PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Looking for a benefit for a player

Thurbane
2015-03-24, 03:19 PM
So, the Duskblade in my group joined the Wizards Guild of Greyhawk in last night's session.

One of the benefits normally gained from being a member is access to scribe a 4th or level spell into your spellbook after each adventure in the Greyhawk area (aimed at Wizards, obviously). Being a Duskblade, she cannot benefit from this.

I was wondering what I could substitute in place of this? Membership is 100gp per year, so i didn't want anything with significant monetary value. She asked if she could get an extra spell known, but since that's normally worth a feat, I thought it was a bit OP. I don't want the benefit gained to make the other players feel jibbed.

Any suggestions?

Is there another group affiliation benefit I could sub for this?

Cheers - T

pwcsponson
2015-03-24, 03:36 PM
Dragon Magazine 333, page 93 has an item called the Knowstone. It's a rock that grants a spontaneous caster the knowledge of the spell inscribed on the rock. The user must have the spell on his or her spell list to know and cast the spell. Just having the Knowstone on person grants the carrier knowledge of the spell, and removing the stone from possession removes knowledge of the spell.

It's like giving the wizard a new spell in his book: if the book is destroyed then effectively so is his knowledge of it. Except you give the duskblade a rock, which can be taken/destroyed much like the wizard's.

On that note: A Necropolitan Sorcerer Swordsage with a Knowstone of Stone Bones (because why would you actually learn stone bones) can cast Stone Bones and use Stone Dragon Stone Bones maneuver to have Stone Bones and Stone Bones.

Aresneo
2015-03-24, 03:41 PM
The SRD puts access to another person's spell book as a service worth 100 gp x the level of the spell, meaning that benefit is worth up to 400 gp. Give the player some scrolls worth less then that as a reward after each mission, their consumable so the wealth increase doesn't last that long, and you can select spells that help the whole party when choosing which ones to give them.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-03-24, 06:41 PM
You could give him (allow him to take?) the Magical Training feat in PGtF, which gives you a spellbook with a few 0-level spells and a few 0-level spell slots to prepare them in. Per Rules Compendium he would be able to add more spells to the spellbook exactly as a Wizard does. From there he can take Versatile Spellcaster in Races of the Dragon to spend two of his Duskblade spell slots of the same level to cast any spell he knows of one higher level, including spells he's put into that spellbook. Say he has to have the spellbook open to the spell in question, which would severely limit its usefulness in combat, but it would add considerable versatility to the character. Gaining those 0-level spell slots with the Wizard list will also enable him to use wands of wizard spells, such as Wraithstrike, which per Rules Compendium will have an activation time identical to the spell's casting time.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-24, 06:46 PM
You could give him (allow him to take?) the Magical Training feat in PGtF, which gives you a spellbook with a few 0-level spells and a few 0-level spell slots to prepare them in. Per Rules Compendium he would be able to add more spells to the spellbook exactly as a Wizard does. From there he can take Versatile Spellcaster in Races of the Dragon to spend two of his Duskblade spell slots of the same level to cast any spell he knows of one higher level, including spells he's put into that spellbook. Say he has to have the spellbook open to the spell in question, which would severely limit its usefulness in combat, but it would add considerable versatility to the character. Gaining those 0-level spell slots with the Wizard list will also enable him to use wands of wizard spells, such as Wraithstrike, which per Rules Compendium will have an activation time identical to the spell's casting time.

This is good, as this gives the Duskblade some great utility if they choose to invest in it.

Thurbane
2015-03-25, 02:44 PM
So, looking through the books for some other affiliation benefits, I offered the player a choice of one of the following:

Any spell casting services by the Guild at 3/4 normal price.
+2 bonus to any Knowledge check made while in the Guild library.
Requisition a 1st level scroll or potion 1/month.