PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Transmuting weapons?

Azrael9986
2015-03-25, 12:03 AM
It says it gains what it needs to bypass ANY DR on the next round. So it bypasses Material, magic, epic, alignment, blessed, and pretty much anything besides DR/-. Because that means it has no way to shut off the DR. It doesn't say it doesn't work on anything in particular well besides DR/-.

When you score a successful hit with a
transmuting weapon against a creature
that has damage reduction, that attack is
resolved normally. At the start of your next
turn, however, the weapon transforms,
taking on the properties required to overcome
that creature’s damage reduction.
Once so changed, the weapon overcomes
the designated type of damage reduction
for 10 rounds, or until you strike a creature
that has a different type of damage reduction.
In this case, the weapon transforms in
the same manner to overcome that damage
reduction instead. If the target has multiple
types of damage reduction, the weapon
overcomes all of them. If the creature gains
a new type of damage reduction after initially
being struck (from changing its form,
for example), the weapon must change again
before it can overcome the new type.
A transmuting weapon does not gain
any other benefi t of the properties it takes
on, and it always deals normal damage.

for those that don't wanna look it up.

EDIT: also I was curious if the view I took on it is accurate?

atemu1234
2015-03-25, 10:15 AM
By RAW, it would gain "-" as a quality and overcome DR. Or so it seems.

Psyren
2015-03-25, 11:24 AM
This is another D&D unstoppable force + immovable object problem. It says it "takes on the properties required to overcome that creature’s damage reduction" - but for DR/-, no such properties exist. It's a DM call what happens at that point.

Dysart
2015-03-25, 12:54 PM
As a DM I'd rule that it can't overcome DR/- because there is no properties known to man/wizard/divine/infernal/abysal with which the sword could change into. Afterall it's a physical change and 'transmute' is a physical change.

If the PC pushed me I'd make him roll saves each time he hit a DR/- as the weapon freaks out in a "DOES NOT COMPUTE" type fashion... but only in the case of a super annoying player who won't take no for an answer.

Firechanter
2015-03-25, 04:01 PM
FYI, Transmuting isn't worth it.
Even if you don't optimize your damage output to make DR irrelevant, it's actually cheaper to stack individual options to overcome all kinds of DR.

Azrael9986
2015-03-25, 06:04 PM
Unless your DM is fond of using creatures with the 30+ different materials to overcome the DR. Also being able to beat Epic damage resist in a nonepic game is pretty OP.

bjoern
2015-03-25, 06:37 PM
Unless your DM is fond of using creatures with the 30+ different materials to overcome the DR. Also being able to beat Epic damage resist in a nonepic game is pretty OP.

Ummm. DR/EPIC doesn't exist in a non epic game ....by definition right.
Like encountering a wizard in a no magic setting.

atemu1234
2015-03-25, 06:48 PM
Ummm. DR/EPIC doesn't exist in a non epic game ....by definition right.
Like encountering a wizard in a no magic setting.

Nonepic is simply in levels pre-epic. It can refer to either A) A game where epic levels do not exist or B) A game where the players may go into epic levels, but have not yet reached it.

Azrael9986
2015-03-25, 06:59 PM
o-o Yuh still it also means you don't have to make a weapon +6 just to get by epic. you can keep it +1(+5 with buff) then add all sorts of abilities. pack it with useful stuff and be amazing lol.