PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Character Refinement: Swashbuckling Charisma Caster

Kane0
2015-03-24, 05:37 AM
Hello forums!

I'm preparing a character for a 5e game where one might be needed, and I thought i'd revive an old favourite from my 3.PF days.

The concept and story is pretty simple, this fellow is a LE human that used to be a petty criminal that rose to small time gang leader, but for some reason or another ended up dead. By the time he got raised, which used the last of his resources and favors, his operation was long gone so he had to start over. But being dead does funny things to a man. For one he took a greater appreciation of magic and devotes some effort to mastering it, and secondly he occasionally has bouts of madness. His primary motivation is wine, women and wealth with a side of killing all necromancers and a pipe dream of becoming a great and powerful criminal.

So my initial thoughts were some combination of Fighter (probably EK) or Rogue (AT or Thief) multiclassed with either Warlock (likely great old one/blade pact) or Bard (valor perhaps). He is skill focused and uses light armor and weapons, usually a shortword and shortbow with a backup dagger for emergencies.

So my conundrum can be broken down into multiple parts:
1) How to build him so he can be a solid dex fighter with good skillmonkeying and social/utility casting. This leads to:
2) Which classes and subclasses to use
3) What the level split between them should be
4) Which one to start with at level 1
5) His abilities and variant human feat, which are lesser concerns

Does anybody have suggestions or insights, perhaps even a story of something similar they have done?

Malifice
2015-03-24, 06:14 AM
Hello forums!

I'm preparing a character for a 5e game where one might be needed, and I thought i'd revive an old favourite from my 3.PF days.

The concept and story is pretty simple, this fellow is a LE human that used to be a petty criminal that rose to small time gang leader, but for some reason or another ended up dead. By the time he got raised, which used the last of his resources and favors, his operation was long gone so he had to start over. But being dead does funny things to a man. For one he took a greater appreciation of magic and devotes some effort to mastering it, and secondly he occasionally has bouts of madness. His primary motivation is wine, women and wealth with a side of killing all necromancers and a pipe dream of becoming a great and powerful criminal.

So my initial thoughts were some combination of Fighter (probably EK) or Rogue (AT or Thief) multiclassed with either Warlock (likely great old one/blade pact) or Bard (valor perhaps). He is skill focused and uses light armor and weapons, usually a shortword and shortbow with a backup dagger for emergencies.

So my conundrum can be broken down into multiple parts:
1) How to build him so he can be a solid dex fighter with good skillmonkeying and social/utility casting. This leads to:
2) Which classes and subclasses to use
3) What the level split between them should be
4) Which one to start with at level 1
5) His abilities and variant human feat, which are lesser concerns

Does anybody have suggestions or insights, perhaps even a story of something similar they have done?

Vengance Paladin (Necromancers and undead being the people he hates) 6, Fighter 4 (battlemaster), Bard (lore) 10

Criminal background.

Fighting styles: Defence and Two weapon fighting.
Feats: Defensive duellist, Dual weilder, Warcaster. Rest into ASI for Cha and Dex
Special: Action surge, 2 fighting styles, second wind, manouvers (menacing attack, feinting attack, precision attack, riposte), Extra attack, Charisma to saves, lay on hands, abjure enemy, divine sense (due to being raised), divine smite, divine health, vow of enmity. Bardic inspiration, jack of all trades, song of rest, expertise in 4 skills (intimidate, perception, persuasion and deception), font of inspiraiton, countercharm, cutting words, 4 bonus spells via magical secrets (elemental weapon, mirror image, counterspell, one more).

Armed with two 'sabers' (refluffed rapiers). 3 attacks per round at +11 (1d8+5) each. 5 attacks with action surge. 7th level slot spend on concentration on elemental weapon for 4 attacks per round at +14 doing (1d8+3d4+8) and a bonus off hand attack. Phenominal nova damage due to spell slots to burn for divine smite for Nova strikes plus extra dice from BM (an extra 29d8 per round if needed!). Advantage on all attacks via Vow of Enmity or Menacing attack or Feinting attack.

Vs AC 20 with action surge/divine smite/superiority dice/elemental wepon Nova: Is 160 DPR. With advantage it goes over 200 DPR.

Burns slots like candy though.

Using non magic studded leather with Dex 20: AC 19 (base), AC 25 vs one attack per round. Mirror image, counterspell and Charisma to all saves rounds out the defences.

For skills, you will have expertise in 4 skills, proficiency in another 4-5 and half proficiency in the rest (including initiative checks). Plus at least three sets of tools and three instruments.

For healing, second wind, cure wounds, lay on hands, song of rest.

For face abilities you have your Bard spells (charm etc) and +16 to Persuasion, Intimidate and Deception.

Did I mention it also has 7th level spell slots, and can cast while hands are full? 5th level spells known as Bard (including two 5th level spells from wherever if you want to plunder swift quiver for a bit of ranged goodness) and 1st level paladin spells (including hunters mark). And can cast rituals.

Its pretty much amazing at everything, and is online very early.

Madfellow
2015-03-24, 08:17 AM
If it were me, I'd just go straight Warlock, probably Blade Pact. Multiclassing doesn't really seem necessary for this character. A lot of the Eldritch Invocations are utility-oriented, and there's even one that gives you social skills, which is a plus.

Good luck. :smallsmile:

Tenmujiin
2015-03-24, 05:33 PM
I would say either go blade-lock, arcane trickster or eldritch knight. No reason you can't take decent charisma on trickster or knight, they don't need great int if you avoid spells with attack rolls or saves (so take buffs). If you are set on being a charisma based caster then warlock seems best, maybe bard. You might also be able to convince the DM to let you run trickster with charisma rather than int.

Jlooney
2015-03-24, 05:39 PM
Like others have said you can accomplish this without multi cladding the better. Unless you go two full caster classes your spells start to take a huge hit big you go ek and at you never get 4th level spells iirc.

Kane0
2015-03-24, 05:46 PM
Very true. Seeing as i already have a warlock character i might steer clear of that and go bard. I might end up throwing a dip in if i end up behind in combat but valor bard looks good enough to run without dips

Edit: ill have to go and check out some of the guides