PDA

View Full Version : Melee Build Help

Exile
2007-04-11, 12:43 PM
I've been working on a high AC melee build and I'd like some input. As a background my character is a Snow Elf (from Frostburn), dex 17, str 18, with a house ruled bonus exotic weapon proficiency in Great Scimitar (from Sandstorm) as my DM agrees that Eberron Elves favor scimitars over rapier based weapons like the Courtblade.

We started out at level 1, and I've since hit fighter level 4 in only a couple of sessions (DM ruled only core books with limited exceptions for first few levels, no Tome of Battle stuff). My original thought was to progress until level 6 as fighter, take a dip in exotic weapon master at level 7 for uncanny blow, and then take five levels of Citadel Elite from the Eberron supplement Sharn City of Towers.

However since the outset of the adventure I’ve gotten a copy of Complete Mage and discovered the Abjurant Champion. Now I’m wondering if I can fit in one level of Wizard (favored class for Snow Elf) and 5 levels of Abjurant Champion somewhere.

If this build were to go to 20 (expect 8 levels of fighter when all is said and done), which I know is a long way in the future, the character would have a BAB of 19, and a functional AC of 38 before factoring in magical items.

(For the curious, the AC breakdown is base 10, dex 3, Citadel Elite 5, Improved Greater Mage Armor 11, Improved Shield 9.)

Not to mention the character would have the spell selection of a level 6 mage with an effective casting level of 19, and decent Fort and Will saves to boot.

So my questions to all you build optimizers out there:

What order would you take Fighter 8, Wizard 1, Exotic Weapon Master 1, Abjurant Champion 5, and Citadel Elite 5 in to be most efficient at all levels?

Can you think of any feats that would make this even better? (I’m thinking Elusive Target chain…)

Did I make any glaring errors or set upon a build that’s not really as practical as it appears to me?

Thanks guys,
Exile

Exile
2007-04-11, 06:41 PM
Really? No one has anything to say about this?

Matthew
2007-04-11, 06:46 PM
No Combat Expertise Feat?

Exile
2007-04-11, 07:12 PM
Yeah I was considering that along with Improved Trip actually, but I haven't figured out when to take it. Elusive target with good mobility, combat reflexes and this kind of AC will mean plenty of free trip attacks.

martyboy74
2007-04-11, 07:18 PM
Have you looked at the attack bonuses that most CR 20 creatures have? Most of them would only need a 5 or so to hit your AC.

Exile
2007-04-11, 07:31 PM
Fair enough marty, now add in the gear. Amulet of Natural Armor +5, ring of protection +5, Bracers of Dexterity +6; none of these are a stretch at level 20. AC hits 51. Now that creature needs an 18. Protection from evil and it needs to land a natural 20.

martyboy74
2007-04-11, 07:36 PM
Fair enough marty, now add in the gear. Amulet of Natural Armor +5, ring of protection +5, Bracers of Dexterity +6; none of these are a stretch at level 20. AC hits 51. Now that creature needs an 18. Protection from evil and it needs to land a natural 20.

Fair enough; just don't expect this to work against Mr T. His lowest attack modifier is +52.

The_Snark
2007-04-11, 07:48 PM
Nobody goes up against Big T in melee combat, though, if they have any sense. There are way easier ways.

AC 51 is pretty reasonable for a level 20 character; it puts you well out of the Balor and Pit Fiend's reach, and gives you a decent shot at avoiding a Black Wyrm's attacks.

Elusive Target is worth it, since it makes Power Attack useless and gives you free trips. Combat Expertise is nice too, for those times when you just need to hold off a monster long enough for the others to take it out, and Improved Trip works rather nicely with Elusive Target.

I'd start taking Wizard/Abjurant Champion first if you can; it's going to be a while before those spell durations are long enough, and you might as well make it happen sooner. But then, I'm not really all that familiar with the Citadel Elite or the Abjurant Champion; if the Elite has abilities you want, go for that first.

Exile
2007-04-11, 09:27 PM
Yeah pretty much what Snark said, this isn't a build to tango solo with the Big T and walk away from it :)