PDA

View Full Version : Good Learning Experiences for a GM?

Nerdynick
2015-03-24, 11:06 PM
Okay, so I have a huge backlog of games I want to run. Some of these games I want to run just to see how it would go and how it alters the play dynamics; things like a naval D&D game or a Shadowrun game where players are working for The Man. Some of these experimental games answer in-game playstyle questions (like the aforementioned), while some answer a more metagame question (see my previous thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?403185-Thought-Dump-How-Cooperative-Should-Cooperative-Storytelling-Really-Be)). Some of these ideas are often regarded as just bad (see naval campaigns), but everybody wants to run one at some point and I figure I might as well learn from it. What I want to know from you guys is if you have any further ideas for good experimental campaigns that provide a learning experience for a GM (and perhaps players)?

Thrudd
2015-03-24, 11:17 PM
Every single game is a learning experience, regardless of system or content. You can't predict exactly what you will learn. Try every kind of game you can, every genre, every style, if you want the broadest experience.

Play collaborative narrative-focused games, sandbox simulation focused games, hardcore tactical combat, large scale battles, fast and loose light rules cinematic action. experiment with giving players different amounts of control over the narrative. Try collaborative world building as a way to get a campaign started.

Geddy2112
2015-03-25, 01:13 AM
I think there is a pathfinder module to run a campaign from level 1 to level 20 all in a dungeon. Once you can run a dungeon crawl campaign, you can easily run a short 1-2 session crawl.