PDA

View Full Version : Ranged Grapple?

Olethros
2007-04-11, 02:23 PM
OK, so not realy "ranged," more like slightly over there.

Some weapons discriptions include phrases like "can be used to entangle an opponents...", spiked chain and whip come to mind. Does anybody know of RAW for not using this to trip or disarm, but leave the enemy entangled in the weapon. Basically using the weapon to initiate a grapple.

I am also thinking in terms of, how does a lasso or hoop-staff work in D&D?

...Eh?
2007-04-11, 03:43 PM
I'm not sure about a hoop staff, but the Lasso from BoED, which requires an Exotic Weapon Proficiency, deals no damage, but instead makes a ranged touch attack grappled against the opponent's arms/legs/chest, ect.

Aximili
2007-04-11, 03:57 PM
Can't be done with a spiked chain or whip. They're not "entangly" enough.

The best you can do with one of these weapons is to wrap it around a limb, and (if you don't immediately try to trip the opponent) it will basicaly unwrap it self.

Pocket lint
2007-04-11, 05:07 PM
Net?
Don't know if there are rules for it anywhere, but it seems like the thing to use. Otherwise lasso as mentioned.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-04-11, 06:28 PM
Can't be done with a spiked chain or whip. They're not "entangly" enough.Not totally accurate. The Balor can do it with a whip.

Aximili
2007-04-11, 06:45 PM
Indeed, but it's a magical whip. One could even estrapolate to say that the Balor controls it's movements.

Turning that into a magic weapon enhancement, would be pretty neat.

CabbageTheif
2007-04-11, 06:55 PM
right. alsoo it receives an attack of opportunity with the whip when plummetting, whether due to a sudden lack of bridge or otherwise.

Kel_Arath
2007-04-11, 09:01 PM
net and tangle foot bag are all that come to mind. but whips are chains just do some tripping. though (and i know you asked for RAW) talk to a DM about magical abilites that could do that to/enchant a whip

Falrin
2007-04-11, 09:25 PM
isn't there a feat somewhere that lets you do this? When an opponent stands next to a wall or other obstacle you can shoot an arrow to pin his clothes to the wall.

Kyace
2007-04-11, 10:23 PM
isn't there a feat somewhere that lets you do this? When an opponent stands next to a wall or other obstacle you can shoot an arrow to pin his clothes to the wall.
Player: Hurray, I finally get the Pin-clothes-to-wall feat!
GM: Enjoy it.

One month later...

Player: Hmm..
GM: Yes?
Player: I can't help but notice that every foe we've faced in the last month has always stayed 5 feet away from walls, doors or even tables.
GM: Thats not true, that one wizard stood in a niche in the wall.
Player: The one with freedom of movement?
GM: Thats the one.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-12, 11:46 AM
Indeed, but it's a magical whip. One could even estrapolate to say that the Balor controls it's movements.

Turning that into a magic weapon enhancement, would be pretty neat.

I think the whip is practically an extra limb, since it can summon the thing at will and control it mentally. It's more like a flaming tentacle that happens to extend from a hand that appears to be gripping something.

Olethros
2007-04-12, 01:08 PM
I have been kicking around the idea if a intellegent whip, perhaps its greater powers could mimick the bealors whip.

Quietus
2007-04-12, 01:27 PM
Player: Hurray, I finally get the Pin-clothes-to-wall feat!
GM: Enjoy it.

One month later...

Player: Hmm..
GM: Yes?
Player: I can't help but notice that every foe we've faced in the last month has always stayed 5 feet away from walls, doors or even tables.
GM: Thats not true, that one wizard stood in a niche in the wall.
Player: The one with freedom of movement?
GM: Thats the one.

That's when you get your Fighter buddy to pick up Improved Bull Rush (isn't that a prerequisite for Shock Trooper?), and you grab Precise Shot/Improved Precise Shot. Have him push the enemy to the wall, you nail'em there (with a hail of arrows from manyshot, if your DM will allow it?), and they get a full attack against a foe pinned against the wall next turn, so they lose their dex to AC.