PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me put together a comprehensive list of first-party 3.0/3.5 material?

Ephemeral_Being
2015-03-24, 11:33 PM
So, I was recently given an absolutely massive selection of books by a friend. And I'd like to fill out the last of the collection. To that end, I'm trying to see what books I still need to go and pick up over the summer. Unfortunately, I can't find a list anywhere that actually names every official DnD 3.0/3.5 book. So, I'm making my own. Part of the problem I'm running into, though, is that I'm not 100% sure what's "first party" versus "approved by WotC." Mostly, that's in regards to campaign related materials. But there are a few others I see debate about.

So, if anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate it. I know I'm missing a lot of the Greyhawk/Eberron setting books. I've never looked at either of them in much depth, and wasn't sure what was official.

I'm going to break up books by type using Spoiler tags, to try and make it easier to follow. If you name a book I missed, I'll edit it into the OP. If there are any that are disputed, let me know. I'll flag them, add a footnote to the OP. I just really want a complete list so I can make sure I've got everything. If you have suggestions on how to break it up so that it's easier for other people to use in the future, PLEASE tell me. I'm doing this slipshod, going off notes from about 12 different websites and the box next to me. It's going to be messy until I figure out a better system.

Dragonlance Campaign Setting

Dragonmarked
Dragons of Eberron
Eberron Campaign Setting
Explorer's Handbook
Faiths of Eberron
Five Nations
Forge of War
Magic of Eberron
Races of Eberron
Secrets of Sarlona
Secrets of Xendrik
Sharn - City of Towers

Champions of Ruin
Champions of Valor
City of Splendors: Waterdeep
City of the Spider Queen
Dragons of Faerun
Faith and Pantheons
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Grand History of the Realms
Lords of Darkness
Lost Empires of Faerun
Magic of Faerun
Monsters of Faerun
Mysteries of the Moonsea
Player's Guide to Faerun
Power of Faerun
Races of Faerun
Serpent Kingdoms
Serpent Kingdoms
Shining South
Silver Marches
Unapproachable East
Underdark

Gazetteer
Living Greyhawk Gazetteer

Ghostwalk
Frostburn
Oriental Adventurers
Stormwrack
Sandstorm

Defenders of the Faith: A Guidebook to Clerics and Paladins
Hero Builder's Guide
Masters of the Wild: A Guidebook to Barbarians, Druids, and Rangers
Song and Silence: A Guidebook to Bards and Rogues
Sword and Fist: A Guidebook to Fighters and Monks
Tome and Blood: A Guidebook to Wizards and Sorcerers

Complete Adventurer
Complete Arcane
Complete Champion
Complete Divine
Complete Mage
Complete Psionic
Complete Scoundrel
Complete Warrior

Dungeon Master's Guide I
Dungeon Master's Guide II
Epic Level Handbook
Miniature's Handbook
Player's Handbook I
Player's Handbook II
Planar Handbook

Arms and Equipment Guide
Magic Item Compendium
Stronghold Builder's Guidebook
Weapons of Legacy

Book of Exalted Deeds
Book of Vile Darkness
Cityscape
Deities and Demigods
Dragon Compendium Volume I
Dragon Magic
Drow of the Underdark
Dungeonscape
Exemplars of Evil
Heroes of Battle
Heroes of Horror
Libris Mortis: The Book of Undead
Manual of the Planes
Rules Compendium
Spell Compendium

Draconomicon: The Book of Dragons
Elder Evils
Fiend Folio
Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss
Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells
Lords of Madness
Monster Manual I
Monster Manual II
Monster Manual III
Monster Manual IV
Monster Manual V
Savage Species

Expanded Psionics Handbook
Magic of Incarnum
Psionics Handbook
Tome of Battle: Book of the Nine Swords
Tome of Magic
Unearthed Arcana

Races of Destiny
Races of Stone
Races of the Dragon
Races of the Wild

That's what I've come up with so far. If you can name a book I haven't listed yet, let me know. If I've got one that shouldn't be there, let me know. Basically, I want to make this as good as it can be.

Eloel
2015-03-24, 11:36 PM
You need links to the online stuff like Font of Inspiration.

Ephemeral_Being
2015-03-24, 11:57 PM
You need links to the online stuff like Font of Inspiration.

That's the NEXT step. I'm doing books, then compiling web resources. Then combining the two in order to list all material related to a certain class. So I can find Warlock, for example, and have a list of all books that I might want to check for, say, a Prestige Class or Alternate Class Feature. Not a description of what they ARE, but just a reference to say "It's located here." It'll help when my friends and I want to roll up new characters in the future.

Eloel
2015-03-25, 12:06 AM
You're missing Kingdom of Kalamar books.

There is;
Atlas
Dangerous Denizens
Player's Guide
Salt and Sea Dogs
Stealth and Style
Villain Design Handbook

Also missing:
Stronghold Builder's Guidebook
Weapons of Legacy
Arms and Equipments Guide
Magic Item Compendium (!!)
Dragonlance Age of Mortals
Dragonlance Bestiary of Krynn

I'll let someone else list Eberron, because it's a lot.

GilesTheCleric
2015-03-25, 12:16 AM
FR:
grand history of the realms
monsters of faerun
mysteries of the moonsea

GH: "Official Listing of Deities for Use in the Campaign Version 2.0 – March 2, 2005
Edited by Steven Conforti"

Eb:
blades of the quori
dragons of eberron
faiths of eberron
five nations
forge of war
magic of eberron
player's guide to eberron
secrets of sarlona
secrets of xendrik
sharn - city of towers
the race of eight winds
the trials of academia

There might some adventures and other things mixed in here.

None of the Ravenloft or KoK material is any more than wotc-licensed; they are 3rd party. Only the Dragonlance campaign setting is WotC-legal; dragon magazine is paizo-published, but generally accepted here in the playground as legal material.

That's the NEXT step. I'm doing books, then compiling web resources. Then combining the two in order to list all material related to a certain class. So I can find Warlock, for example, and have a list of all books that I might want to check for, say, a Prestige Class or Alternate Class Feature. Not a description of what they ARE, but just a reference to say "It's located here." It'll help when my friends and I want to roll up new characters in the future.

I just take photos of all the material in books that I think I might use, or else consult lists that are already extant here in the playground or on other sites (eg. X to Y, handbooks). It's much faster than actually going through all of the books every time. http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/ryuusui-ken/Screen%20shot%202015-03-24%20at%2011.19.14%20PM_zps9nnpvtq4.jpg

Eloel
2015-03-25, 12:20 AM
None of the Ravenloft or KoK material is any more than wotc-licensed; they are 3rd party. Only the Dragonlance campaign setting is WotC-legal

My KoK books clearly have the "Official WotC licensed product" logo in them.

Ephemeral_Being
2015-03-25, 12:21 AM
None of the Ravenloft or KoK material is any more than wotc-licensed; they are 3rd party. Only the Dragonlance campaign setting is WotC-legal; dragon magazine is paizo-published, but generally accepted here in the playground as legal material.

Really? NONE of the Ravenloft material is official? At all? Same with KoK? I thought the Campaign Settings, at least, were sort of approved by WotC.

Eloel
2015-03-25, 12:23 AM
Really? NONE of the Ravenloft material is official? At all? Same with KoK? I thought the Campaign Settings, at least, were sort of approved by WotC.

Rereading it, he says they're licensed, not WotC-printed.

GilesTheCleric
2015-03-25, 12:26 AM
My KoK books clearly have the "Official WotC licensed product" logo in them.

Yes, that's what I said. They're wotc-licensed, but published by third parties. If the OP is looking for first-party material as stated in the subject for the thread, it's useful to know.

Edit: swordsaged.

Ephemeral_Being
2015-03-25, 12:27 AM
Yes, that's what I said. They're wotc-licensed, but published by third parties. If the OP is looking for first-party material as stated in the subject for the thread, it's useful to know.

Alright, then I'll take them out. Thanks.

GilesTheCleric
2015-03-25, 12:33 AM
Alright, then I'll take them out. Thanks.

Sorry to rain a bit on the parade =( If your group wants to play with the material, there's nothing stopping you. WotC-licensed still means something.

Ephemeral_Being
2015-03-25, 12:36 AM
Sorry to rain a bit on the parade =( If your group wants to play with the material, there's nothing stopping you. WotC-licensed still means something.

Nah, the whole point of this is sorting out official from unofficial.

You cited a few things that didn't seem to be books in the Eberron section. When I looked them up, they were 2-4 page supplements. Did I miss something? Or is that actually all " blades of the quori" is?

GilesTheCleric
2015-03-25, 12:46 AM
Certainly; I just didn't want any hard feelings. In re-reading my post I realized I might have come off as sounding cold. Anyway.

Blades of the Quori is just a few pages, yes. It's probably from a web article or something. If you need a quick reference to all of the web material, I have a .zip of everything I gathered before it was all removed/moved, and a poster here has made an archive of the material as well (my apologies for not crediting the user!) here (https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5Q9O1xtidQ5aVhaUXlZc1B3Zkk&usp=sharing). Don't forget that many of the published books have "web enhancements", which aren't in the same place as the wotc articles/short stories/etc.

Many adventures also contain information about campaign settings and contain additional game content, but much of it has been re-printed elsewhere (I think the mirror mephit was reprinted in a proper book, for example), and almost all of the rest is specific to factions or something in the adventure.

Ephemeral_Being
2015-03-25, 12:53 AM
Blades of the Quori is just a few pages, yes. It's probably from a web article or something. If you need a quick reference to all of the web material, I have a .zip of everything I gathered before it was all removed/moved, and a poster here has made an archive of the material as well (my apologies for not crediting the user!) here (https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5Q9O1xtidQ5aVhaUXlZc1B3Zkk&usp=sharing). Don't forget that many of the published books have "web enhancements", which aren't in the same place as the wotc articles/short stories/etc.

Yes! I have that folder already. From someone. It's linked to my Google Drive. I have never gone through it. It's on my list of things to do after Finals are over.

GilesTheCleric
2015-03-25, 01:03 AM
The web material, in my opinion, is most useful for DMs. There's a whole lot of pre-fab NPCs (with full build info for levels 1, 6, and 12 iirc) if I need some non-optimized mini-bosses or group leader -type encounters in a jiffy. I don't recall a whole lot of love for mundanes among the character creation materials, and casters have plenty of options without a few extra spells from the web articles. Other than that, I think there's some useful psionic stuff and more vestiges for folks who like those subsystems. In short, you're not missing much by not going through it.

As someone with two english degrees, I didn't find the short stories very worthwhile, but the artwork is handy for characters and tokens. The rules advice articles will be more or less worthwhile based on your knowledge of the system, of course, but I don't think any of them went very deep, ferreted out misconceptions, or discussed obscure-but-important rules. Good luck with your finals! The folks I know in uni have either just finished their spring breaks or are on them now, so I suppose it's not too much longer.

Ungoded
2015-03-25, 06:10 AM
I don't see Exemplars of Evil or Drow of the Underdark in your lists.

Eloel
2015-03-25, 09:14 AM

Is Drow of the Underdark a different book to Underdark?

Ungoded
2015-03-25, 09:52 AM
Is Drow of the Underdark a different book to Underdark?

Yes.

Drow of the Underdark (http://www.amazon.com/Underdark-Dungeons-Dragons-Fantasy-Roleplaying/dp/0786941510)

Underdark (http://www.amazon.com/Underdark-Dungeons-Roleplaying-Forgotten-Accessory/dp/0786930535)

Ephemeral_Being
2015-03-25, 04:41 PM

Good catch! I had never even heard of Exemplars of Evil before. I'll have to track down a copy.

nyjastul69
2015-03-25, 05:01 PM
You're missing the Gazetteer (http://www.tsrinfo.net/archive/3e/gaz.htm). I don't think I saw the Hero Builder's Guide (http://www.tsrinfo.net/archive/3e/hbg.htm) either.

Ephemeral_Being
2015-03-25, 05:10 PM
You're missing the Gazetteer (http://www.tsrinfo.net/archive/3e/gaz.htm). I don't think I saw the Hero Builder's Guide (http://www.tsrinfo.net/archive/3e/hbg.him) listed either.

I read that the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer had all the info inside the smaller one you linked. Is that incorrect?

Added HBG. Although it doesn't look it it has any actual "new" information.

Judge_Worm
2015-03-25, 05:20 PM
Races of Ebberron is a "setting" book, conversely Drow of The Underdark is not.
Sorry, those were two errors that caught my attention.

And you've listed all the first party books I have (and then some), but just for reference... Dragonlance Campaign Setting is the only first party Dragonlance book, although like Dragon Compendium all the rest were approved by WoTC.

Ephemeral_Being
2015-03-25, 05:37 PM
Races of Ebberron is a "setting" book, conversely Drow of The Underdark is not.
Sorry, those were two errors that caught my attention.

And you've listed all the first party books I have (and then some), but just for reference... Dragonlance Campaign Setting is the only first party Dragonlance book, although like Dragon Compendium all the rest were approved by WoTC.

I'll move those around. Thanks for the heads-up.

I'm leaving out "Licensed by WotC" material right now. I'm debating putting up a subsection of those in the OP, but I don't know if there's any interest. It seems like people here don't use them (with the exception of Dragon Compendium).

nyjastul69
2015-03-25, 05:50 PM
I read that the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer had all the info inside the smaller one you linked. Is that incorrect?

Added HBG. Although it doesn't look it it has any actual "new" information.

I believe it does. The map in the Gazetter(smaller one, not LGG) is better IIRC.

Edit: I don't think the HBG has any new material. It is seemed to fit the criteria in the OP however.

Edit II: Enemies and Allies (http://www.tsrinfo.net/archive/3e/enemies.htm) is another book with no new information, just NPC's. You may be interested for completeness sake though.

Edit III: Are you looking for every product that has new info, or are looking for every product? The reason I ask is because some products, such as HBG, don't have new info. Some products that do have new info are modules/adventures. Do you want your list to include those as well?