PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [League of Pathfinders] Master Yi (PEACH)

Amazo
2015-03-23, 08:20 PM
Revised 4/4/15: Master Yi NPC write-up update, Seven Lenses of Insight changed to better reflect lore
Revised 3/24/15: Changes to Wuju True Striking, Meditation, Practitioner, Alpha Strike, and Highlander.

If you're anything like me, you've wanted to mix League of Legends and Pathfinder for a long time coming. I've finally convinced myself to share some of the material I've tentatively put to paper with all of you! I am looking for any form of input and feedback, but I am particularly interested in issues of balance and verisimilitude with the source material.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130713123846/leagueoflegends/images/thumb/e/e7/Master_Yi_Render.png/215px-Master_Yi_Render.png

Master Yi seemed as good of a place as any to start: he's a relatively straight forward right-click-to-win champ. Mana was a difficult concept to tackle in Pathfinder with a martial character, so I decided to use the monk and it's ki pool to remedy this. I then decided to make each of his abilities as part of a tree of Style feats, since that little niche of feats also seems to fit nicely. I decided on Acrobatics as the skill prerequisite for the feats specifically because Alpha Strike mentions Yi is leaping when he does it.

New Feats
Wuju Bladesman Style [Combat, Style]
Prerequisites: ki pool class feature
Benefit: While you are using this style and as long as you have at least 1 ki point, you can attack one additional time this round when making a full-attack action with a slashing or piercing melee weapon. All of your attack rolls take a -2 penalty until the beginning of your next turn when you choose to make this additional attack.
Additionally, after every two times you choose to make the additional attack granted by this feat , you receive a temporary ki point. This temporary ki point can only be used to activate Wuju Style feats, and it is lost if not spent within two rounds of receiving it.

Wuju True Striking [Combat, Style]
Prerequisites: Wuju Bladesman Style, ki pool class feature
Benefit: As a free action, you may spend 1 ki point to empower a slashing or piercing melee weapon you wield for 1 round. While empowered, your melee attacks with this weapon ignore an amount of DR and hardness equal to 1/2 your base attack bonus + the ability modifier you applied as a bonus to the attack. This is reduced to only your ability modifier if the target has DR/mythic, DR/epic, or DR/-. Additionally, your melee attacks ignore up to 1/2 your base attack bonus + the previous ability modifier in armor, natural armor, and shield bonuses to AC. You may bypass up to half of each of these bonuses in this way. This is a supernatural ability.
Special: A monk treats their class level as their base attack bonus for the purposes of this feat, just as they do for their flurry of blows class feature.

Wuju Meditation [Combat, Style]
Prerequisites: Wuju Bladesman Style, ki pool class feature
Benefit: As a full-round action, you may spend 1 ki point to begin meditating. While meditating, you use the spent ki to bolster the connection between your soul and body, nullifying the effects of some wounds you have suffered and ignoring those still ravaging you. You may continue this meditation for up to 2 rounds. Any effect which causes you to lose actions interrupts your meditation. If your meditation has not been interrupted at the beginning of your next turn after starting it, you heal a number of hit points equal to your level. If your meditation has not been interrupted by the beginning of your second turn after starting it, you heal half the number of hit points you healed the previous turn. While meditating, you gain DR/- equal to half your character level, rounded down, and the same amount of resistance to all energy types. Additionally, while meditating, you may choose to ignore the effects of any spell, poison, bleed effect, or disease currently afflicting you. Time spent inactive due to this ability does not count against the duration of any effects you choose to ignore. This is a supernatural ability.

Wuju Alpha Strike [Combat, Style]
Prerequisites: Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Wuju Bladesman Style, Acrobatics 3 ranks, ki pool class feature
Benefit: While using Wuju Bladesman Style, as a free action taken as part of a full-attack action with a slashing or piercing melee weapon, you can spend 2 ki points to teleport 15 feet and make an attack against a target within reach. After attacking a target, you may teleport another 15 feet to attack the next closest hostile target. Repeat this process until you run out of new targets within reach of a 15-foot teleport that have not previously been attacked by you this turn, run out of hostile targets, or run out of attacks from your full-attack action. Additionally, you are ethereal and cannot make attacks until the beginning of your next turn, when you appear in a space of your choosing adjacent to your first target last turn. Your attacks made while ethereal because of this feat function normally. This is a supernatural ability.

Wuju Alpha Strike Mastery [Combat, Style]
Prerequisites: Wuju Alpha Strike, Wuju Bladesman Style, Acrobatics 6 ranks, ki pool class feature
Benefit: You may activate Wuju Alpha Strike as an immediate action instead of a full-attack action. When you do so, you do not attack any targets until you are able to use a full-attack action, but you do become ethereal. You remain ethereal only until the end of your next turn when you activate Wuju Alpha Strike this way.

Wuju Highlander [Combat, Style]
Prerequisites: Wuju Alpha Strike, Wuju Bladesman, Wuju Meditation, Wuju True Striking, Acrobatics 6 ranks, ki pool class feature
Benefit: As a free action, you may spend at least 5 ki points to flood your muscles with energy. You act as if under the effects of both the haste spell and the freedom of movement spell and receive a temporary ki point every time you choose to make an additional attack with Wuju Bladesman Style. Additionally, you may choose to use Wuju Bladesman Style as a standard action. These effects last for a number of rounds equal to the number of ki points spent to gain them. For each creature you reduce to 0 or fewer hit points while under the effects of this feat, the remaining duration of the feat's effects increases by 2 rounds. For each creature you deal damage to while under the effects of this feat that is later reduced to 0 or fewer hit points for any reason other one of your attacks, the remaining duration of the feat's effects increases by 1 round. A creature with fewer Hit Dice than half your level does not increase the remaining duration. This is a supernatural ability.

New Archetype
Wuju Practitioner
Enlightened Form (Ex)
Your study of Wuju has broadened the array of arms you are able to wield. A wuju practitioner that selected Wuju Bladesman Style as their bonus feat at 1st level may treat a weapon from the Heavy Blades fighter weapon group as if it had the monk special property. A wuju practitioner that selected Wuju Stick-Fighter Style may instead treat a weapon from the Double Weapon group. Regardless of the weapon group of the chosen weapon, a wuju practitioner also gains proficiency with the chosen weapon if they did not have it previously.
A wuju practitioner selects one additional weapon from the appropriate group to receive these benefits with at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th level.

This ability replaces improved unarmed strike.

Insightful Finesse (Ex)
At 1st level, a wuju practitioner gains the Weapon Finesse feat, even if they do not meet the prerequisites. At 4th level and every 4 levels thereafter, they may add a number of weapons equal to their Wisdom modifier to the group of weapons usable with Weapon Finesse. These weapons must either have the monk special quality or be on the monk's weapon proficiency list.

This ability replaces stunning fist.

Bonus Feats
At 1st level, a wuju practitioner selects a bonus feat from the following choices: Wuju Bladesman Style and Wuju Stick-Fighter Style.

At 2nd level, a wuju practitioner who selected the Wuju Bladesman Style as a bonus feat at 1st level adds the following feats to their list of bonus feats: Wuju Meditation and Wuju True Striking. A wuju practitioner who selected Wuju Stick-Fighter Style as a bonus feat at 1st level adds the following feat instead: Mobility.

At 6th level, a wuju practitioner who selected the Wuju Bladesman Style as a bonus feat at 1st level adds the following feat: Wuju Alpha Strike. A wuju practitioner who selected Wuju Stick-Fighter Style as a bonus feat at 1st level adds the following feats instead: Spring Attack and Wuju Nimbus Strike.

At 10th level, a wuju practitioner who selected the Wuju Bladesman Style as a bonus feat at 1st level adds the following feats: Wuju Alpha Strike Mastery and Wuju Highlander. A wuju practitioner who selected the Wuju Stick-Fighter Style as a bonus feat at 1st level adds the following feat instead: Whirlwind Attack, Wuju Decoy, and Wuju Cyclone.

Perfect Mindfulness (Su)
A wuju practitioner is always conscious of when divination, emotion, fear, mind-affecting, pain, and poison effects target them.

This ability replaces tongue of the sun and moon.

New NPC
Master Yi CR 21/MR 1
XP 409,600
Venerable human monk (Wuju Practitioner) 20/champion 1
LN Medium outsider (human)
Init +11, Senses Perception +43 or +33 with low light vision or darkvision 60 ft.
DEFENSES
AC 44, touch 36, flat-footed 33 (+8 armor, +1 dodge, +5 monk, +10 Dex, +10 Wis)
hp 210 (20d8+6)
Fort +23, Ref +29, Will +27; +2 vs. enchantment
Defensive Abilities hard to kill, improved evasion, Wuju Meditation; Immune disease, poison; DR 10/chaotic; SR 30
OFFENSE
Speed 90 ft.
Melee flurry of blows +35/+35/+35/+30/+30/+25/+25/+20 (1d8+20) or katana +32/+32/+27/+22 (1d8+20) or unarmed strike +32/+32/+27/+17 (1d6+15)
Special Attacks fleet charge, flurry of blows, mythic power (1/day, surge +1d6), quivering palm (1/day, DC 32), Wuju Alpha Strike
TACTICS
Before Combat Master Yi avoids conflict whenever possible, but his position as a former champion in the League of Legends and the only living master of Wuju make it unavoidable (a fact he readily admits). When anticipating or suspecting danger, Master Yi makes use of the various tools within his Seven Lenses of Insight to ensure the battle begins on his terms. He estimates his foes' power to the best of his ability to decide on the appropriate showing of force required to end the battle swiftly and conclusively. To this end, he is willing to spend from his ki pool as much as needed. He may begin battle using his boots of speed and unfettered shirt in tandem to mimic the effects of Wuju Highlander. This tactic is sometimes enough to deter some lesser foes outright.
During Combat Master Yi usually attempts to single out a target to full-attack from round to round. He uses his flurry of blows in conjunction with Power Attack, Wuju Bladesman Style, and a two-handed grip on his temple sword as frequently as possible. After receiving a bonus ki point from Wuju Bladesman Style, Master Yi usually activates Wuju True Striking before the point expires, or, if he anticipates a particularly dangerous maneuver from his foes, he will delay his action before using Wuju Alpha Strike to avoid as much of the danger as possible. If fighting as part of a group, he will also occasionally use Wuju Meditation to recover from his injuries or to reduce the damage of an unavoidable incoming attack. Against particularly dangerous foes or group of foes, Master Yi will activate Wuju Highlander to try and even the odds. If that were to expire, he would use any remaining power from his boots of speed and unfettered shirt to finish such a truly desperate struggle.
Base Statistics When not under the effects of haste, Master Yi's statistics are AC 43, touch 35, flat-footed 32; Ref +28; Melee flurry of blows +34/+34/+29/+29/+24/+24/+19 (1d8+20) or katana +31/+31/+26/+21 (1d8+20) or unarmed strike +31/+31/+26/+16 (1d6+15).
STATISTICS
Str 14, Dex 32, Con 22, Int 16, Wis 30, Cha 16
Base Atk +15; CMB +17 (+19 for bull rush, disarm, or trip); CMD 54 (56 vs. grapple, reposition, and trip)
Feats Combat Patrol, Combat Reflexes, Following Step, Improved Critical (katana), Mobility, Mythic Power Attack, Power Attack, Slashing Grace (katana), Spring Attack, Step Up, Step Up and Strike, Weapon Focus (katana), Weapon Finesse, Wuju Alpha Strike, Wuju Alpha Strike Mastery, Wuju Bladesman Style, Wuju Highlander, Wuju Meditation, Wuju True Striking
Skills Acrobatics +34, Climb +9, Escape Artist +19, Heal +15, Knowledge (history) +11, Knowledge (local) +23, Knowledge (religion) +11, Perform (comedy) +7, Perform (dance) +7, Perception +43 or +33, Sense Motive +33, Stealth +19, Survival +15, Swim +9
Languages Common, Ionian
SQ abundant step, diamond body, diamond soul, empty body, enlightened form, fast movement, high jump, hard to kill, inherent bonuses, insightful finesse, ki pool (22 points, adamantine, lawful, magic), longevity, maneuver training, perfect mindfulness, perfect self, purity of body, slow fall any distance, timeless body, wholeness of body
Combat Gear +5 glamered ki intensifying katana, belt of physical might (Dex/Con) +6 , boots of speed, bracers of armor +8, cloak of resistance +5, headband of inspired wisdom +6, necklace of ki serenity , ring of adept maneuvers (full), ring of ki mastery (full), Seven Lenses of Insight, unfettered shirt, and 8,000 gp in mundane equipment, survival gear, clothing, historical and religious artifacts recovered from the remains of his village, and Wuju teaching materials
Enlightened Form
Master Yi is proficient with the double walking stick katana, katana, nine ring broadsword, nodachi, seven-branched sword, and shotel and treats them as monk weapons.
Inherent Bonuses
Master Yi has used a manual of bodily health +4, manual of gainful exercise +1, manual of quickness of action +5, tome of clear thought +1, tome of leadership and influence +1, and a tome of understanding +5, all recovered from the ruins of his village, to increase his Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma.
Insightful Finesse
Master Yi may use the Weapon Finesse feat with all weapons he is proficient with.

New Wondrous Item
Seven Lenses of Insight
Aura moderate divination; CL 9th
Slot head and eyes; Price 24150 gp; Weight 5 lbs.
This traditional Ionian warrior cap and helm give way to an unnerving array of seven glowing green glass lens in place of the expected facemask. The whole apparatus whirs and creaks with magically-powered internal mechanics rotating, adjusting, and rearranging each scope and lens as needed. The wearer of this headgear may freely switch between the benefits of using a green veemod, a tinker's cap, a +6 telescope, a spyglass, goggles of night, or eyes of the owl. The Lenses detect the wearer's thoughts to switch to the desired visual apparatus, taking only a swift action of focus to calibrate them appropriately to the new necessary settings. Each set of Lenses is fitted to a particular wearer. It costs an additional 2300 gp to adjust the hundreds of moving parts and rework the magic keeping the piece running to a new user.
CONSTRUCTION
Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, true seeing; Cost 12075 gp

Kamai
2015-03-23, 10:19 PM
If I may take a poke at the Wuju style feats at least:

Wuju True Striking: I'm really not sure where you're coming at this with the extra bleed damage, especially where he would be doing the same thing to say a Blitzcrank as he is to a fleshy target, which a D&D bleed wouldn't do. Given that you can really only use this a few times a day (maybe a little more with Bladesman style), I think this would map closer to true damage like this:

As a free action, you may spend 1 ki to empower a slashing or piercing melee weapon for 1 round. While empowered, your melee attacks with this weapon ignore an amount of DR and hardness equal to your 1/2 your BAB + the ability modifier you used for the attack. This is reduced to your ability modifier if the target has DR/mythic or DR/epic. These attacks also your ignore your BAB + the ability modifier worth of armor, natural armor, and shield bonuses not granted by a force effect. This bonus cannot exceed 1/2 of all of their armor bonuses from these sources.

Special: A monk can use his Flurry of Blows BAB for this feat, even if he is not currently using Flurry of Blows.

This puts it as a better Greater Penetrating Strike at level 20, but also costs resources to keep up.

Wuju Meditation: So unless I'm taking a lot of attacks, I'm spending a feat to double the effects of Wholeness of Body? This could use another pass to make it worth using once in a while over finding some way to kill the enemy. Maybe: While meditating, the Bladesman can repel ravages on his body. He may decide that any poison, spell, bleed effect, or disease does not affect him in any way while meditating. While he does so, the duration of the effect does not elapse.

Wuju Alpha Strike: My first thought is that this is better with a Longspear than a sword, which I'm not sure that you intended. Second, even though I get what you're getting at, +reach seems to scream Kayle's Righteous Fury, not Alpha Strike. Given that you're asking for Yi to take 4 feats to get this, I don't think it'd be out of it's power level to actually let you teleport 15 feet to each new target, choosing where you want to land at the end of it. I would love to see a feat that branches out of this that lets you do the split second blink to dodge a spell or attack that you can pull off with League's Yi.

Wuju Highlander: Just put the cost at any amount of Ki (minimum 5). I really understand the insane effect the ult should allow, but you shouldn't have to cut access to your basic abilities for the rest of the day unless you choose to. At how much ki you are asking the Yi to burn, though, I feel like I'd also like to see the ability to Bladesman Style as a standard action, furthering the theme of enemies never being able to escape.

Wuju Practitioner: I'd like the option to add weapons of the Heavy Blade group (for Bladesman) or Double (for Stick Fighter) to the monk list also. The Bladesman really should be able to run this with a Bastard sword, Elven Curve Blade, or other hand and a half or light 2 handed swords, even though those aren't monk weapons. Without seeing Stick Fighter (but knowing Wukong), it's hard to tell whether the proper extension would be double or hammer weapons.

If you want more help on this project or would like some submissions, I'd love to try to help. I would personally advise to think bigger and figure out where you need to pare down, instead of starting small. Especially for the monk/fighter types you work on.

Amazo
2015-03-24, 02:05 AM
If I may take a poke at the Wuju style feats at least:

Wuju True Striking: I'm really not sure where you're coming at this with the extra bleed damage, especially where he would be doing the same thing to say a Blitzcrank as he is to a fleshy target, which a D&D bleed wouldn't do. Given that you can really only use this a few times a day (maybe a little more with Bladesman style), I think this would map closer to true damage like this:

As a free action, you may spend 1 ki to empower a slashing or piercing melee weapon for 1 round. While empowered, your melee attacks with this weapon ignore an amount of DR and hardness equal to your 1/2 your BAB + the ability modifier you used for the attack. This is reduced to your ability modifier if the target has DR/mythic or DR/epic. These attacks also your ignore your BAB + the ability modifier worth of armor, natural armor, and shield bonuses not granted by a force effect. This bonus cannot exceed 1/2 of all of their armor bonuses from these sources.

Special: A monk can use his Flurry of Blows BAB for this feat, even if he is not currently using Flurry of Blows.

This puts it as a better Greater Penetrating Strike at level 20, but also costs resources to keep up.

Truthfully, the bleed damage was because Wuju Style used to do a very small amount of true damage over time scaling with Attack Damage. I had not noticed the change to the ability since it constituted such a small part of his DPS. I like your ideas for the feat, though it does introduce the oddity of having DR/- being easier to bypass than DR/mythic and DR/epic.

Wuju Meditation: So unless I'm taking a lot of attacks, I'm spending a feat to double the effects of Wholeness of Body? This could use another pass to make it worth using once in a while over finding some way to kill the enemy. Maybe: While meditating, the Bladesman can repel ravages on his body. He may decide that any poison, spell, bleed effect, or disease does not affect him in any way while meditating. While he does so, the duration of the effect does not elapse.

You basically surmised my entire intention for the feat straight off, yeah. While your take on the feat does a much better job at capturing the benefit of starting his meditation at crucial moments, it makes it too difficult of an effect to end. If he ignores all of those effects, especially spells, very few things can stop the channeling, which is almost trivially easy to stop in League.

Wuju Alpha Strike: My first thought is that this is better with a Longspear than a sword, which I'm not sure that you intended. Second, even though I get what you're getting at, +reach seems to scream Kayle's Righteous Fury, not Alpha Strike. Given that you're asking for Yi to take 4 feats to get this, I don't think it'd be out of it's power level to actually let you teleport 15 feet to each new target, choosing where you want to land at the end of it. I would love to see a feat that branches out of this that lets you do the split second blink to dodge a spell or attack that you can pull off with League's Yi.

My greatest reservation with the outright teleport was that I couldn't bring up a similar ability as a reference for the relative power of this ability. The closest thing I can think of off-hand is the 3.5 Dervish PrC's dance, letting you full-attack while moving your speed. This feat has enough prerequisites to take approximately as long as taking 5 levels of a PrC though, so upping the power does certainly seem reasonable. As for your mentioning of the split-second dodge with Alpha Strike, I'd love to show you how I was thinking of Yasuo and Riven since their kits have so many commonalities and they practice the same style. Perhaps another feat, Alpha Strike Mastery or something similar, allowing the going ethereal portion to be activated as an immediate action and reappearing on the Material at the end of the full attack?

Wuju Highlander: Just put the cost at any amount of Ki (minimum 5). I really understand the insane effect the ult should allow, but you shouldn't have to cut access to your basic abilities for the rest of the day unless you choose to. At how much ki you are asking the Yi to burn, though, I feel like I'd also like to see the ability to Bladesman Style as a standard action, furthering the theme of enemies never being able to escape.

My assumption was that anyone going for this style would be rolling around with at least one ki storing item on them to have access to Bladesman Style, thus the minimum of 5 (by my count, 4 is the max you can have stored in items). Being able to get at least two or three uses out of the ability each day is certainly more like how often the ability is actually usable in game though. Full-attacking with Bladesman as a standard action is definitely an interesting proposition. I don't know that the -2 to the attacks would be enough to bring it in line it, but it does bring a pseudo-martial character closer to the wizard's 15 minute adventuring day standard, so I'm not entirely opposed.

Wuju Practitioner: I'd like the option to add weapons of the Heavy Blade group (for Bladesman) or Double (for Stick Fighter) to the monk list also. The Bladesman really should be able to run this with a Bastard sword, Elven Curve Blade, or other hand and a half or light 2 handed swords, even though those aren't monk weapons. Without seeing Stick Fighter (but knowing Wukong), it's hard to tell whether the proper extension would be double or hammer weapons.

My original desire was to have Yi going with a katana, but the decision to make him a monk early on stapled the temple sword to his hands for me. Off the top of my head, I'd introduce a new ability to replace the unarmed attack progression, since it's not particularly vital to either character (Wukong would need IUS for one of his spell animations though).

Enlightened Form
Your study of Wuju has broadened the array of arms you are able to wield. A wuju practitioner that selected Wuju Bladesman Style as their bonus feat at 1st level may treat a weapon from the Heavy Blades fighter weapon group as if it had the monk special property. A wuju practitioner that selected Wuju Stick-Fighter Style may instead treat a weapon from the Double Weapon group.

A wuju practitioner selects one additional weapon from the appropriate group to treat as if it had the monk special property at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th level.

This ability replaces improved unarmed strike.

If you want more help on this project or would like some submissions, I'd love to try to help. I would personally advise to think bigger and figure out where you need to pare down, instead of starting small. Especially for the monk/fighter types you work on.

I'd love to see what the community would come up with! This is a pet project I've had rattling around my brainspace, but I'm sure you all have great ideas that could be brought to bear.

My plan for Wukong was to have Wuju Stick-Fighter represent his Crushing Blow. My first draft of it was to spend a swift action to have the reach property for one attack and add 1.5 Strength on that attack if with a one-handed or double weapon. Nimbus Strike and Cyclone would also be based on his full-attack routine in my version, so additional attacks from double weapons would likely be the way to go for him.

Kamai
2015-03-24, 02:38 AM
Truthfully, the bleed damage was because Wuju Style used to do a very small amount of true damage over time scaling with Attack Damage. I had not noticed the change to the ability since it constituted such a small part of his DPS. I like your ideas for the feat, though it does introduce the oddity of having DR/- being easier to bypass than DR/mythic and DR/epic.

Yeah, I had Greater Penetrating Strike mixed up. If we go off of that, it would be just DR/-, but adding DR/- to the list I have up would probably be more sensical for this ability.

You basically surmised my entire intention for the feat straight off, yeah. While your take on the feat does a much better job at capturing the benefit of starting his meditation at crucial moments, it makes it too difficult of an effect to end. If he ignores all of those effects, especially spells, very few things can stop the channeling, which is almost trivially easy to stop in League.

My intent is that you would only catch effects that were on at the start of mediate, not stop new ones. I did word it poorly, though.

My assumption was that anyone going for this style would be rolling around with at least one ki storing item on them to have access to Bladesman Style, thus the minimum of 5 (by my count, 4 is the max you can have stored in items). Being able to get at least two or three uses out of the ability each day is certainly more like how often the ability is actually usable in game though. Full-attacking with Bladesman as a standard action is definitely an interesting proposition. I don't know that the -2 to the attacks would be enough to bring it in line it, but it does bring a pseudo-martial character closer to the wizard's 15 minute adventuring day standard, so I'm not entirely opposed.

I did intend on keeping the minimum 5. I honestly didn't think of ki-storing items, and that would alleviate the problems that I had of his ult shutting down the rest of his abilities when it was over. I also wasn't suggesting a full-attack, but on the full-stop ki drain version, it wouldn't be too crazy. I was only suggesting that he gets the second attack at -2 on movement.

Amazo
2015-03-24, 09:49 AM
Yeah, I had Greater Penetrating Strike mixed up. If we go off of that, it would be just DR/-, but adding DR/- to the list I have up would probably be more sensical for this ability.

I think that adding it to the list of reduced effect DRs is the better idea as well. I personally like having the ability scale of off BAB as well, but to capture the fact that the ability automatically reaches a certain competence with each rank, I wanted your opinion on having it have 1/2 level scaling instead of 1/2 BAB. I suppose it depends on whether or not we want ninjas and some rogues to prefer True Striking to Greater Penetrating Strike.

My intent is that you would only catch effects that were on at the start of mediate, not stop new ones. I did word it poorly, though.

Oh, that makes much more sense now. That definitely emulates it's use quite well!

I did intend on keeping the minimum 5. I honestly didn't think of ki-storing items, and that would alleviate the problems that I had of his ult shutting down the rest of his abilities when it was over. I also wasn't suggesting a full-attack, but on the full-stop ki drain version, it wouldn't be too crazy. I was only suggesting that he gets the second attack at -2 on movement.
Personally, I prefer having the ability to use it multiple times a day to add some versatility to the ability as you recommended. I don't know how fair it is of me to assume a character to have certain items aside from the default math fix items, but minimum 5 leaves him with a nice amount of time to try and get a kill to extend it regardless. Two attacks as a standard action on the "lesser" version sounds like an excellent sweet spot to me: it's a unique benefit and it has a nominal penalty for its great ability.

Kamai
2015-03-24, 11:14 AM
I think that adding it to the list of reduced effect DRs is the better idea as well. I personally like having the ability scale of off BAB as well, but to capture the fact that the ability automatically reaches a certain competence with each rank, I wanted your opinion on having it have 1/2 level scaling instead of 1/2 BAB. I suppose it depends on whether or not we want ninjas and some rogues to prefer True Striking to Greater Penetrating Strike.

Since every class progresses BAB some, either one is going to show a certain competence at leveling up. The only thing that I see about 1/2 character level scaling is that levels in full casting classes progress this as fast as Monk or Rogue levels.

Amazo
2015-03-24, 11:58 AM
Since every class progresses BAB some, either one is going to show a certain competence at leveling up. The only thing that I see about 1/2 character level scaling is that levels in full casting classes progress this as fast as Monk or Rogue levels.

That would be quite an oddity, wouldn't it? Good catch!

Amazo
2015-03-24, 01:24 PM
I've updated most of the material with the suggestions I received.

I had set a few base rules for myself when coming up with the first drafts of some abilities. I'd like to know if they seem reasonable as a standard for future pieces.

Auto-attack resetting abilities (Leona's Q, Darius' W, etc.) are treated as special melee attacks, rather than granting extra attacks or something similar.
Skill shots or anything that can be avoided with positioning grants a Reflex save.
Most targeted abilities get some other kind of save. An exception would be Gangplank's Parrrley, since the ability would just be a normal attack with a firearm and the mana being spent likely represents ammo.

I also wanted to know if granting proficiency in the weapon gained through Enlightened Form seemed like going overboard. Improved Unarmed Strike has some pretty extensive changes, so not including proficiency seemed like an unfair trade.

Kamai
2015-03-25, 12:35 AM
For positioning based abilities, Reflex might not always be the best answer. I can imagine something like Mystic Shot simply being a ranged touch attack, while Soul Shackles could easily be no save, just a 1 round (like Summon Monster) cast time. Something like Howling Gale could easily just be a Bull Rush maneuver. I wouldn't use a Reflex save as a last resort, but a first resort means that really high Reflex saves destroy most of your added League abilities. Go to the essence of the move, not just how it plays in the game. Some examples:
Ahri's Charm, while a skillshot, is best represented as a Will Save.
The various hooks are better represented by Grapple Checks, which has some element of dodging in it.
Mystic shot would easily be a ranged attack, even though it's represented by a skillshot.
Howling Gale could as easily be a Fortitude save.

The other parts I fully agree with, as long as you keep in mind that there might be exceptions.

Enlightened Form: Proficiency would not be at all overkill. Remember that Monk Unarmed strike is supposed to eventually give you a weapon more damaging than an exotic weapon, so getting proficiency is a bit frontloaded, but not too strong.

Amazo
2015-03-25, 01:15 PM
Of course there would be exceptions. I must ask how familiar with all of the League's champs are you? Because I would definitely need some help nailing down the feel of some champs abilities. I probably have at least a few matches clocked with 80% of them, but it's hard to keep up with the brand new (read: expensive) ones.

Kamai
2015-03-25, 06:48 PM
Personally, I'm pretty familiar, though there are probably some gaps, mainly around champions that live top lane. I would also think that the League megathread on these forums would be able to give you some help.