PDA

View Full Version : Defenses for Unusual Phylactery-Bearer?

Vrock_Summoner
2015-03-23, 11:22 PM
Usually, phylactery defense recommendations are given under the assumption that the character forging the defense has 20 levels of wizard casting. (Also I think it's worth noting how incredibly, almost scarily, similar tips are for protecting phylacteries to tips for protecting the 20th level wizard's actual person.) This is fairly reasonable, as wizard liches are the most iconic kind of liches, wizards have the best spells for pulling that off (and, well, the best spells in general), and liches are more commonly BBEGs than player characters so 20th level is a pretty decent assumption. But not all liches will have 20 levels of wizard casting... So let's talk about some other options.

Lich comes online at level 11 at the earliest. Since many NPCs won't be faced with regular, appropriately challenging encounters, it's quite reasonable to assume in most settings (not counting Tippyverse or Planescape or other settings with specific justifications to the contrary) that many wizards won't get much higher than level 11 by the time they're getting old enough to want to turn themselves into a lich rather than age more and/or die of old fart syndrome. So what might a level 11-13 character do to defend their Phylactery, based on their available spells? (We'll assume for the sake of discussion and cross-setting applicability that blowing WBL on scrolls with higher-level spells than their own is not an option.)

And then, of course, there's the non-wizards.

What would a 20th level Cleric do to defend their phylactery? What if we dial it back to 11-13 (and restrict scrolls, though Magic Domain scrolls of low-level wizard spells aren't technically banned I guess) like we did with the wizard?

How about 20th level Druid? 11th-13th?

Then, of course, there's the fun ones. By which I mean those casters that get full CL but slower progression up to, usually, 6th level spells.

Like, come on, it's hilarious. How about a Bard 20? Bard 11-13? Same with Duskblade? The possibilities are endless!

If you have ideas for what any, some, or all of them would use to defend their phylacteries, do post!

(It would also be convenient to know the relative op-levels of certain options, just so I know which ones to use against parties of various optimization skill should I use these in future campaigns. But that's secondary; the spells and summoned creatures and such are the interesting part!)

With a box
2015-03-23, 11:39 PM
Due to making phylactery cost 120k gp and the rule that they cannot spend over half of their WBL on a single item, that makes they at least be 16th in 3.5, and 15th in pathfinder to get enough gold for craft a phylctery.

Vrock_Summoner
2015-03-23, 11:46 PM
Due to making phylactery cost 120k gp and the rule that they cannot spend over half of their WBL on a single item, that makes they at least be 16th in 3.5, and 15th in pathfinder to get enough gold for craft a phylctery.

First, pretty sure "half your WBL" is an optional rule, though I may be wrong. More importantly, though, that still only applies to PCs at character creation. NPCs or PCs who become liches during play don't face such restrictions. So the discussion is still relevant. Actually, it'd still be relevant anyway, since there's still the question of non-wizards.

(Also, I'd probably HR the cost down in my games, but that's just me; not really relevant to the discussion.)

atemu1234
2015-03-24, 10:01 AM
First, pretty sure "half your WBL" is an optional rule, though I may be wrong. More importantly, though, that still only applies to PCs at character creation. NPCs or PCs who become liches during play don't face such restrictions. So the discussion is still relevant. Actually, it'd still be relevant anyway, since there's still the question of non-wizards.

(Also, I'd probably HR the cost down in my games, but that's just me; not really relevant to the discussion.)

It is optional, IIRC.

Vrock_Summoner
2015-03-26, 07:06 PM
... Is there no answer to any part of this question? Are Druids and Clerics (and Bards and Duskblades etc.) just doomed to total utter incompetence at protecting their phylacteries because they lack arcane magic?

Zyzzyva
2015-03-26, 07:11 PM
I can't help, due to terrible 3.X system mastery, but would like express my gratitude for the concept of the Bardlich.

Vrock_Summoner
2015-03-26, 07:40 PM
I can't help, due to terrible 3.X system mastery, but would like express my gratitude for the concept of the Bardlich.

I may not have any lungs or a heart, but that won't stop me from singing both out.