PDA

View Full Version : It's GRINDHOUSE!

Piedmon_Sama
2007-04-11, 11:49 AM
Okay, I looked up and down and I am SHOCKED and DISMAYED that despite the film's opening weekend being over, I could find no thread for Grindhouse. I can't be the only one who saw it opening night, palms sweaty, seat firmly clenched on the outermost tip of my butt? (Okay, I wasn't really that excited. I was pretty damn excited though.)

I'm a HUGE fan of Quentin Tarantino (hereafter referred to with cliquish fanboi glee as QT), and to a lesser extent Robert Rodriguez (he's pretty good, his only real flaw is he comes up short compared to QT.) So you bet I was there for the midnight showing, along with all of FOUR OTHER PEOPLE in the biggest theater at my local downtown multiplex. Both were couples more concerned with the sloppy makeouts than l'cinema arte, which effectively left me with three movies to see. But seriously, there was like, no one there. I was, frankly, shocked.

Actually, it's frankly shocking to report this at all: Grindhouse's opening weekend grossed an EXTREMELY dissapointing 11.5 million. I don't remember exactly what the budget was--20 or 50 million--but that is just awful by any standard. What happened? What was the major malfunction? I'm asking you, America.

Okay, the movie wasn't perfect. Even I, through the red haze of my gushing fanboi blood, could see that. Planet Terror, if you want my opinion (and there are boards where I would never say this) needed about 20 minutes cut out of it. It was too slow and meandering, even with the "missing reel" gag (a very slick way to tie the subplots together, though.) I checked my watch at least three times during Planet Terror. Nevertheless, Rodriguez made this movie work largely through sheer gall and charisma. Some of the brutal moments--particularly an injury suffered by the blonde nurse---stuck with me for days.

While Planet Terror was probably the more accurate homage to Grindhouse's schlocky source material, I found Death Proof to be the immensely superior film. QT's dialogue, which sounds naturalistic but leaves the characters sounding slightly unreal nevertheless, has always been one of his strong points to me, and I love how he lets us revel in it before "slamming the breaks" on his story with a sudden twist, before jumping Death Proof to its second chapter. (Also, a certain Sherriff and his Son #1 makes a surprise reappearance at the halfway mark. You just can't kill this guy!)

And of course, we can't talk about it without mentioning the ads. Rodriguez's Machete was a movie I would seriously pay to see ("you just ****ed with the wrong Mexican" + Cheech Marrin as a priest? Hell yes please, with a side of BOOYAH.) Simon Pegg's Don't was a great gag. Rob Zombie's "Werewolf Women of the S.S" unfortunately relied on its final shock for a punchline, which I'd had ruined for me, but was pretty sound. Eli Roth's "Thanksgiving," is hysterically gross....

Overall, I'd give Grindhouse a B+. I think where the movie is really going to suffer is repeat value--at 3 hours, 15 minutes, people just aren't going to want to go back to the theater to see it again. Fanatics not counting. I'm still distressed over the dissapointing response, since it may lead to the producer (I think Harvey Weinstein) releasing Grindhouse in Europe as two films (which would force filmgoers there to basically pay twice for the same movie.)

Mr Croup
2007-04-11, 12:01 PM
I didn't manage to get to the theatre this weekend, so I'll be checking it out this coming weekend hopefully. I think that part of the reason that we haven't seen a thread on it yet is because it performed so dismally at the box office. Some people are blaming that it's too niche, others that opening it on Easter weekend was a poor move, and others that people didn't want to sit through the entire 3.5 hours. Personally, I think it's a combination of the three. At this point there is talk about splitting up the films for another release in the US, independent of each other as early as a few weeks time, though I don't know what would happen with the trailers.

So far I've heard nothing but rave reviews, and as a film geek, I'm very eager to see it for myself. The general consensus I've gotten is that Planet Terror is good, but Death Proof is the real winner.

Da Beast
2007-04-11, 05:19 PM
I'm going to try and see this movie over the weekend. It looks great and I like both of the directors.

Daze
2007-04-11, 06:51 PM
Actually there was a thread on Grindhouse.. check further down the page ;)

I think also it was a bad move to open on Easter Weekend, which traditionally isnt a big movie week (plus the weather was crappy in the northeast, midwest)

I cant speak for why the theatre you saw it in was so empty, but it's doing OK here in NYC I've heard.

Reinforcements
2007-04-11, 07:15 PM
I dunno. Planet Terror looks like it could be enjoyably ridiculous, but every preview of Deathproof I've seen just gave me the impression of, "Killing women, YAY!" Planet Terror seems like a parody, Deathproof just seems like Rodriguez went ahead and made an awful "grindhouse" movie.

Nightmarenny
2007-04-11, 07:53 PM
I dunno. Planet Terror looks like it could be enjoyably ridiculous, but every preview of Deathproof I've seen just gave me the impression of, "Killing women, YAY!" Planet Terror seems like a parody, Deathproof just seems like Rodriguez went ahead and made an awful "grindhouse" movie.Trust me, its parody. Infact "planet terror" tries to be much more serious about the content while "Death Proof" takes shots at the slasher flick constantly.

Such as The killer getting shot and turnng into a whinny little baby

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-04-11, 10:24 PM
I was going to see it, but on the movie night i got roped into seeing Blades of glory instead with some friends because the timing wouldn't work out until after the last showing started at the local cinema

J_Muller
2007-04-11, 10:27 PM
I've never heard of this movie.

Maybe the problem here is a lack of advertising...:smallconfused:

twerk_face
2007-04-11, 10:36 PM
I'm going to haf to agree with the thread poster hear. That movie was fantastic, and underappreciated already. Quintin Tarinino's character in Planet Terror had some of the most disgusting things i have ever seen on film happen to him (any1 whose seen the movie knows what i'm talking about). But Death Proof was really where it's at. IMO, the second act was amazing and far beetter than the first, and i LOVED the frickin' ending! So unpredicted and f*cking amazing. The 5 minute single-shot scene of the 4 girls talking in the dinner (You NEVER call a kiwi an aussie) was just the opidimy of QT's genius dialogue. For some reason, it kinda reminded me of Samuel L. Jackson and Travolta's first scene in pulp fiction, in the way they were talking. I frickin love tarintino.

And the "trailers?" HAHAHAHAH. So amazing. "You just f*cked with the wrong mexican" was one of the best lines i have ever heard. And the way the anouncer said "Thanksgiving?" hilarious. Ok i haf to stop. But it was just too d*mn good.

twerk_face
2007-04-11, 10:37 PM
I'm going to haf to agree with the thread poster hear. That movie was fantastic, and underappreciated already. Quintin Tarinino's character in Planet Terror had some of the most disgusting things i have ever seen on film happen to him (any1 whose seen the movie knows what i'm talking about). But Death Proof was really where it's at. IMO, the second act was amazing and far beetter than the first, and i LOVED the frickin' ending! So unpredicted and f*cking amazing. The 5 minute single-shot scene of the 4 girls talking in the dinner (You NEVER call a kiwi an aussie) was just the opidimy of QT's genius dialogue. For some reason, it kinda reminded me of Samuel L. Jackson and Travolta's first scene in pulp fiction, in the way they were talking. I frickin love tarintino.

And the "trailers?" HAHAHAHAH. So amazing. "You just f*cked with the wrong mexican" was one of the best lines i have ever heard. And the way the anouncer said "Thanksgiving?" hilarious. Ok i haf to stop. But it was just too d*mn good.

twerk_face
2007-04-11, 10:37 PM

Reptilus
2007-04-11, 11:00 PM
Honestly, I think Rodriguez's work comes out far ahead in many ways; first, it's more blatantly a parody, complete with missing reel gag and QT's amazing death scene in Planet Terror (you know what I mean, people who have seen the movie), in a self-worship homage to its own dark and unholy ridiculousness. It mocks not simply Grindhouse cinema but itself. Secondly, amid its random, senseless violence and tongue-impaled-in-cheek humour, it manages to make a much more serious point, much more effectively. It actually makes itself into a political allegory and takes a stab at making a statement and elevating itself into a Pulp-as-Art fervour, a la Taxi Driver. Rodriguez put a lot more balls into his than QT, a lot more difficult direction moves, one hell of a lot better writing, and some semblence of actual meaning behind it.

Deathproof, on the bright side, had Kurt Russel in it, who once played Snake Plissken, which imparts some of that cool by proxy. On the downside: It fails in literally every other respect. This is because QT has a massive problem, as a director; he is too damned full of himself. It's been the crushing weakness in every movie he's made, as is the Culture-Vulture he pulls on anything remotely depraved so that people will look at it and say that he is "one the edge," or some similarly ridiculous comment. The brilliant Ezekial scene from Pulp Fiction? Lifted out of the Bodyguard with Sonny Chiba.
Now, aside from QT's irritating self indulgence, Deathproof itself is an immensely flawed piece of work. First, for whoever claimed that Planet Terror dragged in places, the entire first half of Deathproof is dialog. This isn't inherently bad, although it's not really how grindhouse traditionally works. The real problem with this is that the dialog is dull, largely unrealistic, and consists primarily of Quentin Tarantino thinking his is both wittier and more "in-touch" than he is by one hell of a long shot. It's dull, awkard, and I thought of better psuedo-clever action movie lines playing pretend when I was in kindergarten. Despite this dialog focus and flagrant violation of Grindhouse "do not bore your audience" rules, QT seems to want to fall into every other Grindhouse stereotype directly, without the over-the-top parody of Planet Terror. This is, of course, his "sly, subtle" humour. QT is never, ever subtle, so the attempts at subtle humour turn into blatant jokes that aren't ridiculous enough to be that funny. Beyond that, the plot is one-track, all the characters are one-dimension, and every stereotype about bad Grindhouse writing is brought fully to bear (though I don't believe the intent of the movie is to perpetuate negative stereotypes), an ending is tacked on as blatantly as with the "missing reel", but with inifinitely less panache. Finally, there's really no meaning behind any of it. It's not saying anything. It's justthere to amuse you, which is fine. However, it fails to do that. It's QT indulging himself for its entire running time with ideas that he's much wittier and more stylish than he is. They could've just included an hour and a half of him masturbating in slow motion with a few jump-cuts and camera angle switches while he told stupid puns and laughed at them like they were the funniest thing ever, and it would've essentially been the same movie. Kurt Russel's acting was the only thing legitimately good about it, and that was pretty good.

Disposablecat
2007-04-11, 11:19 PM
All in all I thought both movies where very well done. Planet Terror was a little more action oriented and the gags were a little more obvious. Death Proof on the other hand had a lot of subtle humor in its mocking of slasher flicks. On another good note the 'previews' were all hilarious and I only wish these movies would be made as well. The Thanksgiving preview was priceless.

Reptilus
2007-04-11, 11:29 PM
I stand by the opinion that QT has done nothing remotely subtle in his entire life. Not necessarily a bad thing, but he hasn't.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-04-11, 11:46 PM
Wow. I can't argue with that, Reptilus (if that's your REAL NAME). Because it's just wrong. QT's dialogue is brilliant. No, it's not really "realistic"--his characters are hipper and wittier than most people are in real life. But it's entertaining. Tarantino could write a story that was nothing but people sitting back and bull****ting, and it would actually be entertaining.

Planet Terror's problem was it started with the switch dialed at 11, and it had nowhere to go from there. There was virtually no rising tension outside the first five minutes, and after that it was just shock after shock. It was entertaining for a while, but in the end all the violence started to get repetative.

Death Proof, OTOH, built its story. Now, anyone who's seen the ads for the movie, or hell, the poster, knows Stuntman Mike is a killer. That's what makes the scene genius---there's this rising dramatic tension throughout, because we know about the lurking menace while these girls are shooting the breeze and bull****ting. That alone wouldn't have carried a whole half hour of dialogue, but QT manages to make it carry itself. It also carries the important task of making each of the girls (well, at least Julia and Butterfly) into relatable characters. Another reviewer said this--he felt like each of the women in Grindhouse reminded him of a girl he knew. That's exactly how I felt--even if QT's dialogue is hyper-real, his characters feel like real people.

RTGoodman
2007-04-11, 11:55 PM
I sort of sit in the middle of this whole debate - I thought "Deathproof" was really good, but I thought "Planet Terror" was AWESOME. I love Tarantino, but I have a soft spot in my heart for any vaguely zombie-esque movie.

Of course, has anyone else heard the good news about "Machete"? IT'S COMING DIRECT-TO-DVD NEXT YEAR!

warhammerfire
2007-04-12, 06:26 AM
i dont think the movie looks remotely good

"OMGZ AH AM GUNZA GIYV U A MACHINEGUN LEG TAHT CAN SHEWT ROKKETS"

warhammerfire
2007-04-12, 06:28 AM
oops double post

Disposablecat
2007-04-12, 08:36 AM
Here's what I meant. Planet Terror was none stop action, with ridiculous over the top characters and plot. Death Proof on the other hand was a lot of the opposite. Not much action, a bit more character development(all be it a bit rediculous). You actually get to know the characters a little before something horrible happens to them. It makes me want to watch some old slasher flicks. Note, both movies are not for the feint of heart/ the squeamish. All around a good set of movies in my book.

20thLevelGeek
2007-04-12, 12:02 PM
I went and saw it opening night with my fiancee and her brother and we had a great time at the theater. We're all great fans of B grade movies, bad slasher flicks. I agree mostly with what people said above here, and enjoyed both films a lot. With the previews just being classic, and my favorite part ...

The best part about it was the mood in the theater. I normally cannot STAND going to the theater. There are too many distractions. I'd rather just sit at home with a bowl of popcorn that only cost me 50 cents instead of 5 bucks. However it was easily the second best movie theater experience ever (The first, being Trilogy Tuesday for LOTR). With everyone yelling, oohhhing, ahhhing, cheering, laughing, and groaning in all the right places, it was great. It was a wonderful crowd atmosphere. It was the perfect type of movie to support this, instead of finding it annoying. People were almost up out of their seat at the ending of Death Proof.

Where I think Death Proof suffers is, by the time its on, for 2 hours its been nothing but non-stop-over-the-line violence. Everyone is amped up, and expecting one thing. And Death Proof does not really follow that. And while I think thats good, as you do really need a breather. Its like feeding a kid a giant box of candy, and then asking them to sit down polity at the dinner table for Thanksgiving.

Disposablecat
2007-04-12, 01:50 PM
Yeah, I had that exact same thought 20thLevelGeek. You've been throwing your hands in the air with mindless excitement for 2 hours and now you have to really slow down and pay a little bit of attention to really bring in the whole second movie.

Reptilus
2007-04-12, 09:03 PM
Wow. I can't argue with that, Reptilus (if that's your REAL NAME). Because it's just wrong. QT's dialogue is brilliant. No, it's not really "realistic"--his characters are hipper and wittier than most people are in real life. But it's entertaining. Tarantino could write a story that was nothing but people sitting back and bull****ting, and it would actually be entertaining.
I find his pop-culture obsessions, self-indulgent hipness and ridiculous psuedo-witicisms irritating, rather than entertaining, so this is probably a difference in taste.

Planet Terror's problem was it started with the switch dialed at 11, and it had nowhere to go from there.
It dialed with switch up to at least fifteen with the Melting Penis, if you ask me. A normal movie would've had nowhere left to go. PT was just getting started.

There was virtually no rising tension outside the first five minutes, and after that it was just shock after shock. It was entertaining for a while, but in the end all the violence started to get repetative.
Maybe, but that's where the stronger thematic backing carries it through.

Death Proof, OTOH, built its story. Now, anyone who's seen the ads for the movie, or hell, the poster, knows Stuntman Mike is a killer. That's what makes the scene genius---there's this rising dramatic tension throughout, because we know about the lurking menace while these girls are shooting the breeze and bull****ting.
We continue to know this for half the movie without anything happening. The dialog gets repetitive much faster than the violence of PT, in my opinion, and has less substance backing it up. It's repetitive fluff to "build dramatic tension" by serving as filler for QT's half movie.

That alone wouldn't have carried a whole half hour of dialogue, but QT manages to make it carry itself. It also carries the important task of making each of the girls (well, at least Julia and Butterfly) into relatable characters. Another reviewer said this--he felt like each of the women in Grindhouse reminded him of a girl he knew. That's exactly how I felt--even if QT's dialogue is hyper-real, his characters feel like real people.
To some degree; all his characters are more exaggerated, narrowed, cutouts of real people. They've essentially become caricatures of stereotypes. One dimesion, one primary emotion, one facet of their personality. Kill Bill does this worse than any of his other films, but Deathproof is guilty of it, too. In his attempt to create an homage to an entire genre, he's made his characters more into archetypes than characters. They seem real because you know people who fit into that archetype. The difference is that all those people have deeper goals, motivations, and actual personalities and quirks beyond those of the stereotype. This aspect is what makes Planet Terror shine, in my eyes; a girl with a machinegun for a leg has much more believable goals, underlying traits, and human emotions than any of Tarantino's characters. Despite being utterly ridiculous and fantastic, his characters have the polish and depth that make them more into real people than cardboard cutouts, and Rodriguez did it without the ridiculous quantity of dialog.

I think I honestly just have different taste than a lot of people. I find Tarantino's pop-culture pretentsions and hipster self-indulgence as irritants, rather than merits. He's a guy trying way too hard to be artistic and trashy all at once, and he never manages to succeed at either. I actually enjoy some of his work, from a directorial standpoint, but I despite him from a standpoint of writing.

Hunter_Rose
2007-04-16, 11:06 AM
Finally got to see it last night. Kinda forced myself to see it because I heard a rumor that it's going to be split into two movies and I wanted to see the entire version before that happened.

Great great movie. I really hope that this movie starts making the rounds for midnight showings. I was kinda dinked off at the fact there are no mid-night showings in my town for this movie, but my town is kinda lame anyway.

To get into the mood for this movie I bought a box of Ju Ju bees, and it kinda put a cherry on top of my Grindhouse experience when I found out they were stale when I began to eat them, fricking awesome.

I really enjoyed the previews, but what I probably really dug was the old 70's esque messages with the funky music. I totally remember those things from my experiences from the late 70's. I also thought it was cool that some Tarentino/Rodiguiz product placement was present in this movie. Saw some Red Apple cigarettes, there was a Kahuna Burger line, and in the beginning of Death Proof one of the girls is drinking a soda from the taco joint advertised during the middle break. I really hope this kinda re-invigorates the mid-night movie movement. I really miss them. Unfortunately I really don't want to imagine what would be thrown at the screen for "Planet Terror". But I can guess it would be an ugly gooey experience. *grins*

Neon Knight
2007-04-16, 06:14 PM
a girl with a machinegun for a leg

GAH!

I can't take it anymore! The girl in Planet Terror did not have a machine gun for a leg! It was an M16/M4 Assault Rifle with a M203 Grenade Launcher and bayonet on it!

We're nerds! We're supposed to know better!

Ras Sha'Akhamen
2007-04-16, 06:33 PM
It is correct to write "an" rather than "a" before a vowell sound, such as the phonetic of the pronunciation of the letter M. It would have been slightly better were you even consistent with yourself in which form of the article you used. Also, "bayonet" requires an article; it should be "a bayonet," not simply "bayonet."
I normally hate such base nitpicking, but it would seem that, as "nerds" we are to "know better."

Syka
2007-04-16, 06:51 PM
Ok, as a date movie this stacks up far better than Borat, I'll tell you that right now. :) Especially when both people going love zombie movies and B horror.

Now, I will preface this with we had gone to eat at a Japanese restraunt right before the movie and got to watch our food getting cut up. Tip Numero Uno: Don't eat before seeing this movie. At least not before Planet Terror.

Honestly, the only real reason I agreed to go was because I found out Planet Terror was a zombie flick. I wasn't to keen on Death Proof and thought it'd be just another slasher flick. Tip Numero Dos: Don't underestimate a movie.

The theater was moderately full, surprising as it was opening night for Disturbia and Pathfinder, both which had long lines. Tip Numero Tres: Don't watch if you are very squeamish.

Which, both me and the guy I'm dating are. Now, I can handle some (as can he), but that one seen in the docs office. Blech. oo' We were both hiding our faces, and the couple a few seats down had a similar reaction. And the scene with Tarantino. All in all, I liked it, especially Naveen Andrews character. There were a few things they left unfinished, though.

1. What's with Doc Bloc other than being a baddie? It never really explained anything in regards to him.
2. Er, I forgot, but I'll put something here later.

Wasn't too fond of the ending, either. Other than the gun-leg. :)

Death Proof surprised me, though. I really, really liked it. How he set it up in the two chapters I liked, and the ending was perfect in my books. It is actually reminiscent of a movie idea me and my friend were coming up with. Kurt Russels character=brilliant. The only part I didn't like was the very beginning, with the first set of girls and their first conversation. The second set, I loved them the whole way. I'm still wondering what happened to poor Lee. "Gulp"

Now, I think the reason why I liked Death Proof more is for the simple fact I was able to watch the whole movie and not bury my head in my guys shoulder. :\ Thinking back to some scenes in Planet Terror still make me go Blech. Though the helicopter was a stroke of genius.

By the way...

I really, really want that car. *drool*

Indurain
2007-04-16, 06:53 PM
Finally saw this myself.

Personally I'm a PT fan, for most of the reasons stated by the others who prefered PT, so I won't go too much into it. Needless to say, the pure over-the-top-ness of it, was what won me over. And Wray makes such an awesome hero.

DP...what to say about DP? It's good...I'm not going to go off as much as others have, but I really think it should have been the first movie. It does slow the pace down a lot, which after an hour and a half of sitting, can really kill the nice buzz that PT made. DP was enjoyable, but wasn't what I was expecting. I know QT loves his dialogue (and I do too), but this was a movie that needed less of it. And the ending...just seemed out of place to me. Some people on here have said it's a parody of the old tough slasher killers, but it just didn't feel right at all.

Then again, maybe it's just me.

Neon Knight
2007-04-16, 09:40 PM
It is correct to write "an" rather than "a" before a vowell sound, such as the phonetic of the pronunciation of the letter M. It would have been slightly better were you even consistent with yourself in which form of the article you used. Also, "bayonet" requires an article; it should be "a bayonet," not simply "bayonet."
I normally hate such base nitpicking, but it would seem that, as "nerds" we are to "know better."

Point taken, Herr Grammar Nazi.

Actual opinion on the film? Awesome. See it. Death Proof is the better of the two.

Syka
2007-04-16, 11:10 PM
I would have to agree they should have switched the two movies around.

And I'll let it be known, I'm not a big Tarantino or Rodriguez fan. Kill Bill and Sin City both took two watchings for me to get all the way through.

Wray is definitely my favorite character out of them all, and my favorite trailer is definite MACHETE! :D Loved Cheech as a priest.

Logain
2007-04-16, 11:42 PM
I saw the midnight opening show with my fiance and Dad (who decided he wanted to come with us last minute) and we sat in a half-empty theater and enjoyed the movie.

Interesting side-fact: B movie actors, with movies often filmed in the philipines, south america, or italy, were often filmed in two movies at once, so having characters show up in both movies wasn't all that uncommon. That was something I really enjoyed about both movies.

I'm not a big Tarantino fan, so the first hour of dialogue really irritated me.

But I wanted to bring up another point- the missing reels.

In Planet Terror, the missing reel comes in when Wray and Cherry are getting hot and heavy, and suddenly the building is on fire, three of the sub-plots have resolved themselves, and the chicka doctor and her dad and the two babysitters are at the bbq place with everyone else. I loved the effect- the missing reel made it feel like a chunk was missing out of the movie, and that you missed out on important dialogue and character development. With a movie as over the top as Planet Terror, it was just icing on the cake.

In Deathproof, the "missing reel" was simply the lapdance that Butterfly gave Stuntman Mike. It couldn't have been more than five minutes of the movie, and when they continue, they're all outside getting ready to leave. It felt like Tarantino cut five minutes of film to have the "missing reel" gag in there.

My final verdict? You can disqualify me for being a fan of Rodriguez but not of Tarantino, but I loved Machete and Planet Terror. I heard the same rumor that Rodriguez had so much fun doing the trailer for Machete that he's going to film it and put it straight out to DVD.

Deathproof? The movie lost me with the first hour of dialogue. I had already been sitting for two and a half hours straight, and it was irritating to think that because Tarantino is dating Kevin Federline's ex-girlfriend, he can suddenly write dialogue for black women (rather than the all-white cast of Resevoir Dogs, or the one black guy in Pulp Fiction), and women in general.
I was glad when they got killed- the effects for that part were specatcular.

Suddenly, we were back to the endless dialogue. The diner scene in the "second chapter" of this movie? A female version of the one from Resevoir Dogs, without the talk about Madonna or witty observations. Every Kiwi I've ever met didn't mind being mistaken for an Aussie, but they would correct you for it. And have you seen the original Gone in Sixty Seconds? Poorly thought-out movie with one goal: Set the record for the number of cars crashed in one scene. It's at the end, and it goes on FOREVER.

The car chase at the end of this movie was incredible. I won't argue with anyone on that point. It looks and feels real, and I spent the first five minutes of it wondering how they would do effects for the girl falling off the hood and going under the car. The ending was a little girl-power, but I didn't have any problem with that.

Oh, and for all the QT fanboys and girls, Kurt Russel was the one who came up with Stuntman Mike blubbering like a baby and being such a coward afterward. That was all him. He was just trying to weird out QT, and finally did so with the take where he's looking at the bullet wound, and drinking and sobbing.

-Logain

twerk_face
2007-04-17, 09:23 PM
Tarantino could write a story that was nothing but people sitting back and bull****ting, and it would actually be entertaining.

So could a few other directors. See: Clerks.

And for all you nobodies who don't know what i'm talking about, its Kevin Smith. Hes a gawd among men, along with Jack Black and Trey Parker/Matt Stone.

And, to a slightly lesser degree, Seth McFarlane.

And, to an even LESSER degree (but hes still definitly a gawd), Joss Whedon.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-04-22, 11:55 PM
Keven Smith lost all credibility with me when he basically forgot about the SpiderMan/Black Cat mini he was writing for something like two years, for no real reason except he was bored with it. Although he did regain some respect by owning up to it and not bull****ting some excuse.