PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Zen Archer: Viability?

ZekeArgo
2007-04-11, 09:29 AM
Was considering a non-cleric zen archer, and a Psychic Warrior/Slayer seemed like a damn good alternative. Use the alternative Call Weaponry option, then Expansion, Offensive Precognition, Exhalation of the Bronze Dragon (If opponents close) and whatever else would make for a decently powerful archer build.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

storybookknight
2007-04-11, 09:33 AM
I would feel leery playing an archer character without the best Base Attack he could possibly get.

My instinct in this would be to play a Zen Archery fighter; The whole point of the build is to wander around in full plate with an awesome bow.

How much fun would it be to play a dwarf who was an Order of the Bow Initiate?

ZekeArgo
2007-04-11, 09:38 AM
I would feel leery playing an archer character without the best Base Attack he could possibly get.

Eh, your only sacrificing what? 2 points of BaB in this build? Still nets you 4 interitive attacks at 20th level on top of powers and abilities.

My instinct in this would be to play a Zen Archery fighter; The whole point of the build is to wander around in full plate with an awesome bow.

Thing is fighters cant say, Hustle then Psionic Dimension door to get around wind walls, or a number of other decent self buffs.

How much fun would it be to play a dwarf who was an Order of the Bow Initiate?

Since dwarves are rather... meh and the OotBI is very underpowered? I'd say not very ^_^

Matthew
2007-04-11, 01:54 PM
Fighters can already wander around in Full Plate with an 'awesome' Bow using Dexterity (the limit does not apply to Attack Bonus). Its only point is to provide Characters with high Wisdom and low Dexterity to gain a Ranged Combat advantage. It is pretty much the same as how Weapon Finesse works.

Person_Man
2007-04-11, 02:25 PM
Behold the Soulbow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060403a&page=2).

Abilities of note:

Gain Wis bonus to damage. Take Zen Archery for Wis bonus to hit.

The special ability to re-assign your arrows' powers every morning. You can thus reset Bane to whatever you want to fight. Or you can just make them have three different +1d6 damage bonuses, or Wounding, etc.

While you can fire the arrow without a bow, there's nothing preventing you from using your arrow with a bow. This is important, because the special abilities of your bow and arrows stack (though enhancement bonuses To-Hit do not unless specifically stated otherwise). Thus you can have a +1 Composite Bow of Flaming, and Arrows of Wounding, and fire +1 Arrows of Flaming and Wounding with your Str and Wis bonus to damage.

Cleric 7/Soulknife 2/Soulbow X. Be sure to cast Divine Power and use Wis boosting spells/items.

Marius
2007-04-11, 03:27 PM
The Soulbow is great! You can even shoot at close range without provoking attacks of opportunity.