PDA

View Full Version : AD&D 1st Ed Spellcasting homebrew; Druid build help?

Jarmen4u
2015-03-25, 11:54 PM
Hello all, I posted a similar thread to this a short while ago, but I had some false information at that time. I will reiterate my questions now that I know everything for sure.

So basically, I am playing a 3.5 Druid, all Druid class features are 3.5, but the spells all stem from the 1st ed AD&D player handbook. In addition, everything is PHB only, so no variants or offcore books.

The main issue is that I am both new to 3.5 druids, and to 1st ed AD&D in general. Would some super amazing rule masters give me some tips as to how I should be trying to build myself, feat/spell wise, and general build focus? I have a companion that is essentially a wolf, for all intents and purposes. I will also be posting this thread in the 3.5 forum, to get some insight from them as well. I will link that thread below.

3.5 Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?405907-Spellcasting-homebrew-Druid-build-help)

Thrudd
2015-03-26, 09:37 AM
If I recall, there are only 12-15 Druid spells of each spell level at the lower levels, fewer at high levels, and they only go up to level 7. Get your hands on the phb and read them so you know what is in your tool box.

Druids are divine casters, so you get to choose from all the spells in the book of a level you can cast every day you prepare them. There's really nothing to "build" in that respect, just be familiar with all the spells so you can make good choices according to the situations in the game.

Jarmen4u
2015-03-27, 03:28 AM
I'm not too certain because we have a large group and my DM has to talk over a few people at any given time, but I think he said something along the lines of my druid only being able to know so many spells from the list, as opposed to the whole list (as a divine caster)? Instead of using spells/day, they're also using a custom mana system roughly based off of psionic's pp. I think this basically makes it so I can (hypothetically) cast any spell straight from the list as long as I can afford the mana. Am I reading into the rules right, or do I actually have to choose a few "prepared" spells as a druid?

Lord Torath
2015-03-27, 07:28 AM
By the Book, you pray for spells from the druid list (you're assumed to know all of them available at your level) and select the ones you want each morning. But it sounds like your DM is doing something different. Probably best to follow up with him for the specifics.

johnbragg
2015-03-29, 04:01 PM
Here (http://pandaria.rpgworlds.info/cant/rules/adnd_spells.htm) is someone's website of the 1st edition spell lists.

In normal D&D, (Basic, 1st Edition, 2E, 3.0, 3.5, Pathfinder), Druids are divine casters who select their spells when they pray (or meditate, or whatever) once per day. They can choose any spell from their class' spell list.

Your DM is doing something else involving mana, which has never been a D&D concept for arcane or divine casters.

I'd ask him for a copy of his rules so that you have some idea what you're doing. If he's going to houserule and homebrew to that extent, he owes you a written copy of what you're expected to know in character.

EDIT: Oh, but whatever your DM is doing to your spellcasting, take Natural Spell at 6th level--it lets you cast spells while wildshaped.

EDIT 2: I saw the other thread, and you're looking for a 3rd level feat. Since I have no idea what your DM is doing to your spellcasting, I don't want to recommend a metamagic feat that his homebrew nerfs. I also don't want to recommend a combat feat, because he might disallow it or nerf it after he lets you have it. Ask about the Wild Cohort (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) feat. Basically, you get another animal friend, which is a very Druid thing to do, so I figure an old grognard will approve that.