View Full Version : Advice on a build

Rad Mage
2015-03-24, 07:02 PM
So I'm interested in the idea of a Monk/Barbarian multiclass. Mainly I'm interested in the concept of a guy who gets angry and punches stuff. How would you recommend making this a reality? How many levels for each class and how should I start are my main questions, but I'm also open to feat and race suggestions.

TrollCapAmerica
2015-03-24, 07:17 PM
Monk might be optional if you just grab the Tavern Brawler feat

Madfellow
2015-03-24, 07:18 PM
I think you don't need more than 2 levels of monk in order to make this build work. Levels 3 and up are all barbarian. It'll be multi-attribute dependent compared to a single-class monk or barbarian, but it can totally work.

Madfellow
2015-03-24, 07:20 PM
Monk might be optional if you just grab the Tavern Brawler feat

The difference between Monk 2 / Barbarian X and a single-class barbarian with Tavern Brawler is that the multiclass version has three attacks per turn compared to the single-class only having one. An unarmed strike isn't a light weapon wielded in one hand; it's your entire body basically counted as one weapon, so you can't dual-wield an unarmed strike. The monk's Martial Arts class feature gets around that.

Edit:

http://www.artofmtg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Khans-of-Tarkir-Art.jpg

Rad Mage
2015-03-24, 07:24 PM
I think you don't need more than 2 levels of monk in order to make this build work. Levels 3 and up are all barbarian. It'll be multi-attribute dependent compared to a single-class monk or barbarian, but it can totally work.

I don't have a problem with MAD, but I feel like I might be missing out on some damage potential without the increased die size from higher level martial arts. Plus the extra Ki doesn't hurt.

Madfellow
2015-03-24, 07:26 PM
I don't have a problem with MAD, but I feel like I might be missing out on some damage potential without the increased die size from higher level martial arts. Plus the extra Ki doesn't hurt.

I think the Barbarian's Rage progression should go a long way toward offsetting that.

Rad Mage
2015-03-24, 07:31 PM
http://www.artofmtg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Khans-of-Tarkir-Art.jpg

This... I want this

Jlooney
2015-03-24, 08:33 PM
This... I want this

It's called savage punch it's a magic the gathering card

Rad Mage
2015-03-24, 09:12 PM
It's called savage punch it's a magic the gathering card

Thought as much. I was actually referring to the character concept though.