PDA

View Full Version : Factotums

storybookknight
2007-04-11, 09:37 AM
Or should that be factota?

Without going into specifics, as it's non-SRD stuff, what exactly is the base concept of the factotum? Does it eliminate sneak attack in a trade for 10+Int skill points per level?

What are the thoughts on the factotum in general?

Is there already a thread, which I have somehow missed?

Lolth
2007-04-11, 11:32 AM
They have great skills (almost as many as a Rogue, but even more to choose from) and some low-level abilities which make many of them even more useful, but their claim to fame is that they can, on a limited basis, somewhat copy divine and spellcaster tricks, and at higher levels almost any trick, on a limited basis.

EXTREME jack of all trades. I love 'em, personally.

ImperiousLeader
2007-04-11, 11:50 AM
Factotums gain Inspiration points, which allow them to momentarily replicate the abilities of other classes. These points are renewed each encounter. They are an impressive class, but they do have a problem with tactical endurance, there's no way to recover Inspiration points in the midst of an encounter, and a Factotum can run
through them very quickly.

A very INT-focused class, they can add their INT bonuses to STR and DEX -based skill checks, INT to AC, INT to damage, etc. Not very multiclass friendly, however.

Ranis
2007-04-11, 12:31 PM
I'm actually playing one right now, and the more I play it, the less I think that the Inspiration Points are limited. I think there's just enough to get the job done for the most point, and it's more balanced than I thought it was going to be at first.

jameswilliamogle
2007-04-11, 05:15 PM
I like the gishiness of the class, and I think they have a lot more potential in their ability to heal and turn undead (at 5th level). When they get it, thats an extra 25 healing a day (assuming a modest 14 Wis). At 20th, w/ a +5 mod, that becomes 160 healing a day. pretty slick, and doable. UMD means they can get their divine casting on, as well, and those Int bonuses to, well, basically everything, makes them potentially good at anything. You could make a disarmer/tripper, a spring attacker, probably not a pouncer, but Manyshot and ranged has a lot of abuse potential (Int bonus applies to all manyshot attacks).

I really like the class, but my card for the next few campaigns and backup characters is full:

Beguiler
Incarnate
Dragonfire Adept
Truenamer
Artificer
Warlock
Factotem

Marius
2007-04-11, 09:01 PM
Or should that be factota?

Without going into specifics, as it's non-SRD stuff, what exactly is the base concept of the factotum? Does it eliminate sneak attack in a trade for 10+Int skill points per level?

What are the thoughts on the factotum in general?

Is there already a thread, which I have somehow missed?

They have less skill points than rogues but every skill is a class skill for them, plus they usually have a higher Int than rogues.
I think that they are really really cool.