PDA

View Full Version : Outbreak Undead- Played with a Sandbox style

pife
2015-03-25, 09:55 AM
I have been tinkering with the idea of running a game of Outbreak Undead on the boards. For those of you familiar with the game, what are your thoughts on tweaks, changes or things to be aware of when running it here?

I'm thinking about making it a sandboxy kind of game, where individual players (there will only be about four) can either work together as a traditional party, or they can each operate as individuals. Of supreme importance, of course would be securing a stronghold, and developing it's defenses. Players would scavenge for food/equipment, attract survivors, raid against/trade with other strongholds (some of which might be PC run), become or fight vigilantes and take what they want or act as benevolent warlords, building a survivable, inclusive, post-apocalypse "kingdom".

Players would be taking their PC's and/or other Survivors that they have gathered on scouting/scavenging/war parties. For those who like to investigate, there will be clues that will eventually show how the outbreak was started, why, and potentially, how to stop/mitigate/survive it.

I already know that I would want to tinker with the Risk and Vehicle rules (those trailing zombie rolls are BRUTAL, lol). I would be keeping track of each PC run stronghold separately (in a different thread). (If all of the players stick together this isn't an issue, but I can see several wanting to become 'warlords' in their own right. I have even tinkered with the idea of having a player act as a zombie overlord- A sentient zombie, not in "control" of the entire outbreak, but able to exert control of a variable number of zombies. Their mission would be to make sure that their minions feed! Depending on the backstory for the character, the zombie overlord would also have other priorities, other goals. (Inspiration from this comes from the character Ink in the audio podcast 'We're Alive', which I recommend to anyone who enjoys the genre).

Anyway, was just hoping for a discussion about best practices to run this type of game, ideas, warnings, general thoughts, that kind of thing.

Thanks!