PDA

View Full Version : A Question Concerning the Reporting of Spam Threads

Maquise
2015-03-23, 01:08 PM
On more than one occasion when I have reported a spam thread, I have gotten really bored of just writing the word "spam." I have, in fact, on several occasions, been tempted to write in the report field, "Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam," or perhaps, "Spam, spam, lovely spam, lovely spam!" for the sake of brevity. I reasoned that the moderators might be bored of reading the word "spam" all day and could use the diversion.

But then I considered that it might just be obnoxious. So I decided to post this thread to get the moderator's opinions.

JustPlayItLoud
2015-03-23, 01:34 PM
I seem to recall the same topic coming up some time ago and the answer was that while a particular mod might appreciate something clever and pithy, it's more than likely not going to be seen. Apparently multiple reports are filed into a single thread so most of the actual reports don't get read.

Keltest
2015-03-23, 03:20 PM
I seem to recall the same topic coming up some time ago and the answer was that while a particular mod might appreciate something clever and pithy, it's more than likely not going to be seen. Apparently multiple reports are filed into a single thread so most of the actual reports don't get read.

Think you can find a source for that?

Roland St. Jude
2015-03-23, 04:16 PM
Sheriff: The software collates all reports of the same post into a single thread...

Please just report or ignore spam, whatever is convenient for you. Report any, all, or none, as you like. Beyond that, please don't worry about the process. Somebody will report it, and somemody will deal with it. Sheriff: If you're the first person to report a spam post, then your report is at the top of the thread. There is an extremely small chance that report gets read. For me, I can see the reported post is spam at a glance, especially if it's massive link spam. I don't need to read what the report says. If you're a later reporter that chance is even smaller because I don't need to scroll down through several more reports to take action.

Don't get me wrong. We're not (all) robots. We do enjoy a good (and sometimes an evil) laugh. But odds are the funny spam report doesn't get read. Also, I love Monty Python, but if I had a nickel for every Monty Python reference, we'd all be eating steak.

Rawhide
2015-03-24, 12:16 AM
Could you give Roland a nickel instead please, so he can buy us all steak?