PDA

View Full Version : living in a bag of holding?

EastbySoutheast
2015-03-24, 02:33 AM
Is it possible to set up a study or a bedroom ect inside a bag of holding. For example a bag of holding 3 has 150ft cubic area I see that to be more then enough space for a room to be set up and then furnished etc etc

Any thoughts on the pheasability of this?

Dysart
2015-03-24, 03:26 AM
Well, the problem you've got with a bag of holding is that it's just that. A bag. Setting up a study or bedroom would be a major problem because everything would move around a lot unless the bag is perfectly still and flat at all times.
There's also a clause in the description of the bag (in 3.5 and Pathfinder) that explains that air supply can run out.

What you want is some sort of "Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion" from 3.5 (Mage's Magnificent Mansion in Pathfinder) which acts as a pocket dimensional Mansion.
If you speak to your GM you may be able to create or buy something similar which is keyed to a specific item so that you can have it exist permanently. Something like a door handle would work well as a keyed item.
Though as a level 7 spell it may be super expensive to get hold of.

Hiro Quester
2015-03-24, 03:58 AM
In a previous game our party had an extra-dimensional tent that we could set up for resting in.

In a bag of holding you run out of air in 10 minutes. Don't do that.

Dysart
2015-03-24, 04:32 AM
In a previous game our party had an extra-dimensional tent that we could set up for resting in.

I was an Artificer once who was building a Golem army and working towards a permanent Mansion type item for transporting them around, game ended before we reached that level but it was fun working towards it!

Necromancy
2015-03-24, 06:41 AM
Portable hole, mark which side is "up"

Slap it on a wall and there's yer study

Geddy2112
2015-03-24, 08:31 AM
In a bag of holding you run out of air in 10 minutes.

You can get a necklace of adaptation so you have your own air supply, also there is a sorcerer bloodline that gives you this as a power. That said, hope nobody moves the bag...

Grod_The_Giant
2015-03-24, 08:35 AM
Well, the problem you've got with a bag of holding is that it's just that. A bag. Setting up a study or bedroom would be a major problem because everything would move around a lot unless the bag is perfectly still and flat at all times.
Make all your furniture out of cloth and sew it to the walls like some kind of low-grade astronaut.

atemu1234
2015-03-24, 09:15 AM

There are ways to survive without breathing.

Darrin
2015-03-24, 09:52 AM
In a bag of holding you run out of air in 10 minutes.

Necklace of Adaptation (9000 GP, DMG) or Bottle of Air (7250 GP, DMG) + Wind Pipe (7000 GP) will fix that. Ring of Sustenance (2500 GP, DMG) takes care of food/water.

I've heard of some people using a Portable Hole (20000 GP, DMG) or an Enveloping Pit (3600 GP, MIC) as a home/study/laboratory. The pit has the largest internal volume, but has an alignment restriction (LE, LN, NE). It's also 13 times bigger, but only 18% of the cost of the DMG version.

Necromancy
2015-03-24, 10:17 AM
Sounds like you need a demiplane!

Necromancy
2015-03-24, 10:19 AM
Actually you could set up portable hole like this http://www.toxel.com/inspiration/2010/05/27/rolling-house-concept/

Baroknik
2015-03-24, 10:42 AM
As an interesting note:
Not breathing doesn't RAW prevent the suffocation. It just says that after 10 minutes living creatures die from suffocation.

Kezeal
2015-03-24, 10:45 AM
As an interesting note:
Not breathing doesn't RAW prevent the suffocation. It just says that after 10 minutes living creatures die from suffocation.

What about a Psion using Adapt Body? Would he be able to adapt to the bag's environment?

Baroknik
2015-03-24, 11:16 AM
What about a Psion using Adapt Body? Would he be able to adapt to the bag's environment?

RAW, as I see it, he dies after 10 minutes.

Now, RAI and RACSD seems to say he's probably fine.

Really, just don't be living and you're golden! Helloooo Necropolitan

Sacrieur
2015-03-24, 11:19 AM
Can't you just like, put a tube out through the opening?

Kazuel
2015-03-24, 11:56 AM
150 cubic feet would only be 5.3 feet in each direction. Even without the whole dying or not moving the bag thing, doesn't seem practical size wise.

Cruiser1
2015-03-24, 12:00 PM
For example a bag of holding 3 has 150ft cubic area I see that to be more then enough space for a room to be set up and then furnished etc etc. Any thoughts on the pheasability of this?
It's much better to try this with a Portable Hole or Magnificent Mansion, because Bags of Holding are very small. For example, 150 cubic feet is only a cube 5.3 feet on a side, which isn't much space to fit a person in, not to mention add furniture. (Many humans would have to duck to avoid hitting their head on the "ceiling".)

atemu1234
150 cubic feet would only be 5.3 feet in each direction. Even without the whole dying or not moving the bag thing, doesn't seem practical size wise.

Obviously you had your own room as a child :smallbiggrin:.

Kezeal

Converting to meters, because then they'll make sense to me.
150 cubic feet is about 4.2 cubic meters. Is it a perfect cube though? If not, then it could be 1 meter wide, 2 meters long and 2.1 meters high. If you can choose the shape, then a pyramid-ish shape would give you a lot of room to at least sleep in.

TheIronGolem
2015-03-24, 12:33 PM
Is it possible to set up a study or a bedroom ect inside a bag of holding. For example a bag of holding 3 has 150ft cubic area I see that to be more then enough space for a room to be set up and then furnished etc etc

Any thoughts on the pheasability of this?

150 cubic feet is a lot less space than it sounds like. It's less like those cute little setups you see at IKEA, and more like Bender's apartment. Without the closet.

Kazuel
2015-03-24, 12:47 PM
Obviously you had your own room as a child :smallbiggrin:.

I have 3 older brothers, I assure you I didn't have my own room until I was 16. But as a 6'2" individual, 5'4" doesn't seem appealing or practical for use as a study. Sure you could fit in it but as Jeff Goldbloom once famously said "you were so caught up in whether you could, you didn't stop to ask if you should" (paraphrased obviously).

Kezeal
2015-03-24, 01:01 PM
I have 3 older brothers, I assure you I didn't have my own room until I was 16. But as a 6'2" individual, 5'4" doesn't seem appealing or practical for use as a study. Sure you could fit in it but as Jeff Goldbloom once famously said "you were so caught up in whether you could, you didn't stop to ask if you should" (paraphrased obviously).

Given that it's a bag, couldn't you just stretch the length by sacrificing height?