PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5e] Can the Warforged do craft skills more efficiently?

Kurikaktus
2015-03-25, 12:06 AM
[Edit] I'm new and I dont know how to put the title in bold sorry.

Hi, I've been reading up on Races of Eberron and I read the section about the Warforged. My main concern is, is a warforged more efficient in crafting than organics? A few key points is a warfoged doesn't need to sleep, eat or rest. I could also argue that they can attach crafting tools directly on their limbs to be more efficient and possibly do things the flesh cannot(ex hold hot iron). Other key points, I'll just have to quote, taken from the Races of Eberron.

Some people spit on him as they passed, calling him a job stealer. Watcher could do the jobs of two or three humans, so the hostility made sense, but he had to work somewhere to pay off his debt for the repairs done on him when he arrived in the city.
Basically a warforged can do the work of 2 or 3 people

Warforged never tire and rarely allow themselves to grow bored. Their lack of need to sleep, eat, or fear the passage of time gives them almost unending patience. Yet a hard life as constant soldiers has accustomed them to endless toil, and any long period of inactivity tends to make them anxious. A warforged without a specific task to complete or one forced to wait to complete the task at hand usually creates a new task for himself, a hobby of sorts that gives his mind or body something to do.
A warforged also always requires an activity to do

In order to make gold out of a certain craft skill the formula is
(Craft Check/2) per week of work in gold

In order to define the time it takes to craft an item its

Craft Check x DC >= Item Price in Silver. If its twice or thrice as high, The item is crafted half or a third of the time

Assuming there are 24 hours in a day, an organic being must sleep at least 8 hours or risk being fatigued the next day. That being must also eat and rest or else he wont be able to work properly. Lets say thats 3 hours for breakfast, lunch and dinner including rest. So the hours left to work in a day is 24 - 8 - 3 which leaves 13 hours of work.

Looking at the previous formula, it is assumed that 13 hours of work was used per day.
(Craft Check/2)
Craft Check x DC

Lets add a variable WD where it represents work done in a day which is 13 hours of work.
(Craft Check/2) x WD
(Craft Check x DC) x WD

Normally it would look like this
(Craft Check/2) x 1
(Craft Check x DC) x 1

A normal crafter can work 13 hours in a day. A warforged on the other hand can work 24 hours straight. I could get these ratios
(Organic being)13:1 where 1 is the normal work done
(Warforged)24:1.8461538461538

Its also said that the warforged can do the work of 2 or 3 people so that 1.8461538461538 can be multiplied by 2 or 3 but for this case lets make it 2. This will result in 3.6923076923076.

I wonder then if this will be legit

(Craft Check/2) x 3.6923076923076
(Craft Check x DC) x 3.6923076923076

We could just round down after computing the gold/result or turn the decimals into silver or copper.

What do you guys think? I haven't brought this up to our DM yet but he's known to be more flexible with the rules as long as you have the backstory to support it.

DrMotives
2015-03-25, 12:24 AM
I'd think the "work of 2 to 3 people" is because the workday for organics would be 8 to 12 hours, so a warforged could go 2 to 3 times that long in a day. In that case, allow them to not work better, just if time allows have them go faster, making craft checks 2 to 3 times per week.

jiriku
2015-03-25, 12:34 AM
Generally, the Craft skill assumes an 8-hour workday. A warforged who works constantly without stopping could reasonably craft at triple the normal rate. The craft rules are generally slow and clunky, triple speed is no threat to game balance. Even at triple speed, it will often be a better use of your time to just go adventuring and then buy stuff at full price with the loot from your adventure.

Note that this does not apply to enchanting magic items or scribing and copying spells. For those tasks, the number of hours you can commit is generally throttled at no more than 8 hours per day and no more than 1,000 gp of value per day. A warforged wizard can't craft magic items any faster than a human mage.

Kurikaktus
2015-03-25, 12:46 AM
Generally, the Craft skill assumes an 8-hour workday. A warforged who works constantly without stopping could reasonably craft at triple the normal rate.

So...this is viable? Assuming that the warforged works three 8hr shifts equating to 24hrs total

(Craft Check/2) x 3
(Craft Check x DC) x 3

This would strictly be for creating weapons or non-magic items

jiriku
2015-03-25, 01:10 AM
I'd allow it. As a DM, I love to see a player optimizing a weak and under-used rule component to redeem it and make it interesting. That's much less of a headache for the DM than having a player optimizing his way into, say, having AC and saves that are 20 points higher than everyone else in the party.

Kurikaktus
2015-03-25, 03:04 AM
I wonder though if there could be other factors aside from taking 3 shifts of 8 hours. One would be attaching (similar to the blade arm component) the crafting tools to the warforged's body making it easier to craft or that the warforged is immune to exhaustion so I can pound iron continuously (as a blacksmith) as compared to a human.

Edit: Or even hold the hot or semi hot iron by hand...and withstand the fumes that come from smelting metal since it doesnt need to breath.

All these are debatable though since there are no numeric representations as compared to the previous statements

atemu1234
2015-03-25, 10:07 AM
I wonder though if there could be other factors aside from taking 3 shifts of 8 hours. One would be attaching (similar to the blade arm component) the crafting tools to the warforged's body making it easier to craft or that the warforged is immune to exhaustion so I can pound iron continuously (as a blacksmith) as compared to a human.

Edit: Or even hold the hot or semi hot iron by hand...and withstand the fumes that come from smelting metal since it doesnt need to breath.

All these are debatable though since there are no numeric representations as compared to the previous statements

Heat Metal is comparable.

Fouredged Sword
2015-03-25, 10:28 AM

Well, one could have a masterwork tool built into the warforged, maybe also enchanted to offer a bonus to craft skills, offering anywhere from +2 to +yes to the check. An eternal wand of magecraft in a wand bracer could supply a constant +8 to crafting for the needed 3 checks a day for 24hour a day work. You could also have an unsleeping clockwork familiar who can aid other with your own ranks in craft, adding another +2

And remember, you can add 20 to the DC of the check to speed production. With 9 ranks, a +5 int mod (+2 headband), masterwork tools, a +4 item, a wand of magecraft, and a familiar, and taking 10, you are looking at a craft check around 38. This lets you make items with a 18DC at speed (adding 20 to the DC) and produce... just about 400gp of stuff in a week, spending 133gp on raw materials.

A wizard spaming unseen crafter is likely to see better results, but nothing says you can't do both.

Kurikaktus
2015-03-28, 01:28 AM
Wouldnt a normal human with masterwork tools have the same bonus as well? Wonder if there are possible agreeable multipliers to the craft calculation other than multiplying it by 3 since the warforged is working 3 8hr shifts. Like i wonder if his nonFleshBag body can exert more force over time consistently as compared to a human body which would take maybe a minute or two of rest after a series of pounding with a blacksmith's hammer while withstanding fumes from the forge.