PDA

View Full Version : Little help with character concept

The J Pizzel
2015-03-25, 09:30 AM
Another DM is picking up my game cause I don't have time to build a house and DM at the same time. He's using HotDQ as a back drop (pick up at episode 4), but he'll be putting a lot of original content in it. I know the first story arch is going to be in a city and involve lots of intrigue. I have two character concepts I'm fleshing out and he loves both and says they'll both work fine...so off to the play ground to help me decide! We'll be level 4 when he takes over.

Group is:
blaster sorcerer
great weapon barbarian (insane dps and tank)
monk (pretty darn good dps)
rogue 2/cleric 1+ (fun character. will continue as cleric of death. only played one session with cleric level and already a good healer)
vengeance pally (tanky with some dps)

As you can see, we've got tank and melee dps covered. No real skill monkey or party face (except for sorcerer) and little to no utility casting.

First concept:
A librarian shut-in that the party will go visit and will get to know. I'll then get accidentally wrapped up in the intrigue and join the party. The fun part of this idea is that he's never adventured or been in much combat. So his spell selection would be all about fun utility spells (which the party greatly needs) and his spell selection would grow to include combat-oriented stuff as he grows as an adventurer. Wizard with a fun school like Diviner, Transmuter, or Conjurer fits this pretty well, or Lore Bard for obvious reasons.

Second Concept:
Harper Spy/Agent who posses as a traveling minstrel. My DM loves the Harpers. This would obviously fall into Bard, but I'm not sure if I'd go Valor or Lore, ranged or melee, combat spells or fun save-or-suck and utility spells, etc.

Other character concepts I've had:
War-Chanter: a half-elf valor bard. He was raised by the elves, but then shunned his human heritage and demoted him to being simply a camp follower. He follow the armies singing Elven war songs and has learned to mix his music with magic and weapons. He'd carry a djembe type drum slung on his shoulder and resting at his hip like an old colonial snare drummer and bang it with the haft of a melee wooded weapon. Party-wise, this char could be fun, but really not needed in the group at all.

Nature Pally: a half-elf Oath of the Ancients Pally. Similarly, he was raised by the elves, but they shunned his human heritage and wouldn't let him join army at all. His dad, a leader in the elven armies, would secretly bring into the woods and train him. He found magic in nature and became a champion of life, beauty, purity and all the things that pertain to nature. Party-wise, this character is definitely not needed.

DanyBallon
2015-03-25, 09:45 AM
Storywise I really like the idea of a "shop wizard" that got cought into adventuring with the party. Divination would be a great specialization school flavorwise. Too bad there ain't universalist wizards anymore...

EvanescentHero
2015-03-25, 09:56 AM
I also really like the first idea. A bard or wizard who always has a book in one hand and a staff or sword in the other, with spells that make sense for their chosen profession rather than combat usage. Sounds like an interesting concept!

ChubbyRain
2015-03-25, 11:11 AM
Librarian concept...

But go Land Druid, you are chronically the ages and want a true history of the world. You can still be a conjurer, and not a bad one mind you, but you have great battle field control spells. Your party is primarily attack focused, if you come in with a land druid you can lay down some sweet BC spells that will help them out.

Plus forest library guarded by bears and tigers and stuff...

Plus goodberry...

Plus wildshape for utility...

Water Genasi (Sage or Outlander) Land Druid (Pick circle spell progression you like, I'm always fond of mountain, coast, and desert). You are just a librarian that got caught up in all this.