PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Hadozee for 5e!

M Placeholder
2015-03-26, 07:30 AM
Exactly what it says on the tin. Those adventurers on the high seas and the flow, the hadozee. Uplifting presence by Eastmabl (thanks man:smallsmile:)

The Hadozee

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-JOPpREw_EVM/TxIWaO8e9rI/AAAAAAAABl4/2PwKsfpBJ-c/s1600/hadozee.png

Plying the wildspace and often going with the flow, the hadozee are one of the most common races to be encountered on the deck of a spelljammer, and for good reason. They are excellent sailors, and they are born warriors, perfectly able to handle whatever the flow can throw at them and their vessels. As a result of a species wide constant wanderlust , the hadozee can no longer remember or care to remember their homeland, and the majority of hadozee are now born at sea or in ports, and large hadozee communities in seaports are quite common.

A hadozee resembles an ape, but with a membrane around themselves that allows them to glide short distances, and they often use this ability to climb the masts of ships and then launch themselves off. They stand between 5 and 6 foot tall in stature, and as a result of their heavy muscle, they weigh 200 pounds plus. As a result of their wanderlust, the fur variation on a hadozee is very variable, and can be many shades of gold, brown and black, with occasional all white or all black hadozee being encountered. Their lifespans are the same as humans, and most hadozee, at the end of it, are buried at sea or given a Viking burial.

Hadozee live for the open sea and wildspace, and they love hard work. They have an almost kender like optimism when at sea, and the presence of a hadozee can lift the entire ship, even when things seem at their bleakest.

It is said that the Hadozee are born to wander, and while they have no seafairing or spacefairing ability of their own, they jump at the chance to join up with merchant vessels or privateer ships. They especially enjoy fighting on elven ships, and get on with most over races. They have a special rapport with wavecrest gnomes, and the ability of the wavecrest gnome to speak with sea birds can entertain a hadozee for hours.

In terms of the roles that hadozee play, they are excellent bards and it is a rare ship that does not have a hadozee singing sea shanties to uplift the crew. Hadozee have a baritone voice that booms across the decks of a ship. The hadozee guardian of the sea and guardian of a 100 aspects of the moon, Hengchia, has a number of priests on the ocean waves.

As a hadozee, you have -

+2 to dexterity and + 2 to charisma. You are agile and you know how to interact with people and inspire them.
You have a base land speed of 30 feet
You can glide, negating the damage from a fall of any height, and travel 20 feet horizontally for every 5 feet vertical descent. You glide at a speed of 40 feet.
You have proficiency on acrobatics.
Uplifting Presence - As a hadozee, you have a presence on the ship and almost boundless optimism. Once per long rest, you can provide all those within 30 feet advantage on Wisdom saving throws against fear effects. This ability cannot be used if you are surprised or unconscious.
You have proficiency in knowledge relating to nature regarding the oceans and wildspace, and history regarding nautical matters
You speak hadozee, aquan and common.

M Placeholder
2015-03-26, 07:32 AM
Hadozee feats

Greater Uplifting Presence

Prerequesites - Hadozee, proficiency bonus +3, Charisma Modifier +3

As a hadozee, you can use Uplifting presence, and with this feat, you can use it in battle without a rest to give an inspiration die (1d4) to allies equal to your proficiency bonus, to be added to D20 rolls. Only one die can be added to any one roll.

You can use this ability per day equal to your proficiency bonus

Hadozee weapons

Coming up soon

Variant Hadozee

Coming up soon

Hengchia

The 108 aspects, the eternal optimist, the wildspace one

Portfolio - Hadozee, optimism, wildspace travel, sea travel.

More to come.......

SharkForce
2015-03-26, 07:50 AM
adding dex to AC is either completely redundant (light armour or no armour already gets that), or simply cannoy be permitted to exist because it is too powerful (wearing anything else which normally does not allow dex to AC).

unless i've misunderstood your meaning.

BRKNdevil
2015-03-26, 08:18 AM
also throw on the 5e tag. I almost missed this thread

M Placeholder
2015-03-26, 08:21 AM
also throw on the 5e tag. I almost missed this thread

Done that, and there will be feats and weapons for the hadozee coming up soon.

eastmabl
2015-03-26, 01:55 PM
I like the hadozee, and actually have a hadozee NPC about to enter my present campaign (albeit a nautical campaign using elements of Stormwrack). Two thoughts:

I would suggest that you limit the height from which the hadozee can ignore falling damage from - even it's something high like 100 feet, or one turn of falling.

Mechanically, I think it would be interesting to see "the presence of a hadozee can lift the entire ship, even when things seem at their bleakest" built in somehow.

M Placeholder
2015-03-26, 02:33 PM
I like the hadozee, and actually have a hadozee NPC about to enter my present campaign (albeit a nautical campaign using elements of Stormwrack). Two thoughts:

I would suggest that you limit the height from which the hadozee can ignore falling damage from - even it's something high like 100 feet, or one turn of falling.

Mechanically, I think it would be interesting to see "the presence of a hadozee can lift the entire ship, even when things seem at their bleakest" built in somehow.

Thanks, Ill try and come up with a feat or two to reflect the presence of the hadozee, or a feature. Maybe a cantrip even.

As for falling damage, Im not sure about that, but Ill put an optional rule on damage from that height.

eastmabl
2015-03-26, 04:07 PM
Thanks, Ill try and come up with a feat or two to reflect the presence of the hadozee, or a feature. Maybe a cantrip even.

As for falling damage, Im not sure about that, but Ill put an optional rule on damage from that height.

This might be my take on the race:

Hadozee:

- +2 Dex, +1 Cha
- Base movement speed of 30 ft.
- Glide: When a hadozee makes a Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check to jump across an area without a floor,* the hadozee can use his actions (Action, Move Action, Standard Action) to move like he is walking on the ground. For every 30 feet he moves, the hadozee will descend 10 feet. While gliding, the hadozee will also ignore any falling damage from a height of less than 60 feet. (Any hadozee who falls from a height greater than 60 feet will suffer the full damage of the fall).
- Proficiency in the Acrobatics skill.
- Advantage with Intelligence checks which involve oceans or nautical matters.
- Uplifting Presence: the presence of a hadozee can uplift those around him. Once per long rest, a hadozee can provide all those within 30 feet advantage on Wisdom saving throws against fear effects. This ability cannot be used if the hadozee is surprised or unconscious.
- You speak Hadozee, Aquan and Common.

What I feel this does for the hadozee is the following:

1. Brings it back to a +2/+1 race.
2. By making glide the same speed as walking speed, it makes calculating movement a little easier - which is admittely made harder by the descent feature (but that was already present in your build).
3. Giving advantage on the situational checks makes the ability easier to represent on the character sheet, and by expanding it to all intelligence checks, it incentivizes the player to explain how she can get this advantage. (Player: "I know a lot about the sea... what do I know about the sea god?" DM: "Roll an Intelligence (Religion) check with advantage.")
4. The Uplifting Presence gives a limited but powerful advantage once per day. (Alternatively, I could see this as being "Cha bonus, if positive" to Wisdom saving throws).

*Yes, this wording is clunky.

M Placeholder
2015-03-26, 06:05 PM
Apart from no mentions of wildspace, that is a great take on the Hadozee. Hats off to you sir.:smallsmile:

eastmabl
2015-03-26, 10:14 PM
Apart from no mentions of wildspace, that is a great take on the Hadozee. Hats off to you sir.:smallsmile:

First off, thank you. It should be noted that my hat is tipped to you for giving me a good base to work with - my first attempt at the race wasn't worth posting on the internet. (However, the NPC would probably just have been an NPC with the glide ability).

Wildspace is a Spelljammer thing, no? ** Checks the internet. ** Yes, it's a Spelljammer thing.

Since I primarily know the hadozee from Stormwrack, it's more of a seafaring race. However, if you wanted to add mention of advantage on Intelligence checks involving wildspace, I think that it would still be balanced.

PotatoGolem
2015-03-28, 11:46 AM
I'm not sure the glide limit makes sense. Did they have particularly weak arms, so that they can only glide for a short period of time? And even if that's the case, it makes no sense that they would take full damage if the fall was over 60 feet- they should at least ignore the first 60 feet of the fall. Otherwise, you get an absurd situation where jumping down from 60 feet is totally fine and awesome, but 61 feet means you take 6d6 falling damage and drop like a rock.

Plus, I feel like glide already has the significant limit that you're using your arms to glide. Presumably, most DM's would limit your ability to fight while gliding- either disadvantage on attacks, or you drop down quicker.

Agreed on the advantage on Int checks regarding the sea and wildspace.

eastmabl
2015-03-30, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure the glide limit makes sense. Did they have particularly weak arms, so that they can only glide for a short period of time? And even if that's the case, it makes no sense that they would take full damage if the fall was over 60 feet- they should at least ignore the first 60 feet of the fall. Otherwise, you get an absurd situation where jumping down from 60 feet is totally fine and awesome, but 61 feet means you take 6d6 falling damage and drop like a rock.

Thematically: The way I view the ability is that the hadozee can jump and glide because his arms slow his descent. However, since the hadozee doesn't have an actual fly speed, at a certain distance it hits a speed where any landing is going to be akin to a crash landing.

(Remember, since the hadozee descends 10 feet for every 30 he moves, he can jump and glide 180 feet without taking any falling damage).

Mechanically: By putting a limitation on the distance for gliding, it tones down the power of the race and gives me the ability to put other cool bits into the race. A bright line rule is the simplest way to match the KISS standard

Alteratively, it could be "Ignore all falling damage for descents 60 or less. For falling damage for descents greater than 60 feet, hadozee suffer half the damage."

Plus, I feel like glide already has the significant limit that you're using your arms to glide. Presumably, most DM's would limit your ability to fight while gliding- either disadvantage on attacks, or you drop down quicker.

That's a good point that I am sure would have come up on playtest. Admittedly, I don't foresee players gliding so their characters can fight mid-air - although it sounds pretty cool.

Edit: Also, I suppose that Fighter 20 archers could launch four arrows/round while gliding. Also, caster could make good use of it. I would say that this is more of a DM-discretion thing - make an argument why your gliding shouldn't impose some sort of penalty.