PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Cold and fire subtype.

Azrael9986
2015-03-24, 10:37 PM
Fire subtype and cold subtype do they stack or negate each other to having 50% resist across the board?

DrMotives
2015-03-24, 10:45 PM
Just from a pure abstract spreadsheet kind of thinking I'd say immune to both energy forms, but conceptually how are you doing this? I've never seen it, and depending on how the in-game logic is for applying both subtypes might sway my thinking.

Azrael9986
2015-03-24, 10:51 PM
Mantle of Icy soul and Mantle of fiery spirit. each adds a subtype with no stipulations of any kind. it just says adds Cold or fire subtype and nothing else really.

Rowan Wolf
2015-03-24, 10:55 PM
Not where I thought this was going I was picturing it become a pink dragon discussion.

Hiro Quester
2015-03-24, 10:57 PM
I used to play a bard that acquired the fire subtype. Then noticed the druid spell (icy mantle?) in Frostburn that granted the cold subtype. That looked feasible, for a brief minute, to be a "singer of ice and fire".

Is this the combo you are thinking of?
(Edit: ninjad. It is icy mantle you're considering. It doesn't work. See below)

In Spell Compendium they errataed the spell to say that a fire creature subject to the spell does not gain the cold subtype, but just loses their Fire subtype for the duration of the spell.

So at least this particular way of gaining both is deliberately blocked.

Azrael9986
2015-03-24, 11:01 PM
What about if they have normal immunity to cold and then gain the fire subtype?

DrMotives
2015-03-24, 11:16 PM
What about if they have normal immunity to cold and then gain the fire subtype?

So something like a fire giant lich? I'd say immune to both.

Hiro Quester
2015-03-24, 11:17 PM
My bard had fire subtype, and I used to persist dragonskin with resistance to cold energy. I can't see why energy immunity would not stack, blocking taking double damage from cold.

Or vice versa: cold subtype plus casting energy immunity: fire

Azrael9986
2015-03-24, 11:30 PM
So this would be worth it for a lich to take. o-o Immune to cold, fire, and electricity. only leaving acid and sonic to hurt it out of the elements. Might be ways to change that. anyone know of a good way to apply something to do that?

Hiro Quester
2015-03-24, 11:51 PM
Rod of extend spell plus 6th level pearl of power. 47k.

For two 6th level spell slots/day you get immunity to all energy types, plus cast superior resistance.

Each lasts 48 hours. Cast three extended energy immunities one day, two plus superior resistance the next.

Biffoniacus_Furiou is fond of advocating that buff routine.

Azrael9986
2015-03-25, 12:35 AM
3 extended? o-o wouldn't I only need 2?

atemu1234
2015-03-25, 10:12 AM
Fire subtype and cold subtype do they stack or negate each other to having 50% resist across the board?

They stack, you'd be immune to both.

Hiro Quester
2015-03-25, 10:57 AM
3 extended? o-o wouldn't I only need 2?

Yes. I was just repeating his oft-repeated recipe for a character with 6th levels slots and no immunities already.

Bronk
2015-03-25, 01:45 PM
Once you have both, you're only downside is that if you do happen to take fire damage that gets through the immunity (like with 'searing spell' from Sandstorm) you'd take the +50% again.

Azrael9986
2015-03-25, 07:04 PM
I thought that ability makes it do half damage through immunitys aka raising it to 75% damage instead of the full 100% fire? so just add 30 fire resist on the armor then. XD

EDIT: unless it doesn't work like the cold version does o-o

Eloel
2015-03-25, 07:08 PM
I thought that ability makes it do half damage through immunitys aka raising it to 75% damage instead of the full 100% fire? so just add 30 fire resist on the armor then. XD

EDIT: unless it doesn't work like the cold version does o-o

50% and +50% = 100%, not 75%. D&D stacking rules.

Azrael9986
2015-03-25, 07:23 PM
You know what I think it might just be better to cast three spells and get immunity that way. as subtypes are just subpar. as we are both wrong.

cold and fire subtype together would be a horrible idea. if you used searing spell or the cold version of it.

Because if you use searing on something with cold subtype. it increases damage by 200% so using the cold version on me would wreck me for even more damage then it would have before just taking it normally.

So dropping the subtype stuff and just casting 3 spells.

Hiro Quester
2015-03-25, 07:50 PM
You know what I think it might just be better to cast three spells and get immunity that way. as subtypes are just subpar. as we are both wrong.

cold and fire subtype together would be a horrible idea. if you used searing spell or the cold version of it.

Because if you use searing on something with cold subtype. it increases damage by 200% so using the cold version on me would wreck me for even more damage then it would have before just taking it normally.

So dropping the subtype stuff and just casting 3 spells.

Then get a rod of extend spell, so they last 48 hrs instead of 24 hours. Cast on alternate days.