PDA

View Full Version : Minis

WilsonUndead
2015-03-25, 02:15 PM
Hey everyone, not sure if this is allowed here or not but I would like some opinions on using miniatures.
I'm sure, like myself, there's a few warhammer or other ttwg players here, and I'm looking for you guys.

Question is, I've been converting as many creatures as I can from what I have to save money on my D&D game. I'm having a problem with hobgoblins and gnolls though.

Without buying a bunch of the same reaper figures for these, what existing minis and bitz would be best for converting these?

Thanks. And sorry again if this post doesn't belong here

JAL_1138
2015-03-25, 03:11 PM
If DM'ing...unless things have drastically changed from the AD&D days and I'm just way behind the curve, no one's going to complain if the "minis" are as basic as "the paperclips are goblins, the bottlecap is the black pudding, and the d12 is the bugbear."

Gritmonger
2015-03-25, 04:33 PM
There are quite a few bulk plastic toys you can get - and it would be especially retro as this is how we got the physical description of the rust monster and a few others.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-25, 04:42 PM
There are some fantastic paper cutout minis on this forums somewhere...

Print them out and bend, cheap and awesome minis. I think the monsters were order of the stick style.

I'll look for them and report back if I find them.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-25, 04:46 PM
Google search found this, it has a few options but someone on giantitp has a collection in their signature.

http://tartex.blogspot.com/2009/04/free-paper-miniatures-flat-figures.html?m=1

Ketiara
2015-03-25, 04:57 PM
My DM uses paper cutouts think he designs the cutout himself, from pics off the interwebs. But one thing he does that I think is geniou. His cutouts has two fronts and not a front and a back, he uses a piceditor to reverse/mirror the pic. Then he places the cutout diagonally in the squarebase so we get some frontal view of the monsters wherever we sit around the table, its pretty cool really. And I save time painting minis (I used to do that when I had the time).

WilsonUndead
2015-03-25, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Miniature converting and painting is my big hobby, so I'd like to use actual minis. I have a decent collection so a lot of roles are already filled.
I plan on purchasing DND minis for certain things but I was hoping I could convert all the humanoids.

Zyzzyva
2015-03-25, 06:43 PM
My DM uses paper cutouts think he designs the cutout himself, from pics off the interwebs. But one thing he does that I think is geniou. His cutouts has two fronts and not a front and a back, he uses a piceditor to reverse/mirror the pic. Then he places the cutout diagonally in the squarebase so we get some frontal view of the monsters wherever we sit around the table, its pretty cool really. And I save time painting minis (I used to do that when I had the time).

If you were around for the Kickstarter, that's basically how A Monster For All Seasons works. Except with fun OOTS artwork.

The (Male) Dwarf Druid, who looks exactly as unhinged as you would expect an OOTS dwarf who became a druid to look. :smallbiggrin:

Gritmonger
2015-03-25, 07:31 PM
If you don't mind scaling up... (http://www.amazon.com/TimMee-Legendary-Battle-Fantasy-Figures/dp/B00FQIJEO4/ref=pd_sim_t_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1CM2FD6S2SY4CFPJ32N4)they even have some baddies (http://www.amazon.com/Skeleton-Warrior-Piece-Plastic-Figure/dp/B004DK4FO0/ref=pd_bxgy_t_img_z).

Or just get the bucket that comes with dungeon pieces already! (http://www.amazon.com/Toy-Major-Trading-Mythical-Warrior/dp/B00FB5VHP6/ref=pd_sim_t_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SZM2MT46XQ9BXBJZTPJ)

Galen
2015-03-25, 07:36 PM
If DM'ing...unless things have drastically changed from the AD&D days and I'm just way behind the curve, no one's going to complain if the "minis" are as basic as "the paperclips are goblins, the bottlecap is the black pudding, and the d12 is the bugbear."
Unless the barbarian absent-mindedly rolls the bugbear for his greataxe damage. Such minor accidents tend to ruin many a battle.

JAL_1138
2015-03-25, 08:01 PM
Unless the barbarian absent-mindedly rolls the bugbear for his greataxe damage. Such minor accidents tend to ruin many a battle.

If the barbarian touches my dice, especially one of my Gamesciences, he can kindly leave the table.... *rakes massive hoard of dice into a pile and hunches over it protectively* They're mine. My own. They came to ME! ALL MINE! *hisses*

tarlison
2015-03-25, 10:33 PM
If the barbarian touches my dice, especially one of my Gamesciences, he can kindly leave the table.... *rakes massive hoard of dice into a pile and hunches over it protectively* They're mine. My own. They came to ME! ALL MINE! *hisses*

That's really funny :) in our game we often use only one dice the one we assumed that give better rolls:) it changes by session :)

tarlison
2015-03-25, 10:43 PM
As for miniature I decided to use stick men ala order of the stick :) they are easier to draw :) easier to scale :) got a sample in my signature :)

Mrmox42
2015-03-26, 03:33 AM
You can get a ton of Battle for Skull Pass Night Goblins real cheap on e-bay. Thay make excellent Hobgoblins. I use them as such in my Chaos Dwarf army. (The oldstyle Hobgoblins from decades past are INSANELY expensive - but very nice, if you have the money)

I have seen a guy making Gnolls by taking human bodies and putting Skaven heads on them. If you paint them less rat-ish and more hyena-ish, they come pretty close.

Good luck with the converiosns. It is one of my favorite parts of the game.

WilsonUndead
2015-03-26, 04:53 AM
You can get a ton of Battle for Skull Pass Night Goblins real cheap on e-bay. Thay make excellent Hobgoblins. I use them as such in my Chaos Dwarf army. (The oldstyle Hobgoblins from decades past are INSANELY expensive - but very nice, if you have the money)

I have seen a guy making Gnolls by taking human bodies and putting Skaven heads on them. If you paint them less rat-ish and more hyena-ish, they come pretty close.

Good luck with the converiosns. It is one of my favorite parts of the game.

THAT thank you, I never thought of skaven heads (for some reason lol)
That's perfect.
As for hobgoblins, aren't they like human sized in D&D?
Edit: ooh what about hordes skin walkers or warp wolf something or other? A little large but they look like they could fill the role.
It's a possibility anyways.

Mrmox42
2015-03-26, 09:55 AM
As for hobgoblins, aren't they like human sized in D&D?

Oh yeah, they are. :smallredface:

Sticking Goblin Heads on Chaos Marauder Bodies might be doable.

WilsonUndead
2015-03-26, 10:46 AM
I noticed the picture in the book for hobgoblins, the kind of look like they're wearing samurai style armour. I think ill use marauder bodies for the gnolls and possibly mantics basilean something or other with goblin heads for hobbos.
I'll figure it out but thanks for the ideas I'll be using them!

JFahy
2015-03-26, 10:50 AM
Citadel used to make boxes of plastic beastmen, which would be not-terribly-bad
for gnolls. Of course, last time I was in a GW store it looked like they're charging
the same for plastics that they used to charge for pewter. :smallconfused:

WickerNipple
2015-03-26, 11:33 AM
Reaper's Bones line is pretty brilliant for getting tons of stuff dirt cheap - their newest kickstarter included several different gnoll poses.

But BFSP goblins should work fine for hobgoblins imo. Just paint em orange. I wouldn't personally fret about the scale. If the scale really does worry you the older 6th edition goblin plastics were strangely large, though it might be more of a chore tracking those down on ebay.

JFahy
2015-03-26, 12:14 PM
Agreed, Bones are great. Read a guide before you start painting them, though - they're a little different. You'll probably have some misadventures if you treat them like metals. :smalleek:

Jacob.Tyr
2015-03-26, 12:16 PM
I just use paper minis. If you like the style of OOTS: http://iheartprintandplay.blogspot.co.uk/

Tape a quarter or bottle cap to the bottom to help them stay where you set them.

WilsonUndead
2015-03-26, 12:22 PM
I actually looked through reaper bones line but don't remember seeing gnolls... Have they started selling the kickstarter stuff yet??

JFahy
2015-03-26, 12:38 PM
I actually looked through reaper bones line but don't remember seeing gnolls... Have they started selling the kickstarter stuff yet??

Not the latest batch - just a couple from the first line.
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/gnoll/sku-down/77104
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/gnoll/sku-down/77012