PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Spellcasting homebrew; Druid build help?

Jarmen4u
2015-03-25, 11:53 PM
Hello all, I posted a similar thread to this a short while ago, but I had some false information at that time. I will reiterate my questions now that I know everything for sure.

So basically, I am playing a 3.5 Druid, all Druid class features are 3.5, but the spells all stem from the 1st ed AD&D player handbook. In addition, everything is PHB only, so no variants or offcore books.

The main issue is that I am both new to 3.5 druids, and to 1st ed AD&D in general. Would some super amazing rule masters give me some tips as to how I should be trying to build myself, feat/spell wise, and general build focus? I have a companion that is essentially a wolf, for all intents and purposes. I will also be posting this thread in the AD&D forum, to get some insight from them as well. I will link that thread below.

AD&D Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?405908-Spellcasting-homebrew-Druid-build-help)

eggynack
2015-03-26, 12:09 AM
Well, I gots nothing on the AD&D spell end, but I know all the other stuff. For feats, the most critical thing is that you pick up natural spell at 6th, and beyond that, you probably want augment summoning (assuming that's not hit by the weird spell thing), and improved initiative is always solid. For the animal companion, it depends some on level, but the best option early is a riding dog, eventually generally transitioning to a brown bear later on. For wild shape, when you have medium forms, the best option for combat is likely the deinonychus, and then when you get 8th's, you're opened up to dire bat as an excellent flight form, and you can't go too far off track with a bear, big cat, or dinosaur for combat. Really though, most core druid optimization is about spell selection, as well as taking natural spell, and again, I know approximately nothing about that in this context. If stuff on that end makes druids act all wonky in other respects, I don't know what they are.

Jarmen4u
2015-03-26, 12:48 AM
At the point we're at (3rd level), I have access to spells like predict weather, create water, charm animal, CLW, detect magic, etc. and no summoning spells. I'll probably be taking natural spell at level 6, and for right now I have Improved Initiative and Track as feats (human and 1st level) and need to decide on my 3rd level feat. Like I said, I do have a wolf companion, but will take the other suggestions into account. Any other core feats I'm not thinking of that would be useful at 3rd level?

eggynack
2015-03-26, 01:05 AM
Well, I'm a bit hesitant to suggest casting feats, but extend spell and spell penetration are decent. Also spell focus, to a lesser extent.

Edit: Actually, you might be better off going with a lesser metamagic rod of extend spell if you want to pick up that effect. Not a bad feat by any means, but the rod mostly does the same job both cheaper and more effectively.

Jarmen4u
2015-03-26, 01:13 AM
Well, I'm a bit hesitant to suggest casting feats, but extend spell and spell penetration are decent. Also spell focus, to a lesser extent.

Edit: Actually, you might be better off going with a lesser metamagic rod of extend spell if you want to pick up that effect. Not a bad feat by any means, but the rod mostly does the same job both cheaper and more effectively.

The setting we are in essentially has us stranded on a desert world, so as far as we know, no means of purchasing magical items of any kind. We may encounter civilization at some point, but we're pretty much scrounging around in leather and scrapped together weapons. I would consider a metamagic feat but I don't really know of a specific spell I should focus on, as the early level druid spells don't seem that exciting.

eggynack
2015-03-26, 01:23 AM
I would consider a metamagic feat but I don't really know of a specific spell I should focus on, as the early level druid spells don't seem that exciting.
Yeah, it's definitely a speculative suggestion. The others are more likely to hold up in these strange waters, though it still depends on some factors. You also might be better off avoiding track, incidentally. Wolves are, if not amazing trackers, at least competent in the role.

Crake
2015-03-26, 02:08 AM
Has your DM given you any real reason as to why he wants to run a game using a mix-matched ruleset? It sounds like a recipie for headaches really.

Jarmen4u
2015-03-26, 02:37 AM
Has your DM given you any real reason as to why he wants to run a game using a mix-matched ruleset? It sounds like a recipie for headaches really.

The reasoning is that the DM is probably in his 50's-60's and has been DMing since 1979 or so, therefore he is very partial to the AD&D spellcasting system. As for why the whole game isn't just AD&D, I have no idea.

Jarmen4u
2015-03-27, 03:25 AM
Bumping for great justice.