PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Need help with Archaeologist Build for Pathfinder

RussianRoulette
2015-03-25, 10:23 AM
​Hey all,

I'm relatively rusty in pathfinder, but I'm starting a campaign soon and I'm running a Kitsune (+2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 St) with the Archaeologist archetype. I swapped out a bite attack for free level 1 weapon finesse feat.

Here are the basics: [16][15][13][11][12][10], LvL 3, no dipping classes. I want a rapier, for fluff reasons. I want enchantment spells to take advantage of the Kitsune magic +1 DC (enchantment).

The question becomes, what is more valuable for this build: pumping up the rapier damage with enchanting spells supporting, or pumping enchantment with rapier as a last option. Luck seems to stack better with physical attacks, but Kitsune magic gives good synergy between Charisma skills and charms, especially if I pump a couple feats into spell focus [enchantment].

I will be functioning as the knowledge monkey for the group, and also the main trapfinder/magic detector. I would really like to steer the build towards crowd control of enemies through enchantment, with an agile, keen rapier as backup.f A few extra notes: the DM has ruled that Luck is calculated as Cha + 1/LVL, and that Disable Device is a class skill.

Here's the sheet with what I have so far:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=125262

Any feedback would be really appreciated!

Geddy2112
2015-03-25, 11:24 AM
Solid concept, and decent build overall. I take it you still have to add in the armor, weapon etc?

If you try to make both enchantment and fighting viable, neither will be good. You need to pick one to use as a primary and then one as a backup. I would probably stick to magic-bards get some really good enchantment spells and with both the focuses you can really stick the spells. If you are going the rapier route, swap your wis and strength scores. Bard's have decent will saves already, but -1 damage is going to hurt a LOT. You also have no con bonus and no toughness, so you are going to get squished fast in combat. Keep your rapier as a backup, but you should be casting and supporting first, fighting only when you absolutely must. Consider grabbing a whip, it fits the archaeologist Indiana Jones style(if that fits your fluff) and you can use it to make combat maneuvers at range.

Regarding the naturalized trait, unless your setting is one where Kitsune are next to unheard of, or hated for some reason and attacked on sight, I would drop it. You get a +10 to disguise when you are in human form, and with your cha bonus a +14 is going to pass against most casual observation. Even if people notice, your diplomacy and bluff are pretty good so you could play it off. I would take agile, or swap it for affable/eidetic.

Thinking about it, I would make your wis 10 regardless-all you are getting is a +1 to will saves, perception and sense motive. Will is your best save, and perception/sense motive are class skills-you are better off doing damage when you have to fight, or having more HP, or maybe 13 in intelligence so you can pop it to 14 at level 4.

Since you want to be a knowledge monkey, put 1 rank in every knowledge before you put extra ranks in some so you can get the +3 class skill bonus. Also consider some ranks in intimidate so you have the hat trick of social skills.

For spells, take daze over sift. At level 3 it is still useful, and it is an enchantment so you get your bonus. You can forget it next time you level for another cantrip.

RussianRoulette
2015-03-25, 11:59 AM
That's correct- no armor or weapons yet. And I agree 100% trying to stay away from a rapier build, I just wanted to synergize with Luck.

Speaking of: Archaeologist’s luck is treated as bardic performance for the purposes of feats, abilities, effects, and the like that affect bardic performance, so actually does work with lingering performance. Whether or not that feat is WORTH taking if I'm casting is a whole other question.

Sound advice on the Wisdom, Int, and Str swaps. I've made them. I'll likely put my next increase in Dex for the 18. Increase after that I can bump up Int.

In this case I tried to focus on the skills that reflect what the campaign will be (think archaeological expedition to the north- pseudo 'golden compass'). I also haven't added any to areas where other members of the group will likely surpass me (Nature, Geography, Religion)

Maybe I'm missing something: does sift lose effectiveness as I rank up? It seems like a good choice for an archaeologist.

Are my level 1 Charm spells good choices? What are some good scaling charms I should be working towards.

Geddy2112
2015-03-25, 12:26 PM
I would keep lingering performance, that +1(eventually +2 etc) applies to a lot and with lingering performance, you can turn it on for one round and get three rounds of bonus. If you cycle it, you can probably have it active during every round of combat in a day and have a couple uses left over for various skill checks.

Respect on taking knowledge that fit the setting, but also be wary on having a single player being the only one with a knowledge(murphy's law invites natural 1's here). You might not be the best at it, but it always helps to have a second roll.

Sift is actually a terrible spell, worse than normal perception. You take a -5, but if you just rolled perception 30 ft away you could take a perception check with +3 difficulty. It is very situational, for when you need to touch something but you don't want to touch it, otherwise just use perception.

Your level 1 spells are good, comprehend languages is not great but useful if you don't have a polyglot or other caster who can prepare it. Hideous laughter is a fantastic 1st level enchantment that ages well, might be a good swap for sleep or an add in. Unnatural lust is both amazing and hilarious. Memory lapse is useful outside of combat. Silent image is not an enchantment, but I would take it eventually for utility.

At level 2, calm emotions has a fair amount of utility. Get confusion when you can get 3rd level spells-between it and haste you will be ending encounters left and right.

Dysart
2015-03-25, 12:48 PM
That's correct- no armor or weapons yet. And I agree 100% trying to stay away from a rapier build, I just wanted to synergize with Luck.

Speaking of: Archaeologist’s luck is treated as bardic performance for the purposes of feats, abilities, effects, and the like that affect bardic performance, so actually does work with lingering performance. Whether or not that feat is WORTH taking if I'm casting is a whole other question.

Sound advice on the Wisdom, Int, and Str swaps. I've made them. I'll likely put my next increase in Dex for the 18. Increase after that I can bump up Int.

In this case I tried to focus on the skills that reflect what the campaign will be (think archaeological expedition to the north- pseudo 'golden compass'). I also haven't added any to areas where other members of the group will likely surpass me (Nature, Geography, Religion)

Maybe I'm missing something: does sift lose effectiveness as I rank up? It seems like a good choice for an archaeologist.

Are my level 1 Charm spells good choices? What are some good scaling charms I should be working towards.

Sift is good fun, but Daze will work as an actual offensive spell you can cast every turn without fail.

Sift for fluff, Daze for effectiveness.

RussianRoulette
2015-03-25, 12:58 PM
Thank you both - this is incredibly helpful.

You mentioned swapping out sleep. Maybe I'm missing something since I haven't played in so long, but sleeping enemies (especially enemies in a small group) seems pretty good. Is there a reason it suffers that I'm missing?

Any insight into feats?

I still have one to burn for this level 3 build. With these enchantments you've both suggested, Spell Focus again seems like a strong contestant.

Dysart
2015-03-25, 01:58 PM
Thank you both - this is incredibly helpful.

You mentioned swapping out sleep. Maybe I'm missing something since I haven't played in so long, but sleeping enemies (especially enemies in a small group) seems pretty good. Is there a reason it suffers that I'm missing?

Any insight into feats?

I still have one to burn for this level 3 build. With these enchantments you've both suggested, Spell Focus again seems like a strong contestant.

Sleep will only work on up to 4HD monsters which at level 3 may be a little rarer and at level 4 are even more rare.

Spell Focus is a great choice.

stack
2015-03-25, 02:40 PM
There is a trait that boosts luck bonuses by 1, fortune's favorite, I believe.

RussianRoulette
2015-03-25, 02:48 PM
Yep: Fate's Favored:Whenever you are under the effect of a luck bonus of any kind, that bonus increases by 1.

Snagged it!

Are there any traits that give bonuses to enchantment?

Eldonauran
2015-03-25, 05:35 PM
I'm running an Archaeologist in the Carrion Crown campaign.

I highly recommend Lingering Performance. I took it as my 3rd level feat (my DM didn't alter the # of times per day I could use Luck, so its necessary).

If you are taking Fate's Favored, you could look at the "Bonded Item" feat from Hero's of the Jade Oath. Need Feng Shiu or know religion 1 rank, and you can get a luck bonus towards the use of the bonded item. Weapon gets +1 to hit, armor/shield gets +1 to AC, tool gets +1 to skill used. With Fate's Favored, that's an easy +2 to your choice. I took the armor since the Luck class feature already boosts attack, saves, damage and skill checks (wont stack).