PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Spell tiles?

GoblinGilmartin
2015-03-24, 02:43 AM
I was just telling my roommate about something I read in one of the 3.5 books, about a new form of storing spells. It functioned identically to a potion, but it was a small ceramic tile with a rune on it.

But I can't remember where I read it! Can you help? I looked through four different books, nada.

goto124
2015-03-24, 03:02 AM
I thought you meant writing spells on ceramic tiles in real life, and throwing them against the ground casting the spells.

Have a smashing good time!

GoblinGilmartin
2015-03-24, 03:07 AM
I thought you meant writing spells on ceramic tiles in real life, and throwing them against the ground casting the spells.

Have a smashing good time!

lol no! but yeah. it's just a rule I can't seem to find.

BWR
2015-03-24, 03:23 AM
Sounds like something from Forgotten Realms. Shining South or Lost Empires of Faerun might be good places to start.

GoblinGilmartin
2015-03-24, 03:27 AM
Sounds like something from Forgotten Realms. Shining South or Lost Empires of Faerun might be good places to start.

No, IIRC it was a system book, not a setting book. I thought it might have been on one of the Completes series.

Tiri
2015-03-24, 04:26 AM
Potion Tiles from Complete Arcane.

GoblinGilmartin
2015-03-24, 04:37 AM
Potion Tiles from Complete Arcane.

Thank you! the funny thing is that I looked right at that page, and I still didn't see it. thanks.

Tvtyrant
2015-03-24, 10:08 PM
I was just telling my roommate about something I read in one of the 3.5 books, about a new form of storing spells. It functioned identically to a potion, but it was a small ceramic tile with a rune on it.

But I can't remember where I read it! Can you help? I looked through four different books, nada.
There is also the spell Shallanthas delicate disk from lost empires of faerun. It costs 200 GP a disk, which is a steal.

Coidzor
2015-03-24, 10:41 PM
For best results, have a pet Truenamer on hand to repair the damage as needed so that the magic isn't lost.

With a box
2015-03-24, 10:55 PM
wait. a tile works like a potion?
potions works when we drink them.
Honestly, I don't want to drink a ceramic tile.... it would hurt your mouth a lot...

Tvtyrant
2015-03-24, 11:10 PM
For best results, have a pet Truenamer on hand to repair the damage as needed so that the magic isn't lost.

Almost makes 11 levels of Truenamer worth it :smallyuk:

Coidzor
2015-03-25, 04:39 AM
wait. a tile works like a potion?
potions works when we drink them.
Honestly, I don't want to drink a ceramic tile.... it would hurt your mouth a lot...

You break them in half or crush them or otherwise snapify them. Which is where the pet 11th level Truenamer henchman comes in. They get the ability to bring it back good as new, stretching out one's potion budget.

Sian
2015-03-25, 06:43 AM
what is it that Truenamers get on 11th level that repairs them?

Nevermind, Rebuild Item it is,

He'd have to be quick through since it only works within 1 round

atemu1234
2015-03-25, 09:53 AM
You break them in half or crush them or otherwise snapify them. Which is where the pet 11th level Truenamer henchman comes in. They get the ability to bring it back good as new, stretching out one's potion budget.

Finally a use for that Truenamer cohort.

Jormengand
2015-03-25, 11:16 AM
Finally a use for that Truenamer cohort.

Oh, and they're also pretty useful for:

An utterance which is a little bit like Iron Heart Surge
Empowering every spell you cast.
Putting metamagic on all your spell trigger/completion items and potions.
Infinite out-of-combat healing.
Letting you shoot through walls.
Allowing you to hit incorporeal opponents as though they were material, forever.
Extra move actions out of nowhere.
When you don't have the spell slots to waste on making yourself immune to energy damage.
First-level utterance that can either work like dimensional lock and target can't move, or like freedom of movement.
Utterance which can identify any item and all magic on it, possibly even a cursed item.
Trapping people's souls in a sword that doesn't exist, so that they can't be resurrected.

But you know, no-one really cares about that, right? :smalltongue:

Ashtagon
2015-03-25, 11:20 AM
These things are especially useful at Greek weddings.

Chronos
2015-03-25, 04:38 PM
How do truenamers get infinite out-of-combat healing? They can get a lot, sure, but no matter how high your check, the Law of Resistance eventually catches up to you.

atemu1234
2015-03-25, 04:40 PM
Well, now I need to make a truenamer in possession of a Ceramic Spell Tile of Apocalypse from the Sky and Ceramic Spell Tile of Sadism.

daremetoidareyo
2015-03-25, 04:50 PM
Well, now I need to make a truenamer in possession of a Ceramic Spell Tile of Apocalypse from the Sky and Ceramic Spell Tile of Sadism.

It's gotta be a potion. Not sure how a potion of apocalypse from the sky would work, but if you figure it out, let us know.

atemu1234
2015-03-25, 05:32 PM
It's gotta be a potion. Not sure how a potion of apocalypse from the sky would work, but if you figure it out, let us know.

It's a big bottle.

Baroknik
2015-03-25, 05:51 PM
To get around some of the limitations there are 2 routes:
Master Alchemist PrC
Or (even better with a true namer)
The Skull Talisman feat

Tvtyrant
2015-03-25, 10:42 PM
It's a big bottle.

I lol'd. Big enough to drink the ocean through?