PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Commands

ChubbyRain
2015-03-22, 11:53 PM
As a DM, what alternate commands would you allow the spell "Command" to do?

I'm running a Water Genasi Criminal Cleric of Knowledge and since I get Command for free, and love the fluff/mechanics, I want to have fun with it.

However I don't want to go overboard.

New DM, never met them before... So I wanted a few options before my first session. I can ask the DM a few suggestions to test the waters, so to speak.

I figured perhaps "stop concentration" might be a bit much, but I'm not sure how others see the spell.

Thanks in advance!

Galen
2015-03-23, 12:22 AM
Disrobe sounds like it could be fun.

Also, imagine an enemy carrying a lantern or torch acting upon an Immolate command.

rollingForInit
2015-03-23, 12:54 AM
Babble/Sing/Talk
Dance
Drink/Eat (in a social situation)
Confess (during an interrogation, think: inquisitor)
"Now, kiss!"

ChubbyRain
2015-03-23, 01:41 AM
Just had a thought, probably going to have my PC cast Command by saying "would you kindly"... The wife just replayed BioShock after all...

Would you kindly yell to your allies that "the intruders went out the back door"?

In actuality we are going out the front door... This guard is going to die in a round anyways.

Magic Myrmidon
2015-03-23, 01:45 AM
Just had a thought, probably going to have my PC cast Command by saying "would you kindly"... The wife just replayed BioShock after all...

Would you kindly yell to your allies that "the intruders went out the back door"?

In actuality we are going out the front door... This guard is going to die in a round anyways.

That particular command is quite a bit longer than one word, but it would certainly work for suggestion. Plus, I really like that idea, since that game was awesome.

Hyena
2015-03-23, 02:22 AM
As a DM, what alternate commands would you allow the spell "Command" to do?

Rise before Zod.

Now, kneel before Zod.

ondonaflash
2015-03-23, 02:24 AM
Kneel Has always been a favorite of mine, just because of the sheer arrogance.

Malifice
2015-03-23, 03:18 AM

I like 'defecate' for the luls.

Occasional Sage
2015-03-23, 07:15 AM
"suicide" can be a verb.

Hyena
2015-03-23, 07:20 AM
The command spell specifically states that the order can't be directly harmful to the victim. So, no "suicide". Though, I wonder if "Stand" counts, if there's, uh, an incoming train.

HoarsHalberd
2015-03-23, 08:56 AM
"Swing" can either cause chaos if targeted at an enemy in a group or chaos if targeted at the mayors wife at party.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-23, 10:17 AM
That particular command is quite a bit longer than one word, but it would certainly work for suggestion. Plus, I really like that idea, since that game was awesome.

I watched my wife play them all and if you play the new DLC for BioShock infinite everything makes more sense in BioShock 1. Little things that don't matter a lot but they will make you go Oooooo.

A little wordy true, but since talking is a free action I can keep the "Wous you kindly" part and make the spell one or two words afterwards.

Would you kindly, will be a lot of fun.

Rise before Zod.

Now, kneel before Zod.

I'm thinking early Robot Chicken. Would be a hell of a way to get people to exercise, you pay him to cast command on you...

And really when we get down to it, isn't arrogance the reason humans thrive? :smallsmile:

The command spell specifically states that the order can't be directly harmful to the victim. So, no "suicide". Though, I wonder if "Stand" counts, if there's, uh, an incoming train.

Probably not.

"Swing" can either cause chaos if targeted at an enemy in a group or chaos if targeted at the mayors wife at party.

Read above.

themaque
2015-03-23, 10:46 AM
Okay Mr, Big tough strong armor man, pirouette!

If it's to big a word "Twirl" could be fun. Vomit is disgusting and could be useful.

How cheese would it be to cast on a friend trying to do something and go "Succeed!" to try and remove moral penalties. "oops, can't worry about that, the power of Chris compels me!"

I also really like an example from the comic book PREACHER. It's an older comic, well worth reading if for adult audiences only. To avoid spoilers of an awesome scene I will, put it in spoilers.

In the comic, Jessie Custer has the Word of God. When used, ANYTHING he says people have to do. More power than command, but wait for it.

The scene I'm thinking of an enemy has a gun to his head. If he speaks the guy will pull the trigger. He has time for ONE word...

"MISS"

Finieous
2015-03-23, 10:55 AM
All the ones involving bodily functions and physical self-manipulation.

Chronos
2015-03-23, 04:13 PM
Way back in 2e, the party had cornered a street urchin, or lowly servant of the villains, or something of that sort, and were questioning him about the villains. Afterwards, the cleric decided that the urchin, who had obviously fallen into bad company, could use some guidance onto the right path.

Cleric: "I cast Command on him. 'Pray!'"
DM: "The youth falls to his knees and begins praying..."
Cleric: "Yes!"
DM: "...to the god of mischief."
Rogue: "Yes!"

TheOOB
2015-03-23, 11:54 PM
Many of the commands listed here cannot reasonably be done in one round.

darkscizor
2015-03-24, 12:53 AM
I like 'defecate' for the luls.

You beat me to it... I know I would have posted "defecate" in that exact wording if you didn't. :)

ChubbyRain
2015-03-24, 01:51 AM
I looked up some words from other countries that English just doesn't have one word for... Two that really stood out as somewhat useful for command.

Boketto (Japanese): The act of gazing vacantly into the distance without thinking.

Litost (Czech): A state of torment created by the sudden sight of one’s own misery.

Boketto would mimic hypnotic pattern/stunned and Litost would mimic some sort of fear/paralyzed.

I wouldn't allow this in a serious game it I'm sure there are more nonenglish words that would be great to use.

Hyena
2015-03-24, 03:52 AM
Litost (Czech): A state of torment created by the sudden sight of one’s own misery.

Well, "Angst!" can be a verb... Pity results of the command last one round only.

SharkForce
2015-03-24, 08:54 AM
Many of the commands listed here cannot reasonably be done in one round.

that's fine. a knight with several of the buckles undone on his armour, his weapon on the ground, no shield, and dismounted is still *far* less threatening than the same knight sitting on horseback with a weapon and shield in hand and his armour on properly ^^ depending on how embarrassed a target is, they may spend a round or two trying to get their gear back in place, or may even run away.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-24, 04:14 PM
Well, "Angst!" can be a verb... Pity results of the command last one round only.

Angst is a bit too general, litost is more specific in a way. Litost seems to be more about self reflection than angst... Angst just seems more bratty than anything while litost is more "I reflected on myself and holy hell do I suck".

What I really need is a word for "I hate my friend and I want to lunch them in the face".

Like a specific word would be fantastic, turning this into co fusion lite would be fun. Though in a serious game I wouldn't attempt it.lol

Chadamantium
2015-03-24, 04:25 PM
What I really need is a word for "I hate my friend and I want to lunch them in the face".

This is a very appetizing command.

HoarsHalberd
2015-03-24, 06:00 PM
Either you have a very unique definition of directly harmful or you didn't understand what I meant by swing. He swings his weapon. This would be directly harmful if he had to swing his arm through thorns, or if he had to grip the blade. However attacking something in front of him is only indirectly harmful as it may provoke a violent reaction. Or at least that's how I and all the Dm's I've played with have ruled it.

Kane0
2015-03-24, 06:21 PM
"Yield" is my favourite.