PDA

View Full Version : force effects on windwall?

EastbySoutheast
2015-03-26, 08:08 AM
So just a quick one,
Do force effects go through windwall?
For example I have a 'Force Bow' (MIC Enchantment) do its arrows pass through the windwall?

Psyren
2015-03-26, 08:11 AM
It makes your arrows deal force damage but they are still arrows - as written Wind Wall will still stop them.

If you're willing to backport, Pathfinder has the Cyclonic property (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/cyclonic) to defeat wind effects.

GreatDane
2015-03-26, 09:13 AM
The arrow is still an arrow, it's possibly just made of force energy. So it's affected normally by the wind wall.

Wall of force, on the other hand, might cut a wind wall in half, or block its vertical influence. That could be useful in the right situation.

Semi-unrelated: I think it's cool how some spells are so iconic, they influence peoples' perception of similar effects. Magic missile I think is the culprit here. Invisibility is another one I've seen - other forms of invisibility don't end when the user attacks, which a fellow player with a ninja character was very excited to discover.

EastbySoutheast
2015-03-26, 10:50 AM
The arrow is still an arrow, it's possibly just made of force energy. So it's affected normally by the wind wall.

Wall of force, on the other hand, might cut a wind wall in half, or block its vertical influence. That could be useful in the right situation.

Semi-unrelated: I think it's cool how some spells are so iconic, they influence peoples' perception of similar effects. Magic missile I think is the culprit here. Invisibility is another one I've seen - other forms of invisibility don't end when the user attacks, which a fellow player with a ninja character was very excited to discover.

Yeah I was thinking they may act a little like magic missiles..

So if you cast a horizontal wall of force and then windwall vertically through it could you toss arrows in and watch them get flung out at stupid speeds in whatever direction the wall of force is facing?
Obviously not limited to arrows but still could this work do you think?

Mr Adventurer
2015-03-26, 10:58 AM
Wall of Force has to be vertical, I believe.

Psyren
2015-03-26, 11:00 AM
Yeah I was thinking they may act a little like magic missiles..

So if you cast a horizontal wall of force and then windwall vertically through it could you toss arrows in and watch them get flung out at stupid speeds in whatever direction the wall of force is facing?
Obviously not limited to arrows but still could this work do you think?

Wind wall deflects arrows, causing them to miss - the direction of the wind does not matter, they don't hit anything (not in a damaging way, anyway.)

EastbySoutheast
2015-03-26, 11:50 AM
Wind wall deflects arrows, causing them to miss - the direction of the wind does not matter, they don't hit anything (not in a damaging way, anyway.)

But thinking outside of arrows more like pots of alchemist fire or vials and vials of contact poisons basically being 'thrown'by the wall spells.
I mean if it worked it could work when defending or attacking a location

Psyren
2015-03-26, 12:07 PM
But thinking outside of arrows more like pots of alchemist fire or vials and vials of contact poisons basically being 'thrown'by the wall spells.
I mean if it worked it could work when defending or attacking a location

Vials, thrown weapons etc. have a 30% miss chance. You would then invoke the "missed splash weapon" rules.