PDA

View Full Version : Hulking Hurler Help.

Ninja Chocobo
2007-04-11, 07:34 AM
I'm making an NPC for my campaign. Basically he's a Justiciar/Hulking Hurler who ties people up, and then throws them at other people. I've got the levels sorted out, and I tried to make the CR as low as possible.
The build is:
Ogre (Giant 4, LA+2) Expert 2/Warrior 2/Justiciar 5/Hulking Hurler 1, CR 11.

However, I am unable to come up with answers to the following questions:
1. What should the "Weapon Focus: Any Thrown Weapon" be with?
2. How much damage would a person, once thrown, do?
3. How do I increase the range increment past 10' short of Far Shot. 10' is my melee range. Surely I should be able to throw things faster than I can swing them!
4. Where do people land once they hit their target?
5. Do people provoke Attacks of Opportunity when being thrown?

CabbageTheif
2007-04-11, 07:50 AM
firstly, what is your motivation for being part expert and part warrior? i have never heard of the other two classes, but i am not seeing how the first two are important in any strategy aside from making npc cannon fodder. does it have rping importance? or are there secrets of these combined classes that unleash the forces of raw arcana the likes have never been seen since the DOYLEY!

second: do you have races of stone? i dont, but i DO know that they have a feat called 'throw allie'. the basis of this is that a large-sized creature can throw their small-sized ally at an opponent. it should answer some of your questions. i would say that its aplicable, seeings as its just as easy to throw a tied unwiling person as it is a untied willing person. no dex=no problem.

1-humanoids. i kid you not, make humanoids your proficient weapon.
2-dont know. look at damage by weight, i suppose, then draw up a chart for each humanoid based on their races average weight. a method i use when my characters throw items is by size catagory: large items do d10, medium d8, small d6.
3-dont know.
4-depends. i would treat it as an overun attempt and use the rules accordingly. the person would either land on top of them(rather than running past them) on a success, causing the opponent to be both prone and entangled, OR bounce off of the opponent and land on the square in front of him.
5-only if you want to be a realy mean DM. :evilsmiley:

hope this helped some. happy gaming!

P.S. if you want to be REALLY evil, introduce spiked armor to your tank before they encounter this enemy. unable to resist, the will don it. then once they are thrown, use the rules for spiked armor and grappling to deal extra piercing damage.
knock 'em dead!

technomancer
2007-04-11, 08:06 AM
As for your range, remember, you can throw out to 5 range increments (10 for launched weapons, like arrows and bolts), so you actually can throw your prisoners 50' total, not 10'.

Ninja Chocobo
2007-04-11, 08:06 AM
^^Expert and Warrior are in the DMG. They're NPC classes. I chose the Expert for the large number of skill points and class skill selection, to get the required ranks for Justiciar. Warrior was to get the required BAB. I used NPC classes because they're always non-associated levels, allowing for a lower CR.

^^I don't have Races of Stone, but that's the wrong feat. I'm going to tie up and throw the PCs, and Hulking Hurler works just as good.

^Ah, right. That makes a lot more sense.

Maybe I should keep an empty Wagon around. As an improvised weapon, it deals 5d6 damage, according to CWar.

brian c
2007-04-11, 09:05 AM
I love the concept, but I think you need more Hulking and more Hurling to get it to work... It would work a little better perhaps if you took more levels in HH instead of Justiciar. HH has 1 lower BAB requirement than Justiciar, so you can take 3 levels there and then switch over if you've got the feats. On that note, I would seriously say that taking Fighter instead of Warrior will help you do this right and it won't affect the CR much (for a 2 level change, maybe +1 to CR?)

You need a weapon focus (some thrown weapon) for hulking hurler; honestly it doesn't matter what you take, you're not going to use many regular thrown weapons anyway.

Be sure to read the full description of the class ability Really Throw Anything. I think you should be able to pick someone up with a grapple. You would take a -2 penalty on your attack roll though, because technically it's an improvised weapon I think... Depending on your strength, you may want to pick up a second level of Hulking Hurler for the hurl trick Overburdened Heave, but if your light load (normal limit for Really Throw Anything) is more than most characters weigh then don't worry about it.

As for where your thrown person lands, I'd say if you hit then they're prone in the same/one closer square, and if you miss then they're prone in an adjacent square, roll d8 to see which one (a normal roll for missing on a ranged attack from the DMG). Damage for oversized weapons goes by weight, as per the table in the DMG also.

One last thing: remember that you're the DM, and this is an NPC. If you feel like taking a class without getting one of the prereqs, go ahead and do it. You can fudge the rules a little bit, just not so much as to make things unfair for your players.

Edit: Races of Stone also has "Fling Enemy"; if you're grappling a foe you roll a grapple check (opposed to his escape artist) and you get to throw him 10ft for every 5 that you beat his check by. Range increments are 20/40ft if they're one or two size categories smaller than you. This doesn't do damage to the opponent that you fling, but I'd say in combination with Hulking Hurler it should let you use your opponents as thrown weapons.

Ninja Chocobo
2007-04-11, 09:51 AM
I think I'll take Fighter 2 instead of Warrior 2. 2 feats for +1 CR is good.
I need the Justiciar levels for Hog-tie, which is central to this build. It allows you to, once you've pinned your opponent, tie them up or bind them in manacles.

elliott20
2007-04-11, 09:58 AM
You're thinking fastball special, aren't you?

Aximili
2007-04-11, 10:58 AM
^^I don't have Races of Stone, but that's the wrong feat. I'm going to tie up and throw the PCs, and Hulking Hurler works just as good.

What he ment was that it might answer a few of your questions (and it does)... Such as, which square does the thrown humanoid land on?

Ashdate
2007-04-11, 11:07 AM
You're thinking fastball special, aren't you?

Rule 1 about the fastball special bub: You don't talk about the fastball special!

- Eddie

Amiria
2007-04-11, 02:28 PM
Half-Ogre (Races of Destiny) would be a better choice for the race. Sure, their physical stats aren't as good as a true ogre but they have no racial HD. They are still large and have +2 LA.

You can find the stats for a half-ogre in the Races-PDF at Crystalkeep (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php) if you don't have (your very own personal copy of) RoD (at hand).

Ninja Chocobo
2007-04-11, 07:06 PM
I don't have any of the Races- series!
So I don't want to use the Half-Ogre. Besides, Crystalkeep doesn't tell me the CR of one.