PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Fear-Tactics Rogue Optimization, FOR FUN, Need Help

5w337x7007h
2015-03-25, 02:03 PM
I was reading up odd races to play, and I thought, "Why not make a bugbear rogue." The tactics of a Bugbear literally scream Spring Attack mixed with brutality.

Tactics:

Before Combat Bugbears slink in shadow and behind closed doors. They revel in the look of terror on a foe’s face when they suddenly loom from the darkness, often with some horrible trophy in hand.

During Combat Bugbears do not enjoy protracted fighting and seek to down a foe and slip away as quickly and quietly as possible. They favor hit-and-run tactics when the situation allows, striking at the most vulnerable point or member of a group.

Morale A bugbear is not foolish enough to fight to the death, as that would preclude it from menacing others at a later date. It usually flees if reduced to 5 hit points.

My idea is to build on that, working with spring attack, stealth, intimidation, and overall ambush tactics. I'll sneak in and kill off the weakest and work from there. Probably have some grappling hooks and measured out rope for slip knots, to hang trophies with. Slowly turn the place into a meat locker, or a slasher flick. He's not EVIL per se, but he's generally inclined towards his instincts and a love for hearing screams, and visages of terror on his would-be victims.

Several questions pop into my head,
What are the racial stat adjustments for a PC Bugbear?
Would a Bugbear ever merc for a group of goody-goodies?
How would a build work, considering bugbears are CR2 and the HD is 3d8 on the stat block?
Is there a DM that would even allow such a character?

I'm looking to balance the character so that if I'm allowed to play with it, It'll be a little stronger, physically, but not so much that it ruins the fun for everyone else.

5w337x7007h
2015-03-25, 04:42 PM
Also, if anyone could kindly help me on information about spiked chains and reach, would be greatly appreciated. I remember 3.5 having reach, but Pathfinder excluded it; Was this an intentional, or accidental exclusion?

Nevermind, I figured out that they nerfed it because the spiked chain can be rather OP especially with Reach.
I was looking at it for flavor anyways.
The super stealthy bugbear hangs in the rafter waiting for the party to pass and snags the guy in back quickly and quietly strangling him as he lifts the poor fellow up and out of sight. I mean, one quick grab and up they go, the spikes sinking right into their throat, blocking the airway to stifle any screams and the element of surprise.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-25, 04:49 PM
Also, if anyone could kindly help me on information about spiked chains and reach, would be greatly appreciated. I remember 3.5 having reach, but Pathfinder excluded it; Was this an intentional, or accidental exclusion?

They took it away, and it makes me sad to this day.

Also ya 3 monstrous humanoid HD kinda hurt, they arent the worst HD but they are bad. Also the CR 2 thing seems like they are similar to what they were in 3.5, 3 RHD and +1 LA. Stat wise, id go with their 3.5 version as the 2 are very similar. +4 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Cha, +3 Nat Armor, Scent and +4 Move silently. Oh and darkvision 60ft.

Edit: As to a DM allowing this character, i dont see why not, i mean you gotta swallow 3 RHD for some meh abilities.

5w337x7007h
2015-03-25, 04:55 PM
Well it's mainly a flavor design, booning off making the enemies shaken or frightened. From there, they scatter and he picks them off one by one, silently, or making noise to draw others in for a baited trap. Severely wound an enemy and let it cry out, or kill it and use ghost sound to trick others into thinking it's still alive.

Yanisa
2015-03-25, 04:58 PM
They took it away, and it makes me sad to this day.

Also ya 3 monstrous humanoid HD kinda hurt, they arent the worst HD but they are bad. Also the CR 2 thing seems like they are similar to what they were in 3.5, 3 RHD and +1 LA. Stat wise, id go with their 3.5 version as the 2 are very similar. +4 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Cha, +3 Nat Armor, Scent and +4 Move silently. Oh and darkvision 60ft.

Edit: As to a DM allowing this character, i dont see why not, i mean you gotta swallow 3 RHD for some meh abilities.

In Pathfinder RHD are free, but the CR becomes the LA (link (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races)). So in a level 3 party, a bugbear has 2 CR/LA + 1 class level for a total of 4 Hit Dies. Still, that is not overpowered, especially not on a Rogue, but it does stand out at early levels.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-25, 04:59 PM
Well it's mainly a flavor design, booning off making the enemies shaken or frightened. From there, they scatter and he picks them off one by one, silently, or making noise to draw others in for a baited trap. Severely wound an enemy and let it cry out, or kill it and use ghost sound to trick others into thinking it's still alive.

So more or less a standard fear build, just with a Bugbear chassis? Should work just get Intimidate to work off of Str and you should be golden.

In Pathfinder RHD are free, but the CR becomes the LA (link (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races)). So in a level 3 party, a bugbear has 2 CR/LA + 1 class level for a total of 4 Hit Dies. Still, that is not overpowered, especially not on a Rogue, but it does stand out at early levels.

Woah. Does he get all the benefits of those HD? because that makes RHD suck SOOOO much less

5w337x7007h
2015-03-25, 05:05 PM
It doesn't need to be bugbear, but the image itself makes it worth it. I could go half-orc and take up chain fighter alt racial trait, and be forced into a different class as well, to bypass the proficiency requirement, or go human and use my bonus feat for the proficiency. I could find a way to make myself look like a bugbear for added effect.

Hang on Everybody, changing the Title!

stack
2015-03-25, 07:43 PM
Well, any fear-based rogue wants the thug archetype to allow making foes frightened instead of shaken, then you should grab the enforcer or cornugan smash feats to save actions on demoralizing. Dazzling display can be a good lead-off move as well, if you can scrounge the feats. There are some damnation feats that would work as well, if you can go that route.

5w337x7007h
2015-03-25, 08:04 PM
Well, any fear-based rogue wants the thug archetype to allow making foes frightened instead of shaken, then you should grab the enforcer or cornugan smash feats to save actions on demoralizing. Dazzling display can be a good lead-off move as well, if you can scrounge the feats. There are some damnation feats that would work as well, if you can go that route.

I don't intend to be in line of sight of the opponent, I want to be that invisible killer that isn't noticed until it's too late. Like batman, who can be completely invisible and still create fear in the hearts of criminals. Which brings me to the limits of the intimidate skill check.

Quoting the Intimidate skill, "You can only threaten an opponent this way if it is within 30 feet and can clearly see and hear you."

stack
2015-03-26, 07:13 AM
I suppose DSP's Dread is not on the table? Not sure what else to say to help. With the feats, but you can intimidate them as you hit them, which works with the sneaky part better than standing up and taunting them.

Necromancy
2015-03-26, 07:52 AM
Convert a 3.5 bugbear. You may not even get a LA at all

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/creating-new-races

Also... This

Pathfinder ruined feint, but this came along

Dazzling display
Shatter defenses

Kinda sucks till you add

Dreadful carnage

Geddy2112
2015-03-26, 09:36 AM
I don't see why this would be banned or disallowed- an intimidation based rogue is nothing compared to any half optimized caster.

I do like the thug archtype, but also consider the rake- you can get intimidate as a free action any time you hit sneak attack. better at lower levels before you can get power attack/coragun smash, which needs 2 feats and minimum level 6.

5w337x7007h
2015-03-26, 10:56 PM
My GM pretty much runs on what's available. If I want to do something fancy, I've gotta pass it by him, and doing that involves having the material on hand.

That said, he's not lenient when it comes to the rules. I couldn't even get an Adamantine Weapon despite being level 10. I've got to save up and even then I have to weight for it. I think he's stuck in the 3.5 era of broken characters and shenanigans.

Necromancy
2015-03-27, 06:33 AM
Just get him a laptop

5w337x7007h
2015-03-27, 07:09 AM
Just get him a laptop

That's another problem, We usually have our sessions at his shop unless otherwise noted. And his shop doesn't have wifi, which limits what we can pull up. Also, my phone is semi-crap. It lags down when I search the net.

That said, I've just had an idea. What about the Hunter or Slayer Hybrid Class?