PDA

View Full Version : twin firebolt

Grand Warchief
2015-03-25, 12:02 PM
As the title suggests...can you twin a firebolt/ Eldrich Blast/ etc.? RAW would suggest you can since twin says it must target a single creature and can't be range self, both criteria are met. Each attack of firebolt targets only a single creature and has a range other than self. I would think you can but not sure.

For reference:

T w i n n e d Sp e ll
W hen you cast a spell that targets only one creature and doesn’t have a range of self, you can spend a number of sorcery points equal to the spell’s level to target a second creature in range with the sam e spell (1 sorcery point if the spell is a cantrip).

SharkForce
2015-03-25, 01:33 PM
yes, twin firebolt is a thing.

Daishain
2015-03-25, 01:39 PM
Pretty much the only point of contention is whether or not you could twin EB if the extra bolts were willfully constrained to a single target.

Safety Sword
2015-03-25, 04:51 PM
Pretty much the only point of contention is whether or not you could twin EB if the extra bolts were willfully constrained to a single target.

I think you could consider each bolt as having a separate target, even if that target is the same creature as the last bolt went at. Each bolt is targeted individually.

Edit: What I'm trying to say is that EB can target multiple creatures, so it can't be twinned. The rule doesn't care if you don't target multiple creatures, only that you can.

calebrus
2015-03-25, 05:06 PM
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/12/11/twinned-spell-2/

-- Anonymous @ApocalypticTwit
Twinned Spell: Does it need a spell that is targeting 1 creature, or a spell that CAN ONLY target 1 creature?
-- Jeremy Crawford @JeremyECrawford
Twinned Spell is intended to work with a spell that can normally target only one creature.

Rules lawyers try to maintain that the wording allows for anything which only initially targets one creature, and spells which have the ability to target more than one creature, but the caster elects to only target one.
Neither of these cleverly twisted interpretations were intended.
The intention is quite clear, and was quite clear even before Crawford commented on it. The intention has always been crystal clear. It only works on spells that can target a single creature. If the spell inherently has the ability to target more than one creature (at any time.... I'm looking at you, chain lightning) then that spell cannot be Twinned.

In previous editions, it would have required a single target spell for Twinned Spell. But single target spells (as a game term) don't exist in 5e, so the way it was worded left the door open for rules lawyers to try and get creative.