PDA

View Full Version : Best spells for a "meh-omancer"?

gadren
2015-03-23, 01:08 PM
So, in a campaign using a homebrew rules set, my friend came up with a fantastic character concept he dubbed the meh-omancer. The meh-omancer focused entirely on using magically induced apathy both as a weapon (depriving an attacking berserker of their rage, making the guards go take a nap, convincing a scheming villain that their plot was just too much work) and occasionally as a sort of buff (overcoming a monster's fear aura by not caring).

I was curious how well this could translate into a 3.5/PF game without homebrew. How many spells (or other abilities) can you think of that would work well with this concept?

Karl Aegis
2015-03-23, 01:10 PM
Wilders can manifest their powers through apathy alone. Some powers can induce apathy.

Snowbluff
2015-03-23, 01:12 PM
Charm is pretty good.

Greater Forbid action is great in PF if your enemies are not protected versus mind affecting. I've heard quite a bit of swearing because of that spell.

Eloel
2015-03-23, 01:38 PM
Vow of Peace gives off an aura of meh (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/calmEmotions.htm).

NeoSeraphi
2015-03-23, 01:43 PM
I'm at work so I can't jump on the PRD, but I'm pretty sure there's an enchantment spell called overwhelming boredm that would work pretty well. Sleep and deep slumber are both also easily fluffed as "Meh. Think I'll just take a nap". For the higher level spells, binding would be fantastic. "You know what? Life is hard. What's the record on power naps? Rip van Winkle with 20 years? I bet I can top that."

Chronos
2015-03-23, 03:11 PM
What, nobody else mentioned Calm Emotions?

Oh, well.

NeoSeraphi
2015-03-23, 03:52 PM

Oh, well.

I was going to but I thought "Eh, someone else'll do it." :smallsigh:

Eloel
2015-03-23, 04:10 PM
Vow of Peace gives off an aura of meh (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/calmEmotions.htm).

Oh, well.

Nah, nobody did.

Chronos
2015-03-23, 07:03 PM
Nah, nobody did.
And if they had, it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Zanos
2015-03-23, 07:51 PM
I'm at work so I can't jump on the PRD, but I'm pretty sure there's an enchantment spell called overwhelming boredm that would work pretty well. Sleep and deep slumber are both also easily fluffed as "Meh. Think I'll just take a nap". For the higher level spells, binding would be fantastic. "You know what? Life is hard. What's the record on power naps? Rip van Winkle with 20 years? I bet I can top that."
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spells/oppressiveBoredom.html

It's a sweet spell, fwiw.

daremetoidareyo
2015-03-23, 08:12 PM
Here's a spell so meh it hurts. But it totally makes you meh.

Nondescript
Illusion (Glamer)
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 min./level (D) Saving Throw: None or Will disbelief (if interacted with) Spell Resistance: No
This spell make you seem ordinary and nondescript to others. If asked if they had seen you or someone matching your description, creatures who saw you would be unable to recall you.
This spell does not make you invisible, and a guard protecting a restricted area would not let you pass by.

From Fey Feature (Web) (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030613a)

FocusWolf413
2015-03-23, 11:04 PM
Mindrape, geas, dominate person, fascinate, suggestion.

Detect thoughts would help figure out what would make the person apathetic.

Power word stun, whatever the fear bestowing spell(s) is(are), and other enchantments can be refluffed.

pwcsponson
2015-03-24, 12:00 AM
Here's a spell so meh it hurts. But it totally makes you meh.

Nondescript
Illusion (Glamer)
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 min./level (D) Saving Throw: None or Will disbelief (if interacted with) Spell Resistance: No
This spell make you seem ordinary and nondescript to others. If asked if they had seen you or someone matching your description, creatures who saw you would be unable to recall you.
This spell does not make you invisible, and a guard protecting a restricted area would not let you pass by.

From Fey Feature (Web) (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030613a)

It's so meh, the name is nondescript. *bad dum psch*

Kraken
2015-03-24, 12:33 AM
Solipsism, from the Spell Compendium. It induces a state of, you guessed it, solipsism, on someone who fails a will save. There are better 7th level save or be screwed spells, but it fits the theme.

Spore
2015-03-24, 02:01 AM
Refluffing Hideous Laughter to Boring Yawnfest? Material component would change from a mini cake to a small scripture containing only the most obvious and pedantic lectures.

goto124
2015-03-24, 03:06 AM
Meh.I like the name.

Hiro Quester
2015-03-24, 03:28 AM
Glibness, and creative use of bluff.
"You really should be at home. you kids need you right now."
"I'm really no threat to you or anything you care about"
"Guard duty really doesn't matter. You shoud be off at the harvest festival dance right now. Desiree the barmaid wanted to dance with you."
etc.

Spore
2015-03-24, 05:23 AM
"Guard duty really doesn't matter. You shoud be off at the harvest festival dance right now. Desiree the barmaid wanted to dance with you."
etc.

Dancing is way to energetic. *sigh* You could sleep right now. *yawn*

atemu1234
2015-03-24, 09:43 AM
etc.

"Go to sleep. No, I won't coup de gras you."

Taveena
2015-03-24, 09:51 AM
I personally recommend using Dragon Cohort to get a Gloom Dragon (Dr #344) cohort. Their breath weapon is a Cone of Apathy.

ShurikVch
2015-03-24, 10:58 AM
3.0 had more of it (accentuated with blue):

Telepathy (Cha) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Psion 0
Display: Vi
Manifestation Time: 1 action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: One living creature
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 1
You can alter the subject's mood. An affected creature feels the new emotion, but telempathic projection cannot radically change its emotional state. Instead, you adjust its emotions by one step. For instance, an unfriendly creature might be made indifferent, or a hostile creature simply unfriendly. (See Chapter 5 of the DUNGEON MASTER’s Guide for a summary of NPC attitudes.) You can grant up to a +1 bonus on your own (or others’) attempts at Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Perform actions with affected creatures, assuming you adjust the subject’s emotions in the proper direction (you could also inflict a -1 penalty on similar interactions, if you so choose). Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: All living creatures within a 15-ft. radius
Duration: Concentration
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
This spell arouses a single emotion of your choice in the subjects. You can choose any one of the following versions:
Despair: The enchanted creatures suffer a –2 morale penalty to saving throws, attack rolls, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls. Emotion (despair) dispels emotion (hope).
Fear: The enchanted creatures flee from you whenever they are in sight of you. Emotion (fear) dispels emotion (rage).
Friendship: The enchanted creatures react more positively toward others. Their attitude on the Influencing NPC Attitude Table (see NPC Attitudes in the DUNGEON MASTER’s Guide) shifts to the next more favorable reaction (hostile to unfriendly, unfriendly to indifferent, indifferent to friendly, or friendly to helpful). Creatures involved in combat, however, continue to fight back normally. Emotion (friendship) dispels emotion (hate).
Hate: The enchanted creatures react more negatively toward others. Their attitude on the Influencing NPC Attitude Table (see NPC Attitudes in the DUNGEON MASTER’s Guide) shifts to the next less favorable reaction (helpful to friendly, friendly to indifferent, indifferent to unfriendly, or unfriendly to hostile). Emotion (hate) dispels emotion (friendship).
Hope: The enchanted creatures gain a +2 morale bonus to saving throws, attack rolls, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls. Emotion (hope) dispels emotion (despair).
Rage: The enchanted creatures gain a +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution scores, a +1 morale bonus on Will saves, and a –1 penalty to AC. They are compelled to fight heedless of danger. Emotion (rage) does not stack with barbarian rage or with itself. Emotion (rage) dispels emotion (fear).Also,Enchantment [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 full round
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes
This spell drains emotion from the creature touched. The subject becomes immune to fear and compulsion effects of 2nd level or lower and gains a +4 circumstance modifier on saving throws against fear or compulsion effects of 3rd level or higher. Furthermore, morale bonuses or penalties do not affect the subject while the spell lasts. However, the subject’s lack of emotion imposes a -4 circumstance penalty on Charisma checks.
If the subject already is under a fear or compulsion effect when receiving this spell, a failed saving throw ends that effect and leaves the subject dazed for 1 round.
Material Component: A small stone.

The Viscount
2015-03-24, 07:37 PM
Apostle of Peace is certainly in keeping with this idea, particularly the 2nd level ability Pacifying Touch, as it depends only on character level and does not require further investment in the class (which is itself rather strong for many campaigns).

If the character has access to any domains, the Sloth Domain is certainly thematic, and hilarious.

goto124
2015-03-24, 08:15 PM
I remember a Sasuke character who had to roll to care about something.

Spore
2015-03-24, 11:33 PM
I remember a Sasuke character who had to roll to care about something.

All jokes aside, I feel Sasuke being a terrible villain, character or supporting role. Everything about his character is boring, not explained or as cliché as it can get. This isn't something you should even rip a joke character from. It's THAT BORING.

Dexam
2015-03-25, 01:09 AM
Suggestion, either the spell or the Bardic Music ability, when applied as "someone else's problem".

For example:
"You don't want to fight us; it's someone else's problem."
"Don't bother guarding this door. Take the rest of the day off; it's someone else's problem."
"Why don't you give me that powerful magic artifact? That way if anything happens to it, it'll be someone else's problem."

goto124
2015-03-25, 01:21 AM
A Sasuke curse would be funny though.

'I go over to the wizard-'
'Roll a DC 5 Will save to care about his problem.'
'How many rounds does this last?'

Sam K
2015-03-25, 05:52 AM
Dancing is way to energetic. *sigh* You could sleep right now. *yawn*

"Desiree the barmaid wanted to sleep with you"?

Snowbluff
2015-03-25, 08:09 AM
All jokes aside, I feel Sasuke being a terrible villain, character or supporting role. Everything about his character is boring, not explained or as cliché as it can get. This isn't something you should even rip a joke character from. It's THAT BORING.

What, genki stereotype dumbass protagonist Naruto was any better?

Spore
2015-03-25, 09:34 AM
What, genki stereotype dumbass protagonist Naruto was any better?

I didn't say Naruto was more fun. I feel that the protagonist isn't even the most interesting character in most media. He can't die because the frickin' show is named after him and he has to be somewhat shallow so that a wider audience can identify themselves with him or her.

Naruto at least is a decently written shallow character while Sasuke's backstory explaining his brooding feels very retconny and Sakura is just a token female/Mary Sue.

gadren
2015-03-25, 11:40 AM
Ok, let's keep it on topic, please. This thread is not about Naruto.

The Viscount
2015-03-25, 11:13 PM
Crushing Despair could easily be refluffed as Crushing Apathy.

The provided example of bestow curse (only able to act 50% of the time) works great for inability to care.