PDA

View Full Version : Best/Fav Weapon Enchantments?

EastbySoutheast
2015-03-24, 07:01 PM
So i was simply wondering what your fav/best weapon enchantments in your opinions?
If you could break the selections sown at all that would be great i.e. melee, throwing, ranged etc

EDIT: where possible could you list the source the enchantment is found in

OldTrees1
2015-03-24, 07:29 PM
All weapons:
Transmuting[MiC?]: The weapon adapts for 10rds to bypass an enemy's DR after 1 hit.
Speed[DMG]: An extra attack is useful if your build uses full attacks. ToB Strikers need not apply.

Necroticplague
2015-03-24, 07:37 PM
Wrathful Healing, from Enemies and Allies.
Smoking, from Lords of Darkness
Lifedrinker
Necrotic Focus, from Libris Mortis.

bjoern
2015-03-24, 07:41 PM
Transmuting is good for a +2.

However Collision is better as it is also a +2 and gives +5 untyped damage. Enough to offset DR5/anything, and still get you more damage against everyone else. And it gets multiplied on a crit.
Disclaimer: as you go up in levels and frequently encountering DR 10 and DR15, transmuting becomes better . but until then, I'd use collision.

Also, spell storing is amazing for a +1
And Smoking from Lords of Darkness is great at a +1

Vrock_Summoner
2015-03-24, 07:51 PM
Valorous. For the reasonable price of a +1 weapon enhancement, double your damage on a charge. A nice part of the multiplication mash you can throw together for charging builds of all kinds, and a pretty awesome enchantment for melee builds lacking Pounce in general, so that the round you spend getting into full-attacking range doesn't suck so much for damage.

ben-zayb
2015-03-24, 07:59 PM
Seeking Because some blanket statements (negates ALL miss chances) are just that good
Aptitude Because slapping "these feats only affect specific weapons" on the face is just too funny and sad at the same time

chaos_redefined
2015-03-24, 08:05 PM
+1 enhancements
Martial Discipline (BoNS): If you are a ToB character, or have taken Martial Stance, then this is usually a +3 to hit. Otherwise, it does nothing. +3 is pretty notable.
Bane (DMG/SRD): If you are in a campaign where you will mostly see one creature type, then bane against that creature type is +2 to hit, +2d6+2 to damage. Can't get much better than that.
Warning (MIC): If you aren't actually hitting people with your weapon, because, say, you're a caster, than +5 to initiative is pretty good.
Defending (DMG/SRD): +5 to AC for a -5 to hit. Did you say you weren't actually making attack rolls? So... it's +5 to AC for no drawback? All good. (You need a +5 weapon for that effect, but you get the idea.)
Sonic (MIC): +1d6 damage that isn't commonly resisted. See if anything else from this list applies.

+2 enhancements
Skillful (MIC/CA): Makes you 3/4 BAB progression. Incarnates, for example, are 1/2 BAB progression while still wanting to hit things.
Enervating (MIC): Crit-fishers only.
Parrying (MIC): Get Warning first, but +1 to saves. Also, +1 to AC, but you probably rely on miss chances if you are using this.
Holy (SRD): You were fighting evil things anyway, right?

+3 enhancements
Splitting (CoR): Bows only. If you have a bow, you want this property.
Cursespewing (MIC): Crit-fishers.

+4 and +5 are a tad too expensive in most cases, I usually don't even carry that high a weapon at high levels, just coz there are so many better ways to spend my money.

Sudden Stunning + Stunning Surge should be on every charisma-based melee guy ever.

OldTrees1
2015-03-24, 08:06 PM
Transmuting is good for a +2.

However Collision is better as it is also a +2 and gives +5 untyped damage. Enough to offset DR5/anything, and still get you more damage against everyone else. And it gets multiplied on a crit.
Disclaimer: as you go up in levels and frequently encountering DR 10 and DR15, transmuting becomes better . but until then, I'd use collision.

Why would you be paying for a +3 weapon early enough before DR 10 than it makes sense to buy and then sell a Collision weapon?

Necroticplague
2015-03-24, 08:09 PM
Defending (DMG/SRD): +5 to AC for a -5 to hit. Did you say you weren't actually making attack rolls? So... it's +5 to AC for no drawback? All good. (You need a +5 weapon for that effect, but you get the idea.)

Sub-point on this one: It says the bonus stacks with all others, and not that you need to attack with it. So get multiple if you can afford it. +5 Defending armor spikes, +5 defending armor razors, +5 defending braid blades, +5 defending poison rings.....hidden blades......axe-bucklers.....These things are great if you need to squeeze a bit of AC into your character.

bjoern
2015-03-24, 08:38 PM
Why would you be paying for a +3 weapon early enough before DR 10 than it makes sense to buy and then sell a Collision weapon?

Myself, I don't sell it. I'll take the extra 5 damage from collision.

Honestly if a weapon enchantment said "reduces all DR by 5" wed be all excited about it.
Collision does this, and hurts everyone else at the same time and should you manage a crit, it reduces the DR by 10.

I'm all about consistentcy. I feel that collision is more consistently useful than transmuting.

Edit--in my first post I was talking about when literally everyone you meet. Barkeeps, beggers, etc everyone has DR15+. When you NEVER meet anyone below that point again in our games that is usually close to level 20 or beyond.

OldTrees1
2015-03-24, 09:59 PM
Myself, I don't sell it. I'll take the extra 5 damage from collision.

Honestly if a weapon enchantment said "reduces all DR by 5" wed be all excited about it.
Collision does this, and hurts everyone else at the same time and should you manage a crit, it reduces the DR by 10.

I'm all about consistentcy. I feel that collision is more consistently useful than transmuting.

Edit--in my first post I was talking about when literally everyone you meet. Barkeeps, beggers, etc everyone has DR15+. When you NEVER meet anyone below that point again in our games that is usually close to level 20 or beyond.

I find that most weapon enhancements are lackluster compared to other gear that could be taken. So I mostly choose weapon enhancements by differences in kind (like Speed) or by their unlocking capabilities. Eventually one needs a +1 weapon to be able to hit incorporeal creatures. Likewise Transmuting allows you to get past creatures that you otherwise would be at a huge disadvantage against.

While Transmuting is usually a smaller impact than the +5 default typed damage of Collision, neither Transmuting nor Collision make a significant impact the majority of the time. When they do make a significant impact (DR opponents) then Transmuting can unlock further than Collision can.

However this is all assuming the majority of the martial prowess is coming from the warrior and not the weapon. If you gear differently then some of these premises change.

Eloel
2015-03-24, 10:11 PM
+3 Splitting (MIC) is a must for high-level archers.
+1 Aptitude (ToB) is going to get you a book on the face if you use it in a creative manner. Keen Kukris/Rapiers love the Lightning Mace feat from Complete Warrior.

Doughnut Master
2015-03-24, 10:51 PM
Wounding is pretty good if you have a lot of attacks. Con damage gets nasty at higher HD.

Wrathful Healing is hilarious on a brawler. "Your pain makes me stronger!"

Vrock_Summoner
2015-03-24, 11:22 PM

I just got the mental image of a bunch of Tarrasques (yes, I know it's a unique creature) in various low-end positions of society. Like a tarrasque wearing a blanket with holes in it and begging for change on the side of the street town or reaching a claw with a rag on the end of it through a big window to wipe tables at a tavern.

Hiro Quester
2015-03-24, 11:31 PM
Spellblade: greater dispel magic (PGF)

For 6000 gp you become immune to a particular spell targeted at the wielder. Plus next turn you can direct that spell at a different target.

Greater dispel because dispelling my buff spells would suck. And because it's useful to throw that back at its caster.

geekintheground
2015-03-25, 04:10 AM
i like warning and eager. +7 initiative on characters that really like to go 1st. and some possible bonus damage to go with it.

Xerlith
2015-03-25, 05:46 AM
I like Focus Eager katanas as "ornament" weapons when I can afford them. A +4 to Iaijutsu checks is nice for 640gp.

bjoern
2015-03-25, 06:43 AM
I just got the mental image of a bunch of Tarrasques (yes, I know it's a unique creature) in various low-end positions of society. Like a tarrasque wearing a blanket with holes in it and begging for change on the side of the street town or reaching a claw with a rag on the end of it through a big window to wipe tables at a tavern.

Lol, that isn't exactly what I meant. Hilarious though.

atemu1234
2015-03-25, 09:55 AM
Wounding is pretty good if you have a lot of attacks. Con damage gets nasty at higher HD.

Wrathful Healing is hilarious on a brawler. "Your pain makes me stronger!"

Constitution damage is a beast anyways.

FocusWolf413
2015-03-25, 09:59 AM
I like Impaling. It isn't amazing, but everyone loves touch attacks.

Elder_Basilisk
2015-03-25, 11:13 AM
3.5, I was a big fan of holy, wounding, and magebane.

Holy--An extra 2d6 damage against most of my foes and defeats the DR of most anything weaker than a marilith? Sign me up.

Wounding--Con damage is awesome

Magebane--Almost every high end enemy has spell-like abilities, so this is almost +2 to hit and 2d6+2 to damage against everything you care to hit for the price of a +1.

I also liked the ghost touch+undead bane combination. Most incorporeal creatures are undead and the 50% miss chance is very annoying.

In pathfinder, I haven't actually had a chance to play with any named enhancements yet, but they seem to have gotten a lot more situational.

Wounding is terrible again--one of the biggest disappointments for me in the system. (It would be worthwhile if it did 7 or so times as much bleed damage).

Holy is still good. And Cruel looks interesting for an intimidate build which is a lot easier to make effective in Pathfinder.

Firechanter
2015-03-26, 06:40 PM
I hardly ever use any properties with a +2 or greater price tag. +1s and fixed cost ones are usually more efficient.

On main weapon:
- Since I enjoy playing Martial Adepts, Discipline usually is on the wishlist. +3 to Attack is awesome, and if you use Power Attack a bit it effectively becomes a +2 Enhancement for a price of just +1 bonus. In the past I've actually used Discipline twice (for instance "Iron Heart and Diamond Mind") for +4 to +6 attack bonus. ^^
- Spellblade, keyed to (Greater) Dispel Magic, depending on level range.
- Valorous, if I want to be a Charger. A +1 bonus that doubles your damage output, nuff said.
- Everbright if your DM is a **** and throws corrosive stuff at you. It's basically a 2000GP tax.

On armour spikes:
- Warning is awesome if you want to pump your Ini mod.
- Defending is awesome if you can get a GMW with good CL cast on it every day.

In very specific campaigns, Bane Weapons can be really awesome. However, in our current game where it would really pay off (most enemies are either Goblinoids or Dragons), the DM said that he'd find it pretty lame if we took Bane. :-/ I kinda understand, as a +1 with 2 Banes would cost 18K but perform like a 50K weapon (+3 Collision) against 90% of enemies.

On another note: since I've seen Transmuting or Metalline mentioned here; in this thread I explain why these are terrible options:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?405920-Cheap-DR-workarounds

Curmudgeon
2015-03-26, 11:09 PM
Straight numeric enhancements are the best. Dispel Magic targeting Greater Magic Weapon is a common battlefield tactic of smart enemies. Keen is the most common non-numeric enhancement I favor for melee weapons. Splitting is the best non-numeric enhancement for bows or crossbows.

Naez
2015-03-26, 11:30 PM
Metalline (Underdark) - Weapon is always correct metal for DR. +1 Enhancement
Splitting (Champions of ruin) - Double tap on all bow attacks. +3 Enhancement
Speed (SRD) - One additional attack on each Full-round attack you make. If you allow tome of battle you can get multiple per turn. +3 Enhancement
Sure Striking (A&EG) - Weapon is always correct alignment for DR. +1 Enhancement

Ravens_cry
2015-03-26, 11:59 PM
For some Pathfinder exclusives, I like Agile (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/agile), a +1 that gives you Dexterity to damage from Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Pathfinder Society Field Guide.
Very nice for TWF I find, One I have yet to use that has me drooling a little is Fortuitous (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/fortuitous) from Advanced Class Guide, a +1 that let's you take another Attack of Opportunity at -5 penalty against the same triggering condition. "Oh, look, I hit you, now I hit you again!" It would work very nicely I think for a duo build that trades criticals and attacks of opportunity back and forth between beefcake with big ass axe or *shiver* scythe THF and a 15-20 TWF.

Metahuman1
2015-03-27, 12:15 AM
Many of the one's I like are already listed. But, I would like to add the following.

Merciful: Sometimes, it pays to have someone alive after the fighting is over. Interrogate for useful Intel, use for a prisoner/hostage exchange, use to help kidnap that important NPC for leverage, get creative.

If you can get immunity to None Lethal damage: Vicious + Merciful. Make the extra damage you take none lethal, your immune, let's you pump damage a nice little bit.

Harmonizing: For helping you get the most out of bard levels with out loss of actions.

Last Resort: If you build right, this can be a very nice +1.

Now, for Archers,

Force: It's a +2, but it's a good chunk of the nice ness of Hanks bow in one package.

Exit wound: +1d10 damage and the arrow can keep going to hit another target for a +1. What's not to love? And best when coupled with,

Exploding: Sure, it works on melee weapons with reach, but your just straight better off using it on a bow or other ranged weapon. +3d6 freaking force damage, and some AoE run off damage to boot? Yes please.

SangoProduction
2015-03-28, 08:02 PM
Eager, definitely. It's quite broken just by design. Wouldn't be so broken if you were required to draw it next turn to get it this turn, but that isn't how it's written.
Take a bandoleer of eager throwing daggers, and never worry about initiative because you always have +1000 to the check.

Curmudgeon
2015-03-28, 09:46 PM
Eager, definitely. ...
Take a bandoleer of eager throwing daggers, and never worry about initiative because you always have +1000 to the check.
You've still got the stacking issue, with each bonus from the same source: the Eager weapon enhancement. You get +2, not +1000.

Edit: Also, if anyone in your game has Magic Item Compendium, you're going to be using the updated version of this weapon property rather than the Arms and Equipment Guide original:
While wielding it, you gain a +2 bonus on initiative checks and a +2 bonus on damage rolls made during a surprise round and the first round of combat.

Troacctid
2015-03-29, 12:09 AM
How about Paralyzing? Any target struck by it must make a DC 17 Will save or be paralyzed for 10 rounds. Okay, a decent number of things are immune to paralysis, but adding a save-or-lose on every single attack you make seems pretty solid for a +2 enchantment.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-03-29, 03:59 AM
For melee, definitely Wrathful Healing.
DR bypassers aren't that necessary imo with how easy it is to get Mountain Hammer or Foehammer. Even with ToB banned getting an adamantine weapon and using Silversheen when necessary takes care of most DR situations while saving a ton of money.
Instead of paying a +3 for Speed i'd rather get Boots of Speed. You get the full benefits of Haste, they're activated as a free action and you can put other stuff on your weapon.

Your main weapon should get Eager. A gauntlet or armor spikes with Warning, Defending & Spellstrike is also useful for everyone, though i'd wait with the last two until you get more important purchases out of the way.
Spellblade (keyed to Greater Dispel Magic) is an often-repeated staple for a reason.

For ranged weapons, Splitting is pretty much the king of weapon enhancements, followed by Seeking.
If you can't get Hank's Energy Bow for some reason i'd ask my DM to allow backporting Adaptive (PF) for the variable strength adjustment. Endless Ammunition can also be useful, though it's rather expensive and you're probably better served getting the quiver from Dragon Compendium instead.

How about Paralyzing? Any target struck by it must make a DC 17 Will save or be paralyzed for 10 rounds. Okay, a decent number of things are immune to paralysis, but adding a save-or-lose on every single attack you make seems pretty solid for a +2 enchantment.

The problem with all the static-DC effect enhancements is that they'll ultimately only work on mooks. Which you usually don't need any help defeating. Any serious enemy will either make the save most of the time or be outright immune.

Metahuman1
2015-03-29, 05:39 PM
Well, theres always the theory of "you will roll a nat one on the save eventually.".

Necroticplague
2015-03-29, 06:37 PM
Well, theres always the theory of "you will roll a nat one on the save eventually.".

Yes, but the chances of 'they happen to roll a nat1' and 'they are enough of a threat for it to matter' both intersecting are very small.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-03-30, 05:44 AM

Even disregarding the "everything worth paralyzing is probably immune anyway" issue, hoping for a natural one isn't exactly the best of strategies.
Especially not for a +2 enhancement.

Metahuman1
2015-03-30, 05:54 AM
En, it depends also on how many attacks your getting during the round. If you can afford to get it in on a TWF build or a Natural Attack build, your making them make 4-6-10 or more saves a round every round you can get a full attack off.

More so if you have other make a save or else effects built in.