PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Draconic to the MAX!!!

Azrael9986
2015-03-26, 03:35 AM
My friend is making a character that pretty much worships dragons to the point of wanting to be one so badly he would slit his own grandmothers throat if it brought him even slightly closer. The character not my friend XD So I was wondering if there was a list or guide to the different ways to make dragons or if anyone had some hints or tips about good abilities or what traps to avoid.

JyP
2015-03-26, 04:29 AM
My friend is making a character that pretty much worships dragons to the point of wanting to be one so badly he would slit his own grandmothers throat if it brought him even slightly closer. The character not my friend XD So I was wondering if there was a list or guide to the different ways to make dragons or if anyone had some hints or tips about good abilities or what traps to avoid.

With core, there's the half-dragon prestige class which goes half the way

With 3.0 Savage Species, you have rituals of transformation to become what you want - but you basically need a spellcaster with a wish spell to do so.

what is the starting race of the character ? what you describe is basically a kobold, so Races of the Dragon for the win ^^

otherwise there's Draconomicon to have a draconic mount / cohort / familiar / PC.

Dysart
2015-03-26, 04:41 AM
Couple of suggestions.

For the player, sorcerer and go with the Draconic Bloodline, eventually going into Dragon Disciple. It's honestly not super powerful at all... but you do eventually become kind of a half-dragon so there's that.

For you and the dragons, Draconomicon. Basically a book with all your dragon based needs. There's also Dragon Magic and Races of the Dragon.

They're all 3.5 though so if you're playing a different edition/pathfinder they may not be perfect for you.

Pilo
2015-03-26, 05:05 AM
I recommand the dragonborn of Bahamut template (Race of the Dragon) (or dragonwrought kobold) and the Dragonfire adept class from the same book.

satorian
2015-03-26, 07:12 AM
Another option would be to take one of the draconic subraces (e.g. Silverbrow human), be a sorcerer or bard, take the draconic ancestry feats from RoD, and go into either dracolexi or the Dragon Prophet from Eberron.

OldTrees1
2015-03-26, 11:05 AM
Dragonborn(Races of the Dragon) Raptorians(Races of the Wild) have both the Flight and the Breath Weapon of Dragons but are LA+0 and have 0RHD so they are perfect for PCs.

Seerow
2015-03-26, 11:11 AM
Consider a dip into Totemist. With the Web Supplement material there's a bunch of soulmelds that only need to be shaped, not bound, that grant you a bunch of natural attacks that are dragon themed. (claws, bite, wing buffets, and tail sweep I believe). Combine that with the Raptoran Dragonborn, and from there you can go Sorcerer and all you really need is a way to become a large+ quadruped permanently.

Edit: Forgot the frightening presence. There's a Forgotten Realms feat that will get you that at level 1, but it might be human only or something, not sure. But something to look into at least.

Deadasadoor
2015-03-26, 02:18 PM
Consider a dip into Totemist. With the Web Supplement material there's a bunch of soulmelds that only need to be shaped, not bound, that grant you a bunch of natural attacks that are dragon themed. (claws, bite, wing buffets, and tail sweep I believe). Combine that with the Raptoran Dragonborn, and from there you can go Sorcerer and all you really need is a way to become a large+ quadruped permanently.

Edit: Forgot the frightening presence. There's a Forgotten Realms feat that will get you that at level 1, but it might be human only or something, not sure. But something to look into at least.

There is a soulmeld that gives frightful presence I believe. There's also Awaken Frightful Presence which requires the dragon type, and the Frightful Presence feat which requires 9 ranks in Intimidate. Draconomicon has both.

Has he considered actually being a dragon? WhamBamSam has a guide to dragon PCs floating around that's quite detailed if he wants to look at that.

Arcanist
2015-03-26, 02:35 PM
Forgot the frightening presence. There's a Forgotten Realms feat that will get you that at level 1, but it might be human only or something, not sure. But something to look into at least.

Awaken Frightful Presence will do it, however you can't do it by just being a Dragonborn. Unless you're thinking of a different feat.

Seerow
2015-03-26, 02:40 PM
Awaken Frightful Presence will do it, however you can't do it by just being a Dragonborn. Unless you're thinking of a different feat.

I was actually thinking of Dreadful Wrath (which does require Human or Planetouched), but you guys provided enough alternatives that it is irrelevant.

Geddy2112
2015-03-26, 02:43 PM
In pathfinder, there are Wyvarans, which are basically humanoid dragons, something bigger than a Kobold but not quite a dragon. Their rules are somewhat limited, but present and could easily be swapped into 3.5

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/advanced-races-11-20-rp/wyvaran-17-rp

icefractal
2015-03-26, 04:38 PM
There's Draconic Grafts too, although if he admires dragons those might not be suitable (can't remember if they're made from dead dragons or not).

atemu1234
2015-03-26, 07:31 PM
In pathfinder, there are Wyvarans, which are basically humanoid dragons, something bigger than a Kobold but not quite a dragon. Their rules are somewhat limited, but present and could easily be swapped into 3.5

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/advanced-races-11-20-rp/wyvaran-17-rp

There's Draconic Grafts too, although if he admires dragons those might not be suitable (can't remember if they're made from dead dragons or not).

Now I want to play one of those specializing in grafting dragon bits onto himself while becoming a half-dragon through PrC. Thanks, playground.