PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Drake Companions and Progression - Book of Drakes

cfloyd18
2015-03-25, 05:59 AM
Hello! I'm pretty new to D&D but have been GM'n a game for several of my guys that I work with and my wife for the last few months. My wife is a Ranger and just got her 4th level and thus is allowed a companion. I talked with her and started to set her up with a Leopard, however I know she asked if a Dragon was possible when we first started (she's obsessed with them!). I didn't think so, but I stumbled upon others talking about Pseudodragons, which in turn led me to the Book of Drakes by Kobold Quarterly. Reading through everything, I'm getting a little confused so let me break this down into a few specific questions.

1) CAN she acquire it as a companion. I'm looking at the Drake Companion Feats. One says "Companion Friend - You've become adept at working with willful companions; Prerequisite: Companion Creature or familiar class feature." The "willful companions" portions is what is giving me a slight worry since another feat is "Willful Companion Drake - You gain a companion drake, though it doesn't regard you as its master.; Prerequisite: Charisma 13, Character level 5th." Does she have to do the Willful Companion feat first before the Companion Friend? Is so, she's screwed since her CH = 9! I might allow a re-allotment since everyone is new and they can figure out the best way to really put their points by now (discover their "true" self I guess)

2) IF we can figure this out, I'm curious HOW they truly advance. I'm looking at a Medium Drake (CR2). The RAW state - "CR2 does not start off with any character levels, and gains its first class level when other characters would reach 2nd level. Such a creature then gains two levels when it would reach its third class level, though it should gain only one level's worth of hit points" As I read this, and the Bestiary, I get the sense that the Drakes also need to be associated with a Class. In this case, I think a Fighter would work well for the group (opposite the Ranger). So it would start off with normal CR2 stats, but no class benefits. After it gains enough XP to level up 2nd level, THAT is when it would acquire the "+4, +4, +2, +2, +0, and –2 adjustments to their ability scores" as per the Bestiary? Also, it will take 2 more CLASS levels when it reaches level 3 (though only a single HD equal to their HD (d12) or Class Level Die (d10) ) Is this correct? Or would I just progress it from the straight CR table which is provided -they also max its CR level at 14 with the idea that it should never be on par with a true dragon.

3) Does a drake increase in size? I see the companions increase in size at level 4 small -> medium, or 7 medium -> large. Also the bestiary talks about if the HD increase by 50% or more should also increase in size (GM discretion depending on creature.) I was thinking of having it age slightly to just grow from Small to Medium (like a cat companion). Is this viable or will they always stay the same size? Can't seem to find too many definitive answers. They don't age like true dragons (even a mention most have a shorter life span then humans)

I don't want to make things completely easy/OP for my group if all these things require many Houserules to achieve. Maybe a little playroom but don't want to break the game. Thanks in advance and apologize for the long post!

Dysart
2015-03-25, 06:23 AM
Well the easiest option for you would be to use the exact same stats as the cat and modify them slightly.

Make it so it doesn't get to fly until she is level 8 (should be fair) and doesn't get to large size until level 12, when it would gain pounce give it a low strength breat weapon.

When it comes to fun the rules are a guideline and as long as the companion isn't crazy powerful it should be fine.

Though someone else might be able to provide a better set of rules to follow as long as you swap abilities/attributes like for like it should be an issue to give her a dragon-like creature as a companion as long as it's not some huge flying monster which makes the rest of the party feel useless.... atleast until level 20!

cfloyd18
2015-03-25, 06:42 AM
The initial building part is pretty cool actually. It has base set ups for each size (CR1 = Tiny, CR2 = Small, etc.) up to Large. They have hteir AC/ HP/Weapons/etc all set up. Also, they get a specific amount of "Feature Points". 5 points for a Tiny dragon, 10 for small, and 10 for any HD higher than their starting HD for that size (ie: a CR 8 = 9 HD, A medium Drake = 4HD, thus the difference is 5 HD x 10 points = 50 Feature Points to spend). These points are to buy abilities for that dragon... add extra power to attack, breath, flight, senses (blind,stone, tremble, etc.), or even to adjust. You can make your own dragon w/o wing and thus GAIN 5 points (due to loss of wings) to spend anywhere you want as well as and extra 3+ points if you don't/can't have any wing attack. You can create a burrowing dragon that spits sand! Either way, curious about the progression. The other aspect/trouble is a drake is not a mere companion. They have an Intelligence of 11 (smarter than a few in the group!) So, the books says diplomacy and intimidation need/should be used (As well as bribery).

cfloyd18
2015-03-25, 10:23 PM
Curious... anyone else have any more to add? Anyone play/use the Book of Drakes?