PDA

View Full Version : 5e any luck with a dbz style monk yet?

Jlooney
2015-03-25, 09:10 AM
The title says it all. I think this edition can do it and I'm sitting down to try my hand at it. If anyone else has already started please feel free to help me out with what you have and see if we can't do something about it.

BRKNdevil
2015-03-25, 12:26 PM
if we want dbz anything, then we would need to rebalance the game, because i think goku in dragonball was probably stronger then most wizards

Jlooney
2015-03-25, 12:29 PM
Lol yea. I'm not talking goku or vegeta. I'm talking more like krillin or Yamcha. The Sayian blood is what made them strong. They had that unique ability to double in power if they almost died.

As it is I've got a lot of the abilities down and I'm writing them up now. I'll post more later. I have a job interview in an hour.

Amnoriath
2015-03-25, 01:58 PM
The title says it all. I think this edition can do it and I'm sitting down to try my hand at it. If anyone else has already started please feel free to help me out with what you have and see if we can't do something about it.

For the basic iconic DBZ stuff really isn't all that hard. 1 ki point to make a ranged attack with your fist attack(radiant damage), a rage like ability using temporary hit points instead the normal resistance(because they absorb all sorts of damage not just weapons). A rehashing of the Half-Orc diehard trait. A larger area of effect of the ranged fist attack used as an action. Then to top it all off with permanent flight equal to your land speed and maybe spend ki to add bonuses to either physical saves or ability checks during your rage like ability.

Submortimer
2015-03-25, 04:22 PM
I had an idea to make a conversion of the Rage Mage PrC into a Warlock Patron. That'd fit the bill: Raging, Laser-beams from your hands, ability to fly. The only thing you're missing is being able to punch stuff, and a couple levels of monk can fix that.

Kerleth
2015-03-26, 12:47 PM
Lol, this is a neat coincidence. I was just thinking about a monk/cleric(light) build to accomplish this last night. I like finding niche characters to make, so the basic idea was to use the blasty powers of a light cleric to represent ki blasts. Warding Flare can be that blinding attack that was used once or twice. The radiant damage attack cantrip is your basic ki blast. Mechanically you can fight in melee or ranged, have a good armor class and have not much MAD, focusing on dexterity and wisdom, with a splash of constitution.

Wartex1
2015-03-26, 01:14 PM
Making a "Way of the Laser Fist" shouldn't be too hard.