PDA

View Full Version : The Gaming enviroment

themaque
2015-03-23, 11:53 AM
What is your preferred gaming environment? What works or does not work for your group?

How many distractions are allowed?
Should you allow side conversations?
How long is to long?
How long is to short?
Do you allow drinking?
Do we break for food?
Are kids to much of a distraction?

This is all general conversation and ideas that may or may not work for other people. There is no ultimate right or wrong answer.

themaque
2015-03-23, 12:02 PM
I think the best gaming environment I ever had was in the Military. Lots of people from all walks of life getting together and often poor and bored. I had my longest campaigns and some of my best stories there. but for physical environment...

In the Dorms at Barksdale AFB there was a meeting room for the Airmen's Council. It was open to people living in the dorms.

Long Table
Comfortable chairs
Good lighting
close to shopette for snack runs
couches along the walls in case you wanted to get more laid back
convenient for deliveries
Limited distractions for the long games we played at the time
Plenty of sockets for people to plug in laptops.
open window allowed passerby's to see us gaming

That last item allowed us to occasionally increase the size of our group. (And how the GM met his future wife.)

ComaVision
2015-03-23, 12:05 PM
Distractions: I don't really disallow anything (I am the DM currently, and the host always). Texting/dinking around on your phone is at a minimum, though we use this medium for the traditional "note-passing". We had a player that was playing on her phone for entire sessions and she doesn't play with us now.

Side conversations: It's understood that we're there to play so off-topic conversations don't typically exceed a few minutes.

Length: I think this is referring to sessions length? We're scheduled for a minimum of 3 hours, and have played up to 6. If someone is unable to stay for 3 hours, the game will likely go on without them.

Drinking: Allowed, doesn't happen often.

Food: We don't break for food, sometimes we break to grab coffee or tea from upstairs (less than 5 minutes). People often bring snacks.

Kids: Disallowed. I don't have kids and my house is not a good environment. My D&D room has various weapons strewn about (daggers, maces, knives, machetes etc).

Little bit extra: I have a large house (approx 3100 sq ft) so there is a large, dedicated D&D room. It's covered in posters, figurines, and weapons, with the center of the room being a large table. We don't use the room for anything but D&D, so when we're in there it's game time.

Maglubiyet
2015-03-23, 12:10 PM
It's hard to say what works best for me. I've been in the full range from very tight, intimate, focused groups that sit around a table for hours without break, to wild, all-over-the-place, free-for-alls where people come and go and start side conversations and games. Nowadays, with so many conflicting priorities, time is at a premium so I prefer to get right to it with fewer distractions.

But overall, gaming is a social event. I enjoy just hanging out with the few friends I have left in the area and meeting new people, so it doesn't always have to be go go go.

I CAN say that roleplaying in a game shop almost never works for me. Too public, too noisy, too many distractions, and usually a mix of people with wildly diverging ideas on how the game should go.

cobaltstarfire
2015-03-23, 12:24 PM
Things I need

Anyone who smokes stay a reasonable distance away from the location when they need to smoke
A safe, secure environment
A reasonable noise level
Chairs and a properly sized table.

The top one is not because I just hate the smell of smoke but because I have IBS. Which is already pretty painful and at times inconvenient to deal with. But cigarette smoke will make whatever state my digestive system is in worse. This isn't even anything I considered till I played at a game store, cause my friends who smoke hate the idea of their smoke smelling up their homes, while folks at the store just stand right outside the door and smoke. (and all the smoke comes inside)

The middle is a given. Part of it is that the other people in the space don't make me feel uncomfortable (again thinking about the game store).

And noise level is something I can live with as long as I'm allowed to sit next to the gm, otherwise I simply can't understand what is being said.

Anything else I don't think would bother me too much.

Like temperature can be important, but I tend to dress in layers for everything now.

I'm not too terribly bothered by children, even if they are very young, or at that age where they're just little hellions. Most of the annoying habits small children have are a part of self discovery and exploration, so it's real hard for me to get angry with them.

BWR
2015-03-23, 12:45 PM

Hard to tell. We'll usually spend upwards of 30 minutes just chatting before we get to the game. Often times we'll get sidetracked with something we just remembered or with some obscure rules question that isn't directly relevant. We try to keep it brief but sometimes whoever the GM is at the time has to step in and stop us. Gaming is primarily hanging out with friends so we don't get bent out of shape over a bunch of OOC talk at regular intervals.

Yes. See above. It shouldn't distract other people too much and it shouldn't go on too long. While we are primarily there to see each other, we are also there to game, and if the conversations are exclusive it isn't nice to those not taking part.

How long is to long?

Oh, it depends. Sometimes as little as 10 seconds. Sometimes several minutes.

How long is to short?

Is there such a thing?

Do you allow drinking?

Beverages in general? Of course. Alcohol: only if they aren't driving or plan on getting drunk. Neither of these have been a problem because my friends are sensible people. My weekly game generally sees everyone downing a couple of beers/glasses of wine. The other group generally doesn't drink because most have to drive to reach us.

Do we break for food?

It depends. If everyone is eating at the same time, like getting a pizza, then yes. If, like another group often does, everyone brings their own frozen pizza or canned dish, then that would be very impractical given that there is a limited amount of space in the kitchen so people just make their food and eat when they are hungry and play at the same time. since they are all sensible and polite people this is never a problem.

Depends. One friend dropped out of games for a year or so when his first kid was born, then a similar amount of time when the second was born, but this was several years ago and he's gradually been getting more time to play. Another has dropped out of gaming altogether so in that respect I guess you can say "too much of a distraction".
Another was playing the week after his firstborn came along and has been a regular the the better part of the year since. Kids at the host's house haven't really been a problem on the few occasions we've done it that way. Sometimes they get a bit noisy, especially if they have friends over and bedtime has seen some longish breaks as he runs up and down trying to get them settled, but, in the immortal words of the Beatles, it's getting better all the time.
So for the most part, not really. Non-gaming spouses/SOs are respectful of the game and fun and don't pester us and gaming parents put their kids and family first and have so far never failed to let us know ahead of time if they can't make a session (which happens) or have to cancel on short notice (which has rarely happened).

VincentTakeda
2015-03-23, 01:15 PM
We'll usually settle into the game session over the course of the first hour or two of a 6 hour session.
Side conversations do tend to break out all the time. Gaming is the only time we get to hang out, so we game, but we also hang out.
It would probably be better for us to knock out the settle in time and have 6 solid hours of gaming than crank it up to an 8 hour session.
Drinking is allowed, but nobody really drinks that much.
Some bring their food, others go pick stuff up mid session or order delivery. Its all good.
We havent had any trouble with kids in the gamespace.

DigoDragon
2015-03-23, 02:14 PM
I prefer a well-lit area with a nice table in the middle to focus things like maps and combat. Food and drink are fine and i'm not picky with the selection (just please don't smudge my books if I let you use them). I'm very tolerant with children (I am a father) so I have patience when there are interruptions for kid shenanigans. I think the only thing that really bothers me (this would be for when I'm with a group physically) is when players are absorbed into their laptops/smart phones when they are part of a scene and should be interacting. If they're not in the scene or it's downtime/break, I'm okay with electronic do-dads. But if's your turn in the middle of combat against a boss and you're looking at cat videos instead of declaring actions...

...yeah. Uncool.

I can't think of much else. I'm pretty adaptable to most environments. I once gamed in a hospital (Shadowrun was probably not the best choice for that).

themaque
2015-03-23, 02:24 PM
I prefer a well-lit area with a nice table in the middle to focus things like maps and combat. Food and drink are fine and i'm not picky with the selection (just please don't smudge my books if I let you use them). I'm very tolerant with children (I am a father) so I have patience when there are interruptions for kid shenanigans. I think the only thing that really bothers me (this would be for when I'm with a group physically) is when players are absorbed into their laptops/smart phones when they are part of a scene and should be interacting. If they're not in the scene or it's downtime/break, I'm okay with electronic do-dads. But if's your turn in the middle of combat against a boss and you're looking at cat videos instead of declaring actions...

...yeah. Uncool.

I can't think of much else. I'm pretty adaptable to most environments. I once gamed in a hospital (Shadowrun was probably not the best choice for that).

I once had a game we ran at Denny's. The waitress had a character and as she would come by she would check up on things and give us an idea what she wanted to do. This was also Shadowrun.

Edit: Wouldn't repeat this experience.

Kesnit
2015-03-23, 02:31 PM

Depends on the distraction. One of my gaming groups plays at one guy's house. He lives with his parents, so obviously if his parents stick their heads in to ask something, game stops for that. That may happen 2-3 times in a session, or it may not happen at all. My other group plays at my house (which is actually my in-law's house). We usually have to take a break so either my wife or I can walk our dog.

As long as they don't distract from the group. In a group my wife and I used to play with, every once in a while, game would stop while the whole group went off on a tangent. Then we'd get back to game. We lost a promising player once because of that, since he was the kind who wanted to show up, play, and be done.

How long is to long?

Depends on the group, the game, and the circumstances. RP-heavy games, I find, can go on a lot longer since everyone is involved. Combat-heavy games tend to bog down with rounds, and players get bored.

Do you allow drinking?

(I assume this means alcohol.) In moderation, unless everyone is drinking. One of the players in the group at my house brings vodka and mixes it in his soda. He never gets drunk.

Several years ago, my gaming group had a New Year's party, where we were all spending the night at a player's house. We were all rather drunk, and tried playing The World's Largest Dungeon, which didn't work very well. :smallredface: We switched to the card game, Munchkin, which did work.

Do we break for food?

In the group at my house, my mother-in-law cooks dinner, and the other players are welcome to eat if they want. We also provide chips and dips. The other players will also bring their own food, which is eaten prior to game starting.

In the group at my friend's house, everyone either brings food, or orders delivery. We wait until everyone has food, then start the game.

Depends on the kids. In a group I used to play in, the host had a 7-year old daughter. She was old enough to entertain herself, which she did most of the time. Every once in a while, she'd pop in to talk to her parents. (Her dad was the DM and her mom was playing.) One of her parents would quickly deal with the issue (if it needed dealing with), or tell her that "mommy and daddy are busy" if it was something that could be dealt with later.

A child that is too young to entertain him/herself would be a distraction.

veti
2015-03-23, 02:56 PM
1. "Allowed"? You mean there's a way of stopping them? Basically, if more than half the group is not attending to the game for more than a few minutes, it's time for a break.
2. Yes. We're friends, it's a social occasion.
3. Too long for what? When the DM starts to nod off/lose his voice, we've played too long. When one or more players is getting visibly bored, then the distraction has gone on too long.
4. A session that's less than about 6 hours is not really worth turning up for.
5. Yes, drinking is fine (see answer 2). Generally no-one will drink more than one or two beers, but if they do, the play will very likely turn quite silly. Which is also fine, provided we all have options that don't require driving.
6. Yes. It's just neater if everyone eats at the same time. People also stuff themselves with snacks during play, but breaking for a full meal is a good thing. It's also good for us to get some hot food...
7. Babies (too young for independent mobility) are fine. Kids old enough to entertain themselves are fine. Kids old enough to want to play? - haven't experienced that, but I imagine it could be a problem. The only group that I'd rule right out is "toddlers" - much, much too distracting.

cobaltstarfire
2015-03-23, 05:07 PM
Depends on the toddler, they can be really distracting, but they may already be able to keep themselves largely occupied on their own anyway. Although I've never played a game where children were around where it wasn't near their bedtime. So most of the hold up was if they just didn't want to take their bath or go to bed. But since I game with friends that just means we'd socialize while waiting on those things.

If you ever end up with a group where there's may be a toddler around you should still give it a test run to see if it's going to really be a problem or not.

oxybe
2015-03-23, 08:00 PM
What is your preferred gaming environment? What works or does not work for your group?

How long is to long?
How long is to short?
Do you allow drinking?
Do we break for food?

This is all general conversation and ideas that may or may not work for other people. There is no ultimate right or wrong answer.

First off, we game at the FLGS.

Distractions: Don't be a jerk. We're a very connected group: I use my laptop, the store's owner and one other player use tablets. two others use their phones. Most of the time it's for looking stuff in PDFs or SRDs or other abbreviation-based sources, but the primary method of contacting me is via either skype or steam chat, so I try to keep those nearby.

Side conversations: Don't be a jerk. Put a group of people and get them talking, eventually there will be a side conversation. It happens. As long as you don't disrupt other people who are trying to do stuff, s'all good. Plus, as the FLGS owner is a player in the group and two of the players occasionally man the register when the owner isn't around, it's normal to have small interruptions by customers (regulars or just passerbys) to ask a few questions.

Long/Short: I don't really understand the question. Like, session length? we game once a week from ~7pm to ~10pm. Jobs, families, etc...

Drinking: If we're gaming at someone's house and they offer a beer or glass of rum, sure. But otherwise it's kind of bad manners to show up at someone's house for gaming getting sloshed mid-session. During the summer we tend to have at least one big "session" wherein we also have a pot-luck barbecue at someone's house and booze is passed around. We often also do a Halloween session where the liquor is passed around, but we skipped it this year because real life. We also can't do it at the FLGS for obvious reasons.

Food: beyond chips and pop, if we plan on ordering food we make sure to have this ironed out before the session as, again, we game at the FLGS. It's usually ordered before the start of the session while waiting for the GM to arrive (most of us live close to the store, so we're often a half-hour early to help clean and setup the table, chairs, ect... of the play area), everyone chips in $5-$10 and the call is made, It usually arrives while the GM is setting up or a little after he's done, so we get to eat pizza, garlic fingers, cake and whatnot while listening to a recap.

Kids: it's the FLGS so it comes with the territory, but we also play late where the kids are usually home for the evening, so the ones that do come into the store are often regulars (as are their parents) so they know well that you don't disturb people playing games. We've had a few disruptive ones over the years of play, people not from around here for the most part, but a more subtle form of "I am not a daycare, I am a customer." tends to get the parents to wrangle their unruly spawn.

Kaun
2015-03-23, 09:10 PM
How many distractions are allowed?: Im not sure how to answer this. A few i guess. Were all human and it is a game, so occasional distractions are ok. I dont need all 400 funny imgur pics you found this week shown to me during the session though.

Should you allow side conversations? Within reason, as long as they don't cause to much distraction.

How long is to long? Session length? these days by 7 hrs is pushing it.

How long is to short? Preferably more then 4hrs

Do you allow drinking? Yes

Do we break for food? Yes

Are kids to much of a distraction? Depends on the kids. Depends on the day.

Broken Twin
2015-03-23, 10:28 PM
Due to some of the comments in the parent thread, I think I want to try breaking down the 'ideal environment' a bit differently.

Obligations

Host
- Provide a safe, clean environment to play in.
- Minimize outside distractions, and inform guests of potential distractions that may arise.

Guests
- Respect the host's property and living situation.
- Be polite to other members of the residence/establishment.

Everyone
- Maintain reasonable standards of hygiene.
- Arrive on time and prepared to play.
- Inform everyone if there is any known situation in which you may need to leave early.
- If food is being eaten, contribute to the best of your circumstances.
- Respect each other. If you cannot respect each other, than you should not be playing together.

Now, to OP's list. My answers here reflect my personal preferences and situation, and are presented as such.

- If you can meaningfully contribute to the game, go nuts. If I need to ask you give times to pay attention and take your turn, I'm going to ask you to put it away. If you persist, I'm removing you from the game. I won't have people wasting and disrespecting the time of everyone else at the table.
- Short side conversations related to active topics I'm okay with, but you can discuss your favorite video games when we're not at the table, thanks.
How long is to long?
- Assuming you're referring to game time, my group tends to get brain fatigue if we exceed six hours, on the rare occasion that happens.
How long is to short?
- Anything under two hours is not enough time to get anywhere. Our time would be much better served playing Smash Bros.
Do you allow drinking?
- I don't drink at all, but I allow alcohol under the condition that you don't get sloshed. A couple of drinks isn't going to hurt anything.
Do we break for food?
- The available game time for us tends to hover around supper time, so we usually break for it. Whenever possible, we try to plan for a meal to start, followed by game time. Helps to get socialization out of the way as well, so we can be more focused on the game.
- One of my groups has a single father of two. We play at his house, usually after the kids have gone to bed, or when they're at their mother's. It's accepted that the game may suspend at any moment if they need attention. Thankfully, they're both now at the age where they can mostly take care of themselves.

Darth Ultron
2015-03-23, 11:40 PM
How long is to long?
How long is to short?
Do you allow drinking?
Do we break for food?

1.Zero
2.No
3.No Limit
4.Less then an hour
5.Yes
6.Yes
7.Yes

Kids, and non gamers, must be banned from the game area.

Mastikator
2015-03-24, 02:45 AM
1. No playing games or updating facebook on your phone, you can do that later.
2. Yes, but you always stop when someone wants to get back to the game.
3. No such thing.
4. 3 hours minimum for me to show up, it typically takes 2-3 hours to plan, get ready leave and come back, I'm not spending that amount of time and effort if the game ends quickly.
5. Sure.
6. We preferably play long enough that a food pause is warranted.
7. Kids and other non-gamers are banned.

Kol Korran
2015-03-24, 03:23 AM
As long as you can keep yourself in the game, and not stall it, you can do whatever you want. Most of our group is constantly in the game though. One player also checks forums and so on, but he also keeps an ear on the game. On occasions we play at a player's house who also have kids, and then he does things round the house, but we accept that.

Should you allow side conversations? We allow side conversations, as long as they do not derail the mood of the game too much. We didn't have problem so far.

How long is to long?
Our group meets only about once month, so we come to play, we PLAY. Out sessions have lasted between 7 hours to 12 hours. We usually play till a good stopping point, or when people need to go home. We tend to get carried away a bit, which the wives of our plaayers don't appreciate too much. :smalltongue:

How long is to short?
This never came up. When we do meet, we have enough time.

Do you allow drinking?
We allow it, but only one player drinks, and not often. He doesn't get drunk or such. He usually use it to play characters who drink.

Do we break for food? We have food around while we game, but we usually have a Humus break after an especially tense scene, also to give me (The DM) a little break.

We try to play without kids, but at times we play at a player's house who has kids. He helps around with them, and misses a bit on things, but that is quite acceptable for our group.

Other stuff:
- One player smokes. He is required to take some distance (usually outside of the place we play in) on his smoking breaks. Can be tense for him in battles...
- We all use laptops, and I sometime use it for sending them "hand outs" and the like.
- I use quite a lot of music to set the tone for scenes in the game. Works nicely most of the time.

TheEmerged
2015-03-24, 09:16 AM

How long is to long?
How long is to short?
Do you allow drinking?
Do we break for food?

I'm with some of the other posters joking about the word "allowed" in the first item. It's life, distractions happen. Also, side conversations are inevitable (and arguably, half the point of the gathering to begin with).

In terms of length... we're generally pegged around 3 hours. We're typically at the home of the group member that is centrally located to the rest of us, and there's an unspoken rule about not staying long enough to torque off his wife - she's tolerant but the adults in the room are just that and don't want to press our luck. For some of us this is a 30-45 minute drive so anything less than 3hrs or so isn't worth the drive.

I'm going to jump to the "kids" question because they figure into the other questions. Our group has been together long enough (insert lawn related comments) that some of the players at the table are the kids of the original members, and are legitimate members themselves now (and the 14-year old is frighteningly good at Dominion to boot). So while they do affect the table, if you want to game with them when they're old enough you'd better accomodate them when they aren't.

As to eating and drinking - yes of course. We take reasonable precautions of course - the adults are as accident prone as the kids - and about half of us are non-alcohol types anyway so the kids aren't the real reason alcohol isn't at the table. Food tends toward the finger-food level of stuff.

Kiero
2015-03-24, 09:36 AM
The only distraction when we play is the host's daughter. We don't have people messing about with their phones, tablets or laptops during the game, doodling or drawing we all focus on what's going on. Sometimes one of the players is knitting, but that's it.

Side conversations are also stopped pretty quickly, because we record our sessions, and it would rapidly become inaudible, making the podcasting pointless.

Too long for me is more than six hours; too short is less than three. We usually go around 3.5 to 4.5 hours on a weekday evening. We have a "half time" break of a few minutes for people to use the toilet, get a hot drink, walk around and so on.

Alcohol is allowed, though no one drinks to excess, and often no one is drinking. I don't, because I drive and I don't drink anyway.

We don't break for food, it's an evening game after dinner, but there might be snacks.

Kids are a manageable distraction. I'm used to it having two of my own (though they're back at home and usually in bed when we play).

Phoenixguard09
2015-03-24, 09:58 AM
I'll give my 2 cents...

- I insist upon everyone putting their phones aside at the beginning of the session. If there's a phone call or a message that comes through during the session that's one thing, and I'm happy to hand it back, but I won't have players sitting on Facebook while I'm trying to run a game. You don't go to the pictures and sit on your phone and you certainly shouldn't while conversing with your friends face to face.

- You can't really stop them can you? :smalltongue: My group are all friends and view the game sessions as a social event. So I really can't begrudge them the off-topic.

How long is too long?
- I don't know about this one. I record and write-up the sessions later, so sessions around the 4 hour mark tend to be a bit difficult to get through in a decent amount of time. As far as the session itself goes, it depends, but you can usually tell once you start to lose the players. I have three with short attention spans, one in particular who has trouble staying up for games at night, so that's a pretty good indicator.

How long is too short?
- As a general rule, I think you need to have around a half hour per player at the session for it to be worth trying to get everyone together. I'm happy to run a session of less than an hour for one player, but I wouldn't even bother with three players in the same time frame.

Do you allow drinking?
- We have two players underage now, but when we started we only had two of alcohol drinking age. The fact that I said at the beginning that there would be no drinking during the game itself probably cost us two players, but that's turned out pretty handily.

Do you break for food?
- We certainly do break for food. I always schedule the session on either side of a main meal and organise the food for everyone. We clear the gaming stuff away and have a 30-60 minute break before starting again. Inevitably everyone comes back more focussed after food.

Are kids too much of a distraction?
- Well LD was twelve when we started the 3 Coins group, and our newest member, Opal, is of an age with her. We've had mixed success with implementing them into the group. Scotticus, LD and my brother, is younger, and has proved to be a moderate distraction in the past but he is well aware now that he either stays out of the room while we play or sits quietly to watch. His behaviour regarding the game has improved markedly since I took him aside for a solo-game, which I have also recorded. In hindsight, that has been an excellent move because the kid can be a pain, but is really good gaming wise.

Cheers,

themaque
2015-03-24, 10:59 AM
I'm with some of the other posters joking about the word "allowed" in the first item. It's life, distractions happen. Also, side conversations are inevitable (and arguably, half the point of the gathering to begin with).

I was flip flopping on my wording, but as you can see from some posters, Distractions are flat out banned in some cases. Turning in phone, no computers, no books are all rules I have seen.

Lacco
2015-03-24, 12:35 PM
Preferred gaming environment:
We prefer weekend houses. My favourite is my grandparents' house - it's quite large, dark and old, so it has very good atmosphere. No wifi, no internet - that helps a lot if you want to really play.
Otherwise - if possible, we usually rent a weekend house somewhere in the countryside. Solitary houses are preferred, because we can then be as loud as we need.

What works for my group:
- mood lighting (candles, chandeliers... and my favourite - fireplaces),
- ambience sounds & music,
- mood food (we once did a soy-only menu for Shadowrun game, some medieval-like foods for medieval games); we usually cook, not order,
- props (usually weapons - and some clothes - for Shadowrun we had one guy who spent the whole game in shades,
- no internet acces and only laptop allowed in gaming room is the GM's,
- cellphones on vibrate/silent mode; emergency calls can be accepted. We usually

What does not work for my group:
- playing in public; we did it for some time, but currently we enjoy the privacy,
- laptops all around the gaming table, any "ooh, shiny" stuff,
- one day games - we live in different part of the country so when we meet, first day is usually spent by socializing and no gaming is possible for first 2-3 hours.

Side conversations: Usually are not a problem, we have steady pauses so these can happen during them. If the players who are not engaged want to talk, they usually leave the table - so no problem there also. We usually have a rule, that if someone is not paying attention OOC, he is also not paying attention IC - so if it is your turn in combat and you are not responding within 5 seconds, you hesitate and don't do anything (which is kinda dangerous if someone is currently attacking you...). Luckily, I don't have to do that much - my players try to stick to IC side conversations and generally try to pay attention.

Length of session: anything under 3 hours is too short. We usually play for 5-10 hours per session. Once started to game at 5 PM and ended at 7 AM... oh, the headache next morning... :D
Ideally - this would be a prolonged weekend (Thursday - Sunday), 4-5 hours of playing on first evening, socializing during the day, playing in the evening for 3 days.

Drinking: A beer or two, or glass of wine is not a problem. Never had a drunk player.

Food supply: We usually cook one meal per day together - we decide for the weekend menu, part of players goes shopping for groceries and everyone brings something for breakfast and we share. And have full table of snacks. Recently we try to go with the more healthy ones (carrots, apples...).

Kids as distraction: My players don't have kids. I do, but only for short time - so no info from me to this topic.

Geddy2112
2015-03-24, 12:51 PM
Lots of good stuff above.

I live in a College Town, so almost everybody in our group is a student, or was and ended up staying around. We game at my friend's apartment, he and his roommate turned their living room into our game room with a large poker table, 2 whiteboards and chairs. We buy chairs off craigslist for about 5 bucks when the others wear out. Various shelving and a lot of us being former 40k players means we have terrain and models out the wazoo. 2 bathrooms, lots of chairs, space, and a full kitchen/fridge and it has worked well. I don't think we would change up or do anything different. We often have music as a backdrop for settings, and if anybody is a bard or performer they are free to add in music when appropriate.

Distractions
Our group has the attention span of a 5 year old on espresso, so distractions happen. We don't really mind, so long as they are on topic. A "that's what she said" out of character or a funny anecdote about a similar incident when things are not serious is encouraged. The only time we don't allow them is if they are super off topic/out of the blue and/or during an important roleplay or combat. Side conversations follow the same rules-nobody is expected to sit quiet while you roleplay haggling with a trader or chatting up NPC #47 in a bar, but you better shut it when we are 2 failed diplomacy rolls away from a bloodbath. If we are in a lull and you want to text, fine. If you are looking at pictures on your phone in the middle of combat and are not ready to do something, not okay. Texting is a great way to pass secret notes to the DM and players, but we try to keep this to a minimum.

Length
2 hours is the absolute minimum or I feel that I have been jipped. After about 4-5 people start to lose interest and combat gets grindy. We normally play from 8pm-12am and sometimes end early but never past 12:15.

Booze and food
I can't think of a time we did not have alcohol at the table. Being a group of mostly college students and people in the 20-25 age group most everybody will have a couple beers or a glass of wine etc. So long as you control yourself, it is fine. If it becomes a problem, you are banned from drinking at the table. So long as you can play and drink, you can play and eat. Some of our players have night classes and have just enough time to pick up food on the way to the game. Never been a problem.

Kids
Only 1 person in our group has kids, but they are older and he leaves them at home with the wife when he comes to play. Our host did have to start locking the cats up after they became a distraction/jumped on the table and knocked over everything.

DigoDragon
2015-03-24, 02:16 PM
Our host did have to start locking the cats up after they became a distraction/jumped on the table and knocked over everything.

One time I gamed at a friend's place and he had a cat that liked jumping on the table to be the focus of the attention. Course he'd knock over all the ministures on it, but seemed to avoid the orcs. I came to find out with experimentation that the cat did not like the orc miniature axemen, so I set them up around the table like sentries. Cat stopped jumping on the table.

veti
2015-03-24, 03:18 PM
I came to find out with experimentation that the cat did not like the orc miniature axemen, so I set them up around the table like sentries. Cat stopped jumping on the table.

Science, FTW!:smallcool:

I assume the cat then pretended that it had lost all interest in the table and the losers clustered around it.

Phoenixguard09
2015-03-24, 04:51 PM
Science, FTW!:smallcool:

I assume the cat then pretended that it had lost all interest in the table and the losers clustered around it.

We have four cats and yes, this is fact. As soon as they realise they won't be getting food/attention, they just stare at you menacingly from across the room until you notice them, at which point they just look all innocent and walk away.

cobaltstarfire
2015-03-24, 04:54 PM
One time I gamed at a friend's place and he had a cat that liked jumping on the table to be the focus of the attention. Course he'd knock over all the ministures on it, but seemed to avoid the orcs. I came to find out with experimentation that the cat did not like the orc miniature axemen, so I set them up around the table like sentries. Cat stopped jumping on the table.

That is quite interesting, I wonder why the cat didn't like the orcs...

That is something I hadn't considered while posting in here...pets. They could be a problem for people with fears or allergies, or with pets that are just really gregarious/noisy. The main reason I've never volunteered my apartment is cause we somehow ended up with 4 cats. (really even if we didn't, we don't have the furniture for it...but that didn't even come to mind when we were trying to decide where to play).

GungHo
2015-03-25, 08:14 AM
Regarding distractions, I know people have busy lives and wouldn't ask them to stop them just because they came over to play. We're an older crowd and people have girlfriends, boyfriends, wives, kids, babysitters, jobs, and older parents, so hey, sometimes you really do gotta take that call or answer that text. However, if they're clearly more interested in Angry Birds than the game, they can go play Angry Birds elsewhere. We're here to play together, not watch you on your phone. If you want to play video games, we can go play Tekken or Virtua Fighter in the living room. We're basically doing male bonding anyway.

Alcohol is a given. We're adults and one of our bonding hobbies is trying a new brew or spirit, or enjoying our favorites, but we're doing it to enjoy it, not get wasted. We have one friend who occasionally visits and he has issues with alcohol, so if he's coming, we stow the taste test and instead eat fine foods. I am pretty sure he knows we do that, and at first he told us we didn't have to do that, but in the long run, I think he appreciates not having it thrown in his face.

Kids, if they come, go play with the dog/cats, watch TV, or play video games. My wife or one our guy's older daughter will baby sit. We like the dog/cats, and so if they come play, they get to be the guest monster.

Loxagn
2015-03-25, 11:36 AM
My group primarily games over Skype. We used to do so in person, but then people moved which made things complicated... And all of us are in different time zones with jobs, so that has an effect as well.

This one's difficult to properly gauge via Skype conversation. People often multitask when it's not 'their turn', but when things are happening our group's mature enough to stop faffing about and pay attention.

We're all friends, socialization happens. General rule of thumb is to keep the chatter to the chat box, game talk to the call.

How long is to long?
We usually start off at about 7:30 PM (Again, several of us have work schedules that involve late hours), and typically pack it up around 10. This might seem short to some, but again there's very little setup time. Usually when 7:30 rolls around everybody's online and a call's already been going for 10-15 minutes. With so (comparatively) little time, the group tends to be very courteous with that regard.

How long is to short?
With our group, time is usually at a premium, but then, we usually actually have multiple games running at the same time. Presently, there are two 'time slots' occupied, one with a Final Fantasy game I am running, another with a Mutants & Masterminds game. So people feel shortchanged if the session runs shorter than about two hours.

Do you allow drinking?
This is really more of a courtesy thing. If you show up, it's generally assumed that you're going to be of sound mind to actually play.

Do we break for food?
This is generally not a problem either. Food happens before game. Nobody minds if you're eating during, so long as you're not getting up at random to go out for dinner.

Are kids too much of a distraction?
None of us are of the age where we'd have them, thank goodness. Sometimes there'll be a niece or nephew over, but they're usually unobtrusive.

Kiero
2015-03-25, 12:09 PM
Regarding distractions, I know people have busy lives and wouldn't ask them to stop them just because they came over to play. We're an older crowd and people have girlfriends, boyfriends, wives, kids, babysitters, jobs, and older parents, so hey, sometimes you really do gotta take that call or answer that text. However, if they're clearly more interested in Angry Birds than the game, they can go play Angry Birds elsewhere. We're here to play together, not watch you on your phone. If you want to play video games, we can go play Tekken or Virtua Fighter in the living room. We're basically doing male bonding anyway.

I take a slightly harder line on this one. If people have taken the trouble to give up some of their valuable free time to engage in a shared activity with you, you do them the basic courtesy of paying attention. That doesn't mean you switch your phone off; but it does mean you leave your fondleslab or other device of choice out of reach and keep your eyes up on the other people.

If I get people together for a kickabout, we play football for the time we have the pitch, you don't waste time yakking or messing with your phone. We have the bar afterwards to do that. Gaming is no different, as far as I'm concerned, for the time we have, you focus.

Knaight
2015-03-25, 12:20 PM

How long is to long?
How long is to short?
Do you allow drinking?
Do we break for food?

1) Generally I consider it rude to be on an electronic device while gaming, but it's not disallowed so much as frowned upon. As others have said, taking a phone call or similar is not a big deal, playing angry birds or reading general internet news is somewhat ruder.
2) Again, it's not about allowing things, it's more social pressure. Side conversations are very much a thing, though they punctuate the game instead of being there while other people are playing.
3-4) I favor 2.5-4 hours, personally, though 4 is on the long side.
5) Yes, though some people don't want alcohol when hosting, so if that's what is meant by drinking then there are restrictions (though nobody in any group I've been in drinks anywhere near enough alcohol for this to actually come up).
6) Yes.
7) Nope. I've done plenty of GMing with kids around, either the children of other players or younger siblings with a big age gap (as in 10-15 years). I'd even consider kids an exception to my general preference of not having an audience - gaming as a teenager involved a steady stream of sarcastic comments from my parents on the game quality, or a fair amount of actual enthusiasm from much younger siblings. So, I developed a distaste for having older spectators; while younger spectators have consistently enjoyed themselves and made the game more fun.

Heck, I've done some GMing specifically for the younger siblings of my players before (not so much the children of players I've had), and it was a lot of fun.

On the actual, physical environment - Generally either a high table and chairs that fit it are used (what one would expect in a kitchen), a card table and similar chairs are used, or a coffee table with a couch, some cushy chairs, and similar are used. I favor the coffee table and surrounding cushy chairs. Any space where the chairs aren't completely awful, the table is at a reasonable height and in a plane roughly perpendicular to the local gravity vector, and there's a decent amount of space, not too much noise, and minimal spectators works, particularly spectators nobody knows. Public places are the worst for this.

Jacob.Tyr
2015-03-25, 12:54 PM

How long is to long?
How long is to short?
Do you allow drinking?
Do we break for food?

1- Distractions are inevitable, but I ask that people minimize them. Having your phone on silent, not checking your emails too frequently. I'm fine with people having their laptops out, when it isn't your turn sometimes there is no reason to pay attention. Especially if the party tends to split. If you're actively part of what's going on, please don't hold everyone up, k?

2- IC side conversations are encouraged, OOC ones tend to not remain side conversations. If you're discussing not game stuff during the game, we can pause and all discuss for a few minutes.

3- Too long is 4+ hours for me.

4- Too short is probably anything less than 2 hours.

5- I routinely bring my homebrew to games. Err, home brewed beer. Not homebrew game mechanics. No one has ever gotten drunk at a game I was at, though when I was younger members of the group would routinely get high while playing. Never had a problem with it, and rather than thinking games are better when we're super-serious, I tend to find gamers can have a more serious game when they're relaxed.

6- I've had games that were set up around dinner, eating while playing. I've had games where we'd take a break to run to the convenience store for snacks, and I've gamed in restaurants and bars before. Not once have I had a game get derailed by "How ****ing amazing this chicken is guys omg" or anything similar. Again, forcing a bunch of hungry people to sit around makes them more stressed out. I'm not about to tell a group of adults that they can't have a snack during a four hour period. Relaxed gamers=happy gamers=more into the game.

7- Depends on the kids, the parents, and pretty much everything else in the environment. If you can set your kids up with games to play at another table, or they're old enough to watch/learn or even participate? Sounds awesome. If there isn't something else for them to do and they're stuck near us? Why did you do that to the players, GM, and the frickin kids?

I spent several years working for various professional theatre companies, some small town and some major city. Mostly in the front-of-house, ending my time working as a house manager. Adults do what adults want to. Sometimes that is bringing their kids, sometimes that is eating, sometimes drinking. Sometimes they get naked and tie each other up with ropes and hit one another with implements of torture. The main thing is that, if you're partaking of group entertainment, you have to know where to draw the lines. Most of them know not to hungrily munch on chips during a quiet monologue, most of them won't bring kids that are high-energy to something in the middle of the day where they won't have any forms of entertainment. And, apart from one couple I had to deal with some years back, they understand that bedroom activities do not belong at most entertainment venues. Gaming is like going to the theatre. Some shows are about the show going on, some break the 4th wall and involve lots of audience banter, some are kid appropriate. The only difference is that the audience is also the actors. They're going to have "backstage" banter when they aren't on the stage, they're there to relax and enjoy themselves, and as long as they don't miss their entrances or distract the rest of the audience when someone else is on stage, then everything is golden.

Broken Twin
2015-03-25, 01:40 PM
I take a slightly harder line on this one. If people have taken the trouble to give up some of their valuable free time to engage in a shared activity with you, you do them the basic courtesy of paying attention. That doesn't mean you switch your phone off; but it does mean you leave your fondleslab or other device of choice out of reach and keep your eyes up on the other people.

If I get people together for a kickabout, we play football for the time we have the pitch, you don't waste time yakking or messing with your phone. We have the bar afterwards to do that. Gaming is no different, as far as I'm concerned, for the time we have, you focus.

I definitely agree with this view. If I'm asking you over for a specific activity, especially one that requires the amount of forethought that tabletop RPGs do, then I expect that you will focus on the activity at hand. Same as any other focused activity. It's one thing for unexpected interruptions to happen, that's life. But if you're gonna spend your focus on something else, than leave and go focus on that, so the rest of us can enjoy our limited time to do what we came there to do.

Rad Mage
2015-03-25, 01:48 PM

This. SO MUCH.

I had one player join a group midway through a campaign. She had never played any TTRPG before so we took off some time from the main campaign to play a level 1 one-shot to help teach her the game. She spent the entire time on her phone playing candy crush. We all thought this was disrespectful as we went out of our way to help teach her only to have her respond with "I don't really care about the game, I just wanted to get out of the house."

She was not invited back.

ComaVision
2015-03-25, 01:55 PM
This. SO MUCH.

I had one player join a group midway through a campaign. She had never played any TTRPG before so we took off some time from the main campaign to play a level 1 one-shot to help teach her the game. She spent the entire time on her phone playing candy crush. We all thought this was disrespectful as we went out of our way to help teach her only to have her respond with "I don't really care about the game, I just wanted to get out of the house."

She was not invited back.

I've also had a few players that were new to the game. We didn't do a new game but we were all patient while they asked questions and generally slowed the game down. Their attendance was irregular enough that they were asking the same questions nearly every session, and eventually I had to let them know that the higher levels the group was getting to were more complex and I don't think it was appropriate for them to continue playing with us.

themaque
2015-03-25, 02:06 PM
I definitely agree with this view. If I'm asking you over for a specific activity, especially one that requires the amount of forethought that tabletop RPGs do, then I expect that you will focus on the activity at hand. Same as any other focused activity. It's one thing for unexpected interruptions to happen, that's life. But if you're gonna spend your focus on something else, than leave and go focus on that, so the rest of us can enjoy our limited time to do what we came there to do.

. In my own house I have a dedicated gaming room large dinning table with extra leaves for additional length. I've started getting a collection of desk chairs so everyone has a comfortable seat for a longer game. Bookshelves line the walls with books and games. White board on the wall and a bookshelf with mini's organized by type. A drink fridge for mid game snacks and sodas. Light drinking (alcoholic) is allowed and if someone needs a place to crash I have a guest room and two very comfy couches. But no playing on phones or fiddling on your computer. I used to think anything less than 6-8 hours wasn't worth it. My place isn't kid ready.

However, we currently game at my friends house partially because of that. It's kept pretty light. Not quite beer and pretzel's but if we get distracted no one raises a big fuss. They have two kids so if one or both of them have to go away for a bit, we understand. Schedules conflict so we are happy with 4-5 hours. although we occasionally go longer. If people CAN show up early or stay latter, we may keep going or we may just play a board game. It's a lot more informal now, and that's good too.

I used to be HARDCORE Role player back in the day. But these days? So long as everyone is having a good time that's what is important. I was curious what some other people here look for and want in a game.

Kiero
2015-03-25, 02:39 PM
I'd much rather have a focused 3-4 hour game, where everyone is paying attention and keeping on track, than a rambling 6-8 hour slot with people coming and going, and rarely more than half the attendees listening in at any point in time.

Duke of URRL
2015-03-25, 03:09 PM

I take this hard line too. You can survive just fine without using or even looking at your phone for a couple hours. If the game is at my house, I'll ask that cell phones be turned off. There is really no emergency that requires someone to be on their phone all the time.

And it's the same with most activities. If someone agrees to do something...then you expect them to do that.

Jay R
2015-03-26, 10:45 AM
I don't set rules about the environment, but about the process.

During combat, when your initiative comes up, if you aren't ready, I say, "Ok, your character looks around deciding what to do. I'll come back to you at the end of the round." If you still don't have an action then, your character was confused that round and took no action. (I've never had a character actually lose an action that way.)

Distract yourself as much as you like, any way you like, as long as you're ready on your turn.

Drinking and snacks are fine, and we usually throw a pizza in the oven after the big battle, to be ready to eat before we get to the next big action.

[Of course, all players in my game are over 35, and most are over 50. It does make a difference.]

Broken Twin
2015-03-26, 11:19 AM
@themaque:

I'm fine with anticipated interruptions. Having kids you need to take care of is significantly more important than playing Candy Crush on your phone. And it depends both upon the group and the children in question. One group I have has a father of two. They're at the age where they can look after themselves with minimal supervision, but the occasional interruption is still expected, and we're all cool with that. My other group is child-free, and to be honest, I wouldn't want kids around some of them anyway.

Really, as long as everyone in the group is on the same page, I'm okay. It's when you have differing expectations coming together that issues spring up. If you've got a casual game, and a player joins expecting a focused game, or vice versa, then heads clash.

For a focused game, children only work if they can operate without constant attention.

----------------------------

In regards to phones (a common complaint I see), I totally disagree with phones being turned off. Legitimate emergencies are more important than a game. I much prefer to just have everyone set their phones in a dedicated location. Out of the way, but accessible if needed. And I only do that if they're refusing to focus after being asked to pay attention.

GungHo
2015-03-26, 12:24 PM
IThere is really no emergency that requires someone to be on their phone all the time.
Eh, like I said, some folks have little kids or older parents or jobs that require call-outs, so while they don't need to be on the phone, if they gotta take the call, they gotta take the call. Them simply having full lives doesn't disqualify them from being able to play.

Merellis
2015-03-26, 12:59 PM
Really sounds like I wouldn't be welcome at a lot of groups for the sole fact I would refuse to turn off my phone.

My kid has some things that need to be taken care of through doctors, helpers, and therapy. All of the responsibility for scheduling that and handling information falls on me, mostly because between me and my partner, I have the better memory for it and also have most of the information I need on my phone most of the time. I'm also better at dealing with issues that may or may not come up through babysitting. It's not that my partner isn't responsible, it's just that I'm better at managing those things so it's easier to leave the logistics of it to me.

As for my work, my boss has a ton of clients that I do paperwork for, has a restaurant that I manage the books for, and has apartment buildings that I handle the paperwork for as well. Generally any and all issues are resolved during the office hours, but occasionally I'll get a call from a client who's looking to make an appointment, needs to discuss something, or has a question. There may also be a call from a tenant because they can't get in touch with my boss, or a call from the restaurant because something went wrong.

Both of these things rarely come up during my time off, but the phone stays on. I'm not fiddling with it all day, I'm not playing games, I'm not ignoring the game in front of me. All I'm doing is being a responsible parent and worker by making sure I can be reached. That's most of why I have a cell phone, because I have obligations that reach beyond my general 9-5 work week.

And yet I'd be booted out of a lot of your groups simply because I'm being responsible by keeping the damn thing on in case of emergencies.

That sounds all sorts of ridiculous to me because I wasn't aware that the need to be reachable in case of emergency or issues was such a terrible sin in the eyes of gaming.

Kiero
2015-03-26, 01:15 PM
False dichotomies being built. There is a world of difference between your phone being on, but not actually on your person, so you are theoretically reach-able; and your phone being grafted to your hand, with your eyes permanently glued to its screen.

I do the former; my phone is on the same setting as it is when I'm in the office - it vibrates and makes a soft sound when called. But it's rare indeed that I get anything more than a text from my wife saying the girls are taking longer than usual to go to bed.

Merellis
2015-03-26, 01:17 PM
And there's a number of people saying they would demand the phone be turned off. Which is ridiculous.

Having it out of hand but easily obtainable is perfectly fine for me, having to turn it off is not.

Jay R
2015-03-26, 01:19 PM
Really sounds like I wouldn't be welcome at a lot of groups for the sole fact I would refuse to turn off my phone.

Yup. And I avoid any such game. They have lives that allow that; I don't. That's cool.

That sounds all sorts of ridiculous to me because I wasn't aware that the need to be reachable in case of emergency or issues was such a terrible sin in the eyes of gaming.

I think you're being overly sensitive here. First of all, you don't get to decide that those people represent "the eyes of gaming." They just represent themselves. And they can play how they want to, with whom they want to.

If their games have no parents or workers, and are dominated by people playing video games on their phones, then it's a reasonable rule. By contrast, there are no children or teenagers at my games, and beer is available to everyone. Many games cannot legally run that way. And that's cool, too.

Merellis
2015-03-26, 01:28 PM
I think you're being overly sensitive here. First of all, you don't get to decide that those people represent "the eyes of gaming." They just represent themselves. And they can play how they want to, with whom they want to.

If their games have no parents or workers, and are dominated by people playing video games on their phones, then it's a reasonable rule. By contrast, there are no children or teenagers at my games, and beer is available to everyone. Many games cannot legally run that way. And that's cool, too.

I was being rather sarcastic about the eyes of gaming thing, mostly because it sounds both annoying and just plain silly. But given the serious tone that's in most of that post, I can see why you'd think I'm being overly sensitive.

Though I thought it'd be obvious that I don't have some Game Authority power to declare who's eyes are Gaming Eyes. I keep imagine an ice cream scoop and then me replacing eyes with d12's. Which is hilarious.

"FOR THESE HOURS, NONE SHALL BE ALLOWED TO LET THE OUTSIDE WORLD CONTACT THEM. COMMUNICATION WITHIN THE GROUP ONLY." :smalltongue:

"AND DAMNIT MERELLIS, A CARRIER PIGEON COUNTS AS CONTACT! HOW DID YOU EVEN RAISE AND TRAIN ONE!?"

themaque
2015-03-26, 04:45 PM
Again, I'm biased, but I am very tied to my job. I HAVE to have my phone on my and available. There are only so many people who can cover my position, and if someone gets sick, I have to go in.

I was a hardcore gamer, but sometimes life just means that you have to shift your priorities. Gaming IS still pretty high on my list. It's my MAJOR source of stress relief, social interaction, and how I unwind when I'm off work. But it can't be my number ONE priority.

I can understand if my one month on one month off wouldn't fly with people. But the phone stance seems harsh IMHO. However, who knows? they may have some SERIOUS candy crush addicts where the hardline stance is the only thing keeping them from checking every 5 minutes.

Darth Ultron
2015-03-26, 05:46 PM
"FOR THESE HOURS, NONE SHALL BE ALLOWED TO LET THE OUTSIDE WORLD CONTACT THEM. COMMUNICATION WITHIN THE GROUP ONLY." :smalltongue:

Well, yes, this is what I think. An RPG is one of the things that needs focus. And when you get five people, who each get an ''emergency call'' every 10-15 minutes it just ruins the focus. Everyone will spend more time just sitting around waiting for one person that is on the phone.

Far too many people just don't have the right level of focus. They somehow think ''I will disrupt the game, continuously, with my phone use...but it will still be an awesome game, even if we don't really get to play as I'm disrupting it so much.'' They just don't get how crazy that sounds. And when you tell them ''just turn the phone off. You can check once an hour or so for a ''OMG the house exploded!'' message....anything else can wait until after the game''.

Though I come from the pre-cell phone days. I got through decades of life....will no cell phone. As did my parents, grand parents and so on back.

Merellis
2015-03-26, 06:45 PM
Well, yes, this is what I think. An RPG is one of the things that needs focus. And when you get five people, who each get an ''emergency call'' every 10-15 minutes it just ruins the focus. Everyone will spend more time just sitting around waiting for one person that is on the phone.

Far too many people just don't have the right level of focus. They somehow think ''I will disrupt the game, continuously, with my phone use...but it will still be an awesome game, even if we don't really get to play as I'm disrupting it so much.'' They just don't get how crazy that sounds. And when you tell them ''just turn the phone off. You can check once an hour or so for a ''OMG the house exploded!'' message....anything else can wait until after the game''.

Though I come from the pre-cell phone days. I got through decades of life....will no cell phone. As did my parents, grand parents and so on back.

I dunno, if my house exploded I think I would want to know immediately. Also, I think my phone would be ringing a lot more than once if the place I call home is no more, especially given that my partner and kid live there too. And finally, if the house did explode, my part in the game would be over while I rush out to deal with that. Y'know, because I'm suddenly homeless, have insurance to deal with, and need to figure out where to live for the next while. :smalltongue:

My phone will stay on, I'll check it if it rings as my wife knows to text unless it's an emergency that demands immediate attention from me. No harm, no foul. I'll keep it out of reach so I'm not fiddling with it, but I don't really see the issue with having the one device that is used to get in touch with me while I'm out of the house powered on.

And are you really pulling a 'back in my day we didn't have cell phones' argument?

That's about as useful as someone talking about how back in their day people didn't need that fancy electricity or how people lived just fine without cars. It's not like distraction and lack of attention only came around after the invention of the cell phone. :smalltongue:

Yes, people will be stuck to the damn thing sometimes, that's why you have the group put it out of reach so that it's only being used if someone is on the other side calling them, which is the polite thing to do while engaging in a social activity. Even when out and playing sports I'll keep the phone on, but with my stuff instead of on my person, no need to break the damn thing getting tackled.

Emergencies and terrible situations don't exactly choose the most convenient times to pop up and smack you in the face.

veti
2015-03-26, 07:24 PM

That's the kind of thinking that, a decade or so ago, led employers to ban employees from personal internet use at work. Result? Employees had to leave the office for half an hour to perform some mundane chore that would have taken five minutes online. I've never personally worked for an employer that had such a stupid rule.

And when I game, it's with friends. The game is a part of our lives, not a project in its own right. Hence, "distractions" of that kind aren't really distractions, they're part of the game.

Having said that, if your players are taking calls every 10-15 minutes, I think you've got a bigger problem than cellphones - you've got players who don't really want to be there.

GungHo
2015-03-27, 10:47 AM

I'm glad your life affords you this. In fact, my life affords me this, because I don't have kids and I don't have a job that requires call outs (though, I once did). However, I have empathy for folks that do. There's room in the hobby for people for whom gaming is not a priority over life. No one is saying that they want people on the phone all the time. But, we are saying that turning off the phone or not making sure that a text isn't important is probably asking a lot from some folks.

Storm_Of_Snow
2015-03-27, 11:47 AM
Again, I'm biased, but I am very tied to my job. I HAVE to have my phone on my and available. There are only so many people who can cover my position, and if someone gets sick, I have to go in.

I was a hardcore gamer, but sometimes life just means that you have to shift your priorities. Gaming IS still pretty high on my list. It's my MAJOR source of stress relief, social interaction, and how I unwind when I'm off work. But it can't be my number ONE priority.

I can understand if my one month on one month off wouldn't fly with people. But the phone stance seems harsh IMHO. However, who knows? they may have some SERIOUS candy crush addicts where the hardline stance is the only thing keeping them from checking every 5 minutes.
And if the rest of your group knows that you're on call, I think that's fair enough.

IMO, so long as the majority of your concentration is on the game, looking up something in a rulebook, building dice towers, glancing at a TV if there's one in the room, having a quick discussion on something outside the game with another player, the occasional bathroom/drink/snack/whatever break etc is ok. Same for real emergency contacts (the "you need to leave immediately" ones, not "we're out of milk, can you bring some in with you?" followed five minutes later by "we're out of bread as well").

Playing a game on your phone or a console, reading an unrelated book, sitting in front of the TV or whatever is out.

SowZ
2015-03-27, 12:03 PM

How long is to long?
How long is to short?
Do you allow drinking?
Do we break for food?

1. No hard and fast rule. If things are getting out of hand, I'll reign it in and ask people to focus please.
2. I do if they are occasional and not too long. Sometimes I have to say okay, let's get back on track. Especially if someone is in that scene. If we haven't taken ten in the last two hours, though, I'll just call a break instead.
3. I try and keep it under five hours, but sometimes go up to six.
4. I'd like to go for about four hours, but sometimes only do about three.
5. Seeing as I DM with a pint or two, I'd be a hypocrite if I said no.
6. A short break to get the food and get started, but then we eat while we play.
7. I'm around kids all day at work and half my players are parents/couples, so we work around it. It's common for one player or so to be absent from the table at any given time dealing with a kid and we just play through it or switch to another group if the party is split.

oxybe
2015-03-27, 12:57 PM

Yes, but your parents and grandparents et all likely didn't have D&D if cell phones didn't exist in your younger days so i'm sure you wouldn't mind going without that too, eh :smallwink:

If your players are preoccupied with fruit ninja every 5 minutes that means one of two things:

1) fruit ninja is honestly more interesting then your game.

or, most likely

2) the disruptive players don't actually care for the game.

In which case you're needlessly punishing people who use phone, text, whatever as primary contact point because you're unable to identify the actual issue you're having.

If we're playing at your house, it's really easy for you to say "you five people can't have any contact with the outside world, but me, I can, because I have a land line right there so it's not like i'm actually inconvenienced in any way." because people can still contact you without issue.

What you should be doing, is simply not inviting disruptive people to your game because "guy who doesn't want to actually be here" will be building dice towers during roleplay, drawing phallic images on his character sheet during combat or playing pokemon on his 3DS when spotlight isn't on him if his phone isn't allowed.

There is and old tech support saying "solve the client before you solve the problem". And very surprisingly, often the problem is the client.

I've never encountered the "phone issue" because I play with people who want to play. Anecdotal evidence being what it is, I'm in a 7 person group that uses a lot electronic devices(4/7 uses electronics as primary method of looking up rules and character sheets. Even the 3 that don't still refer to our electronics for occasional aid, the GM asks me to look stuff up for him all the time while he's busy with another player). The devices aren't the problem, your players are.

Kiero
2015-03-27, 02:48 PM
glancing at a TV if there's one in the room,

Why would the TV be on if a game is in progress?

Maglubiyet
2015-03-27, 02:54 PM
Why would the TV be on if a game is in progress?

To drown out the noise of the music and video games.