PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Making a magic Item to surpress a negative ablitiy.

Azrael9986
2015-03-23, 06:46 PM
Okay the spell is Trait Removal (Serpent Kingdoms)
Caster level X Spell Level (X2000=Cost) If the item is in 10mins/Level its 1.5X cost
CL9XSP5X(2000)=90,000X1.5=135,000

So is this how this is used? I mean its a little expensive but if a race has a negative ability that is EX or SU it can be suppressed. I know you would have to pick one ability at item creation. That really isn't a big deal. So its not like it would suppress all negative abilities or abilities in general.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-03-23, 07:50 PM
Note that those prices are guidelines, not rules, so it's entirely up to your DM whether such an item would be more expensive or less expensive.

Have you considered using Alter Self or (Persistent Draconic) Polymorph to assume that form, without taking on any of its special qualities?

Azrael9986
2015-03-23, 09:29 PM
Well this was more for suppressing abilities built into your base race then for when you change it with spells. I was getting it ready for the DM so he just has to check over my work instead of do it himself.

atemu1234
2015-03-24, 10:39 AM
Note that those prices are guidelines, not rules, so it's entirely up to your DM whether such an item would be more expensive or less expensive.

Have you considered using Alter Self or (Persistent Draconic) Polymorph to assume that form, without taking on any of its special qualities?

In this case it seems fair for most traits.

sideswipe
2015-03-24, 03:09 PM
which traits are you trying to suppress, vampires daylight = death would be a good one from the top of my head. but something like light sensitivity would be pointless.

Azrael9986
2015-03-24, 09:29 PM
Well for anything besides the stuff like daylight blindness they have 10gp goggles that suppress that. Its for things that might outright kill or needlessly maim characters do to trivial spell A if its above B level or to help even out races that would be underpowered for their LA because of the negatives.

Crake
2015-03-24, 09:41 PM
Trait removal is an hour per level, not 10 mins/level, unless it was errataed? In that case it should just be 90,000, not 135,000

Also a vampire's vulnerability to sunlight is neither ex nor su, it's not even considered an ability. Treating a vampire's inability to survive in sunlight as an ability would be like treating a human's inability to survive in a pool of lava as an ability, sunlight is simply a (very dangerous) environmental hazard for vampires, just like lava is for humans.

KillingAScarab
2015-03-24, 10:19 PM
Also a vampire's vulnerability to sunlight is neither ex nor su, it's not even considered an ability. Treating a vampire's inability to survive in sunlight as an ability would be like treating a human's inability to survive in a pool of lava as an ability, sunlight is simply a (very dangerous) environmental hazard for vampires, just like lava is for humans.Regarding the classfications of weaknesses, 3.5 seems to have a few different ways. Acid and fire are weaknesses for trolls, because it circumvents their regeneration. It's included in the regeneration special quality they have. For other monsters, say a white dragon, a vulnerability to an energy type is listed as an ability. "Slaying a vampire" appears under the the "vampire weakness" section for the template. I'm not even sure where that appears on a vampire stat block.

I haven't seen the text for trait removal, yet, but I'm guessing that in the case of a white dragon, you could remove the vulnerability to fire special ability. In the case of trolls, you could only turn off the regeneration entirely, rather than rewriting the text of the special quality. For vampires, again, I'm not sure what the stat block looks like.

Regarding humans in lava, I did make an epic level cleric with considerable resistance to most elements built into the character's magic armor, once. The DM may not have been considering simulating drowning, but resistance to fire can go a long way (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#lavaEffects).

Azrael9986
2015-03-24, 11:00 PM
Oh my bad it is 1 hour/lv o-o so it would be 90k little more reasonable.

also just noticed it doesn't work on undead, constructs, or oozes for some reason.