PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Damage scaling for a martial discipline that doesn't use weapons

Nyaa
2015-03-25, 10:20 AM
Just as the title says. I couldn't find any discipline that already does it, and few maneuvers from Elemental Flux are just InitiatorLevel*d6, plus a rider effect. I tried to calculate average DPR of mildly optimized archer and blaster (see image), and numbers tell me that level 5 full-round single target ranged maneuver should deal about 23d6 damage (average 80), and level 9 one - 60d6 (average 210). Burst AoEs are about 75% of that.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B5fttZ3EUghATENnUENmNGlmZzQ

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-03-26, 12:47 PM
Just as the title says. I couldn't find any discipline that already does it, and few maneuvers from Elemental Flux are just InitiatorLevel*d6, plus a rider effect. I tried to calculate average DPR of mildly optimized archer and blaster (see image), and numbers tell me that level 5 full-round single target ranged maneuver should deal about 23d6 damage (average 80), and level 9 one - 60d6 (average 210). Burst AoEs are about 75% of that.

You can figure this out pretty easily by looking through the Tome of Battle and calculating average weapon damage. For example:

Level 1 Maneuvers
Burning Blade: 1d6+1 fire damage.
Sapphire Nightmare Blade: Opponent is flat-footed, possible damage boost of +1d6.

This means our level 1 damage is between normal weapon damage (so around 1d8+3 or 2d6+4 for your average Str 16 character) and normal weapon damage + about 4. Most maneuvers at this level seem to increase the reliability of hits rather than raw damage.

I'd aim for about 2-3d6 damage for level 1 weaponless maneuvers, depending on other features and on whether or not a modifier is added. 2d6 + modifier + effect equals a greatsword, and 3d6 is roughly on par (on average) with a greatsword + modifier swing.

I'd just go through the Tome of Battle and pull the damage values, and then compare them to both 1d8 + estimated enchantment bonus + estimated Strength modifier and 2d6 + estimated enchantment bonus + 1.5x estimated Strength modifier. Maybe consider taking on an extra die or two or three of damage in the mid-late levels to account for things like Power Attack, weapon enchantments, and feat bonuses.