PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian PrC, with a Few Restrictions

The_Werebear
2007-04-11, 10:20 AM
Since vanilla Fighter/Barbarian lacks some of the cooler class features I could get, I decided to try and Prestige out once possible. However, I ran into a few problems.

1) I can't do Frenzied Berserker. My DM took one look and nixed it (oddly enough, he is letting me do Leap Attack/Shock Trooper), and I have such a bad will save anyway that I would probably slaughter my party after getting a bugbite anyway.

2) Bear Warrior was my second choice, but I dropped it because it didn't really fit with the concept of my character (he is just an angry dwarf, not particularly nature focused) and being a bear would prevent me from using any nifty magic items.

So, any good suggestions?
Dwarven Barbarian 3/Fighter 2
Feat List: (I can probably convince my DM to let me retrain if needed)
Intimidating Rage
Track(Gotten with Flaw: Vulnurable)
Power Attack
Imp Bull Rush
Leap Attack
Next Level: Shock Trooper

Maryring
2007-04-11, 10:24 AM
Hmm... what's your alignment? I'm thinking you could try a "Champion of Gwynharwyf" from the BoED. You might want to retrain two feats so that you can qualify for it though. It improves your rage, gives you immunity to charms and compulsions and spells, plus more. I could send you more information if you want.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-11, 10:27 AM
Totem Rager, from Magic of Incarnum. Requires two levels of Totemist and a feat investiture of Cobalt Rage, but it's pretty sweet.

The_Werebear
2007-04-11, 10:27 AM
Alignment is CG, but with occasional Dips into CN (Drug smuggling, shaving the eyebrows of someone who he knocked out for making short jokes, and rigging a drinking contests)

squishycube
2007-04-11, 10:40 AM
Not to plug my own work, obviously but I made a Barbarian PrC a while back because there are so few. It focuses on Rage and becoming a giant of anger.

The Giant Fury (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11404)
It might need some tweaks, I made it two years ago, and there are some typos in there.

Maryring
2007-04-11, 10:42 AM
Well, the class requires two exalted feats to enter, but it is an incredibly great class for a barbarian. The only bad thing is that you need a charisma of 14 in order to cast the spells.

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-04-11, 10:45 AM
RAGE MAGE!!!!!!

But in all seriousness, i think most of the "good" barbarian PrCs i've seen are for evil barbarians. If it can be just any combat PrC you might have better options, i'd retrain intinidating rage, personnaly, in favor of something that would get me into a good PrC

The_Werebear
2007-04-11, 10:49 AM
But in all seriousness, i think most of the "good" barbarian PrCs i've seen are for evil barbarians. If it can be just any combat PrC you might have better options, i'd retrain intinidating rage, personnaly, in favor of something that would get me into a good PrC

I've noticed :smallannoyed:

Yeah, my original plan was Frenzied Berserker, which is what Intimidating rage was there for, but it got cut and I was waiting to change it until I found what I needed.

Maryring
2007-04-11, 10:53 AM
Champion of Gwynharwyf is very powerful though. 8 spells, Divine grace, immunity to charms and compulsion, full BAB AND the levels stack with regular Barbarian levels to determine Rage? Yes, it is one of my favourite barbarian PrCs.

The_Werebear
2007-04-11, 10:56 AM
My character isn't nearly exalted enough though. And there is the other slight problem that he quite frevently worships the dwarven god of getting drunk and hitting stuff with axes.

Maryring
2007-04-11, 11:00 AM
Yeah. That is a large problem since Gwynharwyf requires you to hit evil stuff with your axe. Unfortunately, I don't know any other good Barbarian PrC that will suit you. Perhaps later, if I can check the Complete Warrior at my friend's place. Though hopefully you've got your PrC before that.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-11, 11:06 AM
My character isn't nearly exalted enough though. And there is the other slight problem that he quite frevently worships the dwarven god of getting drunk and hitting stuff with axes.

Like I said: Totem Rager.

Person_Man
2007-04-11, 11:42 AM
Frostrager (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040911a&page=3) is quite good if you can find a team member willing to take Energy Substitution so that he can drop Cold Fireballs into the middle of battle.

Use the Whirling Frenzy Rage variant, Knock-Down, and Snap-Kick for still more attacks.

Note that you can be Lawful and get access to Rage through Half-Orc Paragon. This allows interesting combo's such as Fighter 2/HO Paragon 3/Kensai X/Frostrager Y. The Kensai's Power Surge stacks with Rage, and he can enchant both of his fists separately, which stack with bonuses from Frostrager unarmed/frost damage, and apply to Rend damage.

Amiria
2007-04-11, 02:20 PM
A dwarven barbarian ? Then you should take a look at the Battlerager (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/prestige2.pl?Battlerager) PrC. They are quite insane but it is a powerful PrC. They get quite some class features, bonus feats and extra rages per day in their 5 class levels.

Annarrkkii
2007-04-11, 04:49 PM
Grab the next 5 levels as Barbarian 4/Fighter 2, Barbarian 5/Fighter 2, Barbarian 6/Fighter 2, then Barbarian 6/Fighter 2/Warblade 1, Barbarian 6/Fighter 2/Warblade 2, Then go Deepstone Sentinel for a few levels. That and some Stone Dragon maneuvers, tacked on to the charge build you already have going, should be quite potent.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-11, 04:58 PM
Battlerager from Races of Faerun probably fits your style actually but it doesn't give much in itself.