PDA

View Full Version : How to Jump like a Final Fantasy Dragoon

Ancientchild
2015-03-26, 09:34 AM
I really enjoy Final Fantasy's aesthetic and 5e has polearms that are not nearly as sub optimal as they were in previous iterations of the game that I've played, so I want to make a dragoon type character. They are a footman with a spear and heavy-ish armor that can jump in a superhuman manner for those of you that have not played FF games. Strength works for both polearms and calculating jump distance, which is good, but the problems are:

1. The distance is too short for the epic anime style jumps you see in Final Fantasy

2. I can't seem to figure out how to jump as part of an attack.

The jump spell gets me a good distance to solve problem one, but the only way I can find to use it frequently is to get 9 levels of warlock, which makes the character too magical in other ways for the concept. As for the jumping attack, I can't find anything in the core books for that. I may be down to needing to homebrew something. Do any of you have some ideas?

Wartex1
2015-03-26, 10:00 AM
Homebrew is your friend.

You can make a Fighter Subclass that gives you an ability that allows you to use your action to jump twice your remaining movement, landing an attack on a creature in or next to the space that you land in.

That or something similar.

Joe the Rat
2015-03-26, 10:01 AM
Jumping is movement. You're essentially moving + attacking in a ballistic trajectory. There aren't any benefits to this without some sort of add-ons. The charger feat (such that it is) gives you full move before an attack, but that still leaves the issue of how to get the monstrous leap distances.

Ultimately, you want a jump distance (but not a jump movement) that exceeds your movementx2, such that after a move+dash, you're still mid-air until next round, in proper dragoon style. :smallbiggrin:

Naanomi
2015-03-26, 10:13 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?391682-Boing!

See here for some thoughts on jump optimization

Mr.Moron
2015-03-26, 10:15 AM
Homebrew

Boots of Sick Ups

These boots can be [BALANCED_USE_CONDITIONS]. With an action, the user makes a mighty leap that reaches its apex of 150ft just before the start of their next turn. They come crashing down at the start of their next turn, consuming their bonus action in the process. They may choose to land anywhere within 30ft from where they began the Jump and take no damage from falling when doing so. If the position they land places an enemy in their melee range and they use their action to attack that turn as they land, the momentum imparts extra power and their first attack that turn deals an additional 1d6 damage per [FAIR_FORMULA] character levels they possses. If they are using a polearm such as a Spear or Halberd this damage is increased to 1d8 [BALANCED_NUMBER] character levels they posses.

The falling protection from these boots only function during a mighty leap.The character takes falling damage normally otherwise, and if they land in a lower position than they started (for example jumping off a cliff) they take fall damage normally but reducing the effective distance they fell by 150ft.

Submortimer
2015-03-26, 10:19 AM
So, this is what my group decided on after my Battlemaster fighter got himself a pair of Boots of Striding and Springing.

A) Screw that noise that says you can only jump your maximum movement distance. Additional Movement speed doesn't break the game in any fundamental way.

B) When you jump to attack a creature, you need to make both the attack roll and an athletics check, both against the targets AC. if you succeed at both, then you can add whatever the falling damage from the height of your jump would be. If you fail the athletics check, you only do normal damage. If you fumble either roll, you take the falling damage instead.

ZenBear
2015-03-26, 11:10 AM
Doesn't Eagle Totem give the Barbarian mad hops? Half-plate fits the Dragoon aesthetic, rage can be fluffed as adrenaline or dragon frenzy, etc. Call it Totem of the Dragon, take whatever benefits fit your style best.

Gurifu
2015-03-26, 11:25 AM
It does. Eagle Totem Barbarian seems to fit your concept perfectly, and polearm master works very well with the barbarian's rage damage bonus and lack of other options for bonus actions, so it's even fairly well optimized.

As for still being mid-air at the end of the round, it doesn't fit the concept. Dragoon jumps seem to last about 3 seconds, not 5-10.

Mr.Moron
2015-03-26, 11:28 AM
It does. Eagle Totem Barbarian seems to fit your concept perfectly, and polearm master works very well with the barbarian's rage damage bonus and lack of other options for bonus actions, so it's even fairly well optimized.

As for still being mid-air at the end of the round, it doesn't fit the concept. Dragoon jumps seem to last about 3 seconds, not 5-10.

We don't really know how long final fantasy "Turns" are anyway. In some games the jump is pretty much instant, in others it seems to go for like half a minute.

I think anything without a round-to-round mechanic just isn't going to "Feel" like dragoon in a turn-based system. The real world/"OOC" wait time for the rules resolution is a big part of what makes that impact at the end really satisfying.

Yagyujubei
2015-03-26, 11:57 AM
so easy, make a custom fighter sub path that allows you to use the jump spell (create a spell like effect as the text would say) in place of one of your attacks each round. you lose out on an attack, but you get to add falling damage die to your damage total so it would even out reasonably well.

you could even expand it to say you could swap out additional attacks to increase the power of the jump spell to get some truly crazy heights.

what other path features would be there I don't know.

EDIT: If you wanted to incorporate the time delay aspect of some FF dragoons, just tack that on to the ability. you sacrifice an attack to get the effects of the jump spell, additionally for each attack sacrificed this way you will remain in the air for 1 turn (past your own), and land at the target location as the end of that turn.

so if you have 3 attacks. sacrifice 1 to get the effects of the jump spell on top of your normal jump height, stay in the air for your turn, and for the turn immediately following, then land in the location you targeted. if the location you targeted doesn't have enemies in it anymore you just hit nothing. otherwise you roll your remaining weapon attacks as usual and add falling die to the dmg of the attack

Ancientchild
2015-03-26, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. The eagle totem is a great catch if I do this with a DM leary of home brewing stuff, and there are some good home brew ideas in there too if the DM is more adventuresome. I'd prefer the home brews that have the one round to the next hang time because that feels like the turn based FF games but we shall see how the group feels.

Easy_Lee
2015-03-26, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. The eagle totem is a great catch if I do this with a DM leary of home brewing stuff, and there are some good home brew ideas in there too if the DM is more adventuresome. I'd prefer the home brews that have the one round to the next hang time because that feels like the turn based FF games but we shall see how the group feels.

I agree that homebrew would be best, and that a blade-pact warlock or eagle totem barbarian would be a good secondary. If you homebrew, I would recommend extra attack along with a jump-bonus damage progression one per round similar to a rogue's sneak attack. For extra funsies, you could make it an archetype of an existing class (though be careful to keep the damage in line).

xyianth
2015-03-27, 02:32 AM
Just in case homebrew isn't an option, I think this concept can be handled fairly well with the following build:

race: wood elf
27pt: 15 str, 11(13) dex, 14 con, 10 int, 12(13) wis, 10 cha
build: fighter 1/monk 6/rogue 2/fighter +11
ASIs: Athlete[+1 Str](5), +2 Str(12), Polearm Master(14), +2 Str(16), Mobile(20)
background: any
skills: Perception, Athletics, <any fighter skill>, <any rogue skill>, <background skill>, <background skill>
tools: thieves' tools
languages: common, elven
monk way: Way of Shadow
fighter archetype: Eldritch Knight
equipment: plate mail, <any polearm>, boots of striding and springing
useful spells: longstrider, shield, darkness

This results in a character with the following benefits:

Max Strength, Athletics proficiency, Athletics expertise
You can make running high jumps after moving 5' (jump distance tripled by boots)
Your move speed is 45' (55' with longstrider up)
You can dash as a bonus action
You can shadow step as a bonus action
You take 30 less damage from falling
You have 3 attacks per round (4 if you use either your polearm master bonus action attack or your martial arts bonus action attack)

Logosloki
2015-03-27, 07:25 AM
napkin subclass for fighter:

Level 3 - Leap: When you make a standing long or high jump you always count as having moved 10ft for the purposes of how long or high you jump. You automatically clear any low obstacles.

level 7 - Pounce: If you move at least half your movement speed straight towards a target and make a successful hit on the same turn that target must succeed a strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone you may make one attack against the target as a bonus action. The save for the throw is 8 + (your proficiency modifier) + (your strength modifier)

level 10 - Soar: Once per short or long rest you may jump a distance up to your movement. You gain an extra use of this ability at level 15 and 18.

Level 15 - Crash: When you end your movement after jumping you deal your weapon dice in damage to each enemy target within 10ft of where you stop. The damage type is based on what weapon you are wielding.

Level 18 - Roar: Each target of the Dragoon's choosing within 60ft must make an 8+Proficiency+strength saving throw or be frightened for 1 minute. At the end of each turn a target can attempt to shake off the frightened condition by repeating the saving throw. On a success the target is immune to roar for 24 hours. You may only use this ability once per long rest.

Probably imba but, meh, napkin subclass.

BootStrapTommy
2015-03-27, 12:03 PM
There was a nice 3.x prestige class called Sword Saint, a wuxia, crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon variant weapons master. Jump high and into attacks was a thing it did. Might want to check it out. Adapt and homebrew its features into a new Martial Archetype for the Fighter...

Inevitability
2015-03-27, 04:01 PM
You can be an Aarakocra... Just refluff your fly speed as draconic wings combined with some really good jumping skills. Take two levels in rogue for:

1. Disengage as bonus action.
2. Fly 45 ft. up as movement.
3. Ready an action to attack the enemy once he is within reach.
4. Stop flying.
5. Once you are near the enemy, make your attack.
6. Use your remaining fly speed to catch yourself, taking no damage.

It is reliant on slightly shaky RAW, but would probably work.

Vogonjeltz
2015-03-27, 04:10 PM
I really enjoy Final Fantasy's aesthetic and 5e has polearms that are not nearly as sub optimal as they were in previous iterations of the game that I've played, so I want to make a dragoon type character. They are a footman with a spear and heavy-ish armor that can jump in a superhuman manner for those of you that have not played FF games. Strength works for both polearms and calculating jump distance, which is good, but the problems are:

1. The distance is too short for the epic anime style jumps you see in Final Fantasy

The jump spell gets me a good distance to solve problem one, but the only way I can find to use it frequently is to get 9 levels of warlock, which makes the character too magical in other ways for the concept. As for the jumping attack, I can't find anything in the core books for that. I may be down to needing to homebrew something. Do any of you have some ideas?

Well, the rules on Jumping (pg 182) indicate the DM might allow you to jump higher than you normally could with a Strength (Athletics) check.

All you really need at this point is a DM who agrees to let you anime jump as a check (perhaps with a DC starting at 1 (since anything below the distance requested requires no roll at all) and increasing based on the distance gone).

For part number 2, you can split your movement between attacks when you take the attack action, so basically you just jump, and attack whenever you're in range.

You might also plausibly get a bonus for attacking from above (advantage perhaps, like if you're attacking from on a mount with the Mounted Combat feat, the DM might even say you just need to take that feat and give you the extra benefit). This doesn't necessarily require homebrew either as the DM might simply call it a bonus resulting from the circumstances of the attack (attacks after the first would not have advantage, presumably).

You could also ask your DM to have the Charger feat support this type of jump attack. (Charger practically does, actually, it just requires the recognition that 'in a straight line' might simply refer to flying through the air directly at the target).

Good luck!

Yagyujubei
2015-03-28, 02:30 PM
ok here's my quick subclass after seeing Logosloki's post, I kept the pounce and roar abilities because I think they fit perfectly, but added the time delay ability to jumps that i mentioned before.

Dragoon (Fighter subclass) *As a dragoon, your High jump distance capability is calculated the same as your long jump using STR score rather than STR modifier.

lvl 3- Jump: you may sacrifice 1 or your attacks during your turn to gain the effects of the jump spell as part of your move action that turn. these effects do not count as a magical spell, but a spell-like effect.

lvl3- Dragon Heart: you know the draconic language and have advantage on saves against dragon fear effects

lvl7- Pouce: on a successful hit after activating the jump ability, the jumps target must succeed a strength saving throw or be knocked prone. The save for the throw is 8 + (your proficiency modifier) + (your strength modifier)

lvl10- High jump: your attacks after jumping do an additional weapon die of damage. Additionally, you may now sacrifice more than 1 or your attacks during your turn to augment the effects of your jump ability. For every attack sacrificed after the first, your jump distance increases by 15 feet and will last a turn longer before you land at the target location. when using high jump, you must always land in the space designated before the jump is activated and you are considered out of combat until you land.

lvl15- Roar: Each target of the Dragoons choosing within 30 feet must 8+prof+STR saving throw or be frightened for 1 minute. You gain 1 temporary HP for every target affected this way. At the end of each turn a target can attempt to shake off the frightened condition by repeating the saving throw as a free action. you can use this ability once per long or short rest.

lvl18- Aerial Assault: Once per long rest, your jump or high jump can target each creature of your choice within a 15ft radius.

Grayfigure
2016-03-27, 01:21 PM
Small question, as you've tempted me to try to make a subclass build for this:

Which version of Final Fantasy were you looking for/at, specifically?

I ask only because FFXI had a pseudodragon companion, while FFXIV did not....while FF Tactics/WotL (my Fave FF to date) had the Dragoon capable of using a shield while using a polearm (a two handed weapon). ive got a few ideas either way, but I work pretty slowly, so feel free to answer whenever you can. Also note: Im not very good at this class making thing (see my Sig to see what I mean >_<) but this has enticed me to try again! :P

Edit: or, judging by the last date in this post, probably won't get an answer, as this thread was dead....man, I have to start reading the dates more......

DracoKnight
2016-03-27, 03:06 PM

One way would be to go with Fighter 1/Sorcerer 5/Fighter 14 going Battlemaster the rest of the way. Grab the feather fall, jump, and fly spells, and then have fun. Fly is concentration, but feather fall and jump are not. You'll have 3rd level spellcasting by 6th level, 3 attacks by 16th level, and be able to fly up, drop with feather fall onto an opponent and wreck them with your polearm. If I were the DM, I would say you'd probably get advantage on your attack for attacking this way, and that you could use a lance just fine.

Sigreid
2016-03-27, 03:18 PM
Eagle totem barbarian. 3rd or 4th ability.

NaitoCorvo
2016-03-27, 03:49 PM
while indeed homebrew makes it more accesible, I already made a math possible for this: includes lots of cheese and optimization.

first of all, we need the fastest moving race: wood elf (35 ft)
at this point you will have 2 mix 2 classes: Monk and Fighter.
Go monk for up to level 12th or 14th (your choice) to increse movement by 20/25 ft.
go Fighter up to 4th, 6th or 8th(again, your choice) and pick Eldritch Knight: from level 1 spells pick 2 non-intelligence reliant spells like Magic missile and shield and 3rd spell can be jump or another spell (like feather fall) and on 4th fighter level pick magic initiate and pick jump spell.
along the way you want Mobile feat and be VERY LUCKY to either get a Belt of giant strenght or a potion of giant's strenght and the boots of striding and springing. but for obvious reasons we are gonna go with max STR for calculating reasons.

at the end of this on 20 str.

meaning you jump along 20 feet and your standing jump is half that...10 feet. now here is where everyone gets messy because all calculating matters goes to the jumping lenght and not the standing jump as the latter is always half the former.
you can move along at least 70 ft.
base speed 70 ft.
STR 20
Jump lg 20 feet
tripled to 60 feet with boots
doubled to 120 with monk step (also now able to move up to 140 ft for dashing)
tripled again to 360 with jump spell, and halving it, meaning you can do a standing jump of 180 feet. Now, rules state you can only cover jump equal to your movement. The Solution? DASH LIKE THE MAD GODS. now by base fare, you dash as a monk along your jumping getting doubled but nobody says you can only dash once, and having a fighter level of 2+ means you get 1 extra action.

here comes the cheesening: you can ask your DM to allow you to re-stat some weapons (halberds and Spears) as monk weapons, now, even if he doesn't you can still use those because fighter. the second piece of cheese comes from the fact that you will attack by moving and not by attacking, because you literally will have to drop on the enemy with the weapon you are wielding at hand. Make the many acrobatics check you have to do to aim properly and stick the landing.

at this point is ofcourse, choice of the DM to allow all of this happening of course and for a good recomendation if the DM allows it, go for long death monk given that at level 11 you become harder to kill and even so around level 10 or so you already can shrug about 50 points worth of falling damage, also you may want to grab the tough feat, you know, to be a little bit beefier...and have a constitution of at least 14. that's pretty much all I have to say so far. if anyone sees a glaring mistake in my reasoning, please do point it out.

EDIT: I forgot the rule on High jumps, silly me. but still..with a jump above 100 feet (wich is in fact a lot) on vertical movement is still pretty amazing

DracoKnight
2016-03-27, 05:02 PM

I whipped this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482848-5th-Edition-Dragoon) up, if your DM allows homebrew :smallsmile:

georgie_leech
2016-03-27, 06:40 PM
ok here's my quick subclass after seeing Logosloki's post, I kept the pounce and roar abilities because I think they fit perfectly, but added the time delay ability to jumps that i mentioned before.

Dragoon (Fighter subclass) *As a dragoon, your High jump distance capability is calculated the same as your long jump using STR score rather than STR modifier.

lvl 3- Jump: you may sacrifice 1 or your attacks during your turn to gain the effects of the jump spell as part of your move action that turn. these effects do not count as a magical spell, but a spell-like effect.

lvl3- Dragon Heart: you know the draconic language and have advantage on saves against dragon fear effects

lvl7- Pouce: on a successful hit after activating the jump ability, the jumps target must succeed a strength saving throw or be knocked prone. The save for the throw is 8 + (your proficiency modifier) + (your strength modifier)

lvl10- High jump: your attacks after jumping do an additional weapon die of damage. Additionally, you may now sacrifice more than 1 or your attacks during your turn to augment the effects of your jump ability. For every attack sacrificed after the first, your jump distance increases by 15 feet and will last a turn longer before you land at the target location. when using high jump, you must always land in the space designated before the jump is activated and you are considered out of combat until you land.

lvl15- Roar: Each target of the Dragoons choosing within 30 feet must 8+prof+STR saving throw or be frightened for 1 minute. You gain 1 temporary HP for every target affected this way. At the end of each turn a target can attempt to shake off the frightened condition by repeating the saving throw as a free action. you can use this ability once per long or short rest.

lvl18- Aerial Assault: Once per long rest, your jump or high jump can target each creature of your choice within a 15ft radius.

What's the rationale for being out of combat when there are any number of flying creatures, ranged attacks, and spell effects that can reach far enough to hit a Dragoon mid jump? For that matter, what does that even mean? It's not like initiative needs to be rolled to attack something or be damaged.

Incidentally, there are no Move Actions in 5e. You just have a certain amount of movement that can be broken up between attacks or other actions.

Foxhound438
2016-03-27, 07:02 PM
So one of the biggest benefits of "jump" in the older FF games is that you can time the command so that a big boss type enemy's big attack misses that character.

How I would do it is to make a fighter subclass with the following abilities at L3:

"Dragoon Jump: As an action, you leap high into the air to prepare for an attack. The height you reach is equal to 10 times your strength modifier, or up to a ceiling. If you jump to a ceiling, you stick there momentarily, otherwise you hang in the air. In either case, you fall at the start of your next turn. This ability has a recharge of 6.

Dragoon Lance: When you fall, you can use your reaction to move horizontally up to half the distance you fall. If you would land in range of another creature, or on top of it, you can make one melee weapon attack using a spear, lance, halberd, glaive, or pike. (other weapons might be allowed if you want) If the attack hits, the target takes a d6 additional damage for each 10 feet you fell, up to a maximum number of dice equal to your strength modifier. Hit or miss, the damage you take from falling is reduced by 5 times your fighter level if you make the attack. Additionally, you don't fall prone as a result of taking fall damage."

So the recharge on the first is just a way of saying indirectly that you can use it once every fight, or twice if you're lucky.

The second gives you the attack, and negates the fall damage you would take.

For 7th level give a flavor ribbon. It's the flavor level for fighters.

higher levels maybe have an aoe version somewhere, as well as a 5-6 recharge for the dragoon leap somewhere in there. Not sure what else you would put.

Hrugner
2016-03-28, 12:00 AM
I'd make a rogue subclass that gave you your sneak attack as a jump and land mechanic and added polearms, armor and shield profs. Give the big hop of ten feet per bonus die as a bonus action that gives you advantage till the end of your turn and lets you ad your sneak attack damage to the next polearm strike made with your attack action if used before the end of your turn.

That seems fair and fun I think.

charcoalninja
2016-03-28, 03:30 PM
If you house rule "you can't jump farther than your movement" to "you can't jump farther than your movement each round" you get your hangtime without any complications.

indemnity
2016-03-28, 11:25 PM
The Unearthed Arcana: Waterborne includes the minotaur race. As a racial ability they can use an action to Dash + attack with a 1d10 natural weapon attack.

Should be possible to do a running jump and attack in the same move.

A Ranger 2 minotaur (16 STR) using the jump spell can use an action to Dash, move 10 feet, jump 150' long and 6' high, then do a +5 1d10+3 piercing damage. Although a DM might make make you turn it into a ranged attack at that point.

pwykersotz
2016-03-29, 12:46 AM
I whipped this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482848-5th-Edition-Dragoon) up, if your DM allows homebrew :smallsmile:

Okay, that homebrew is pretty nifty. I might show my players. Well done, DracoKnight. Well done.

longshotist
2016-03-29, 01:34 AM

As a big FF dragoon/lancer fan myself, i've rolled and played D&D characters inspired by them over several editions. For the Adventurers League i created a character along these lines, starting as a level 1 paladin armed with a glaive. i haven't mapped out anything for the future, but i will say that just for flavor, in the two BBEG battles i've played in, i took a 10' movement then jumped the rest of the way to attack the boss, dealing the killing blow in both instances. There was no mechanical reason to do so other than roleplaying. The character is a paladin of Bahamut who had a criminal past, was taken as a slave and saved by a cleric of Bahamut, recuperated at his in the mountains, and hid in fear when a dragon destroyed it, vowing vengeance against evil dragons and trying to live up to the cleric's example.

The Oath of Vengeance misty step will be one way to get around. The spell description actually does not specify the space has to be on the ground come to think of it...

The athlete, charger and polearm master feats are something i have my eye on.

And the Avenging Angel capstone for the Oath is another way to get skyborne.

i'm sure there are magical items that can seriously increase your jumping ability as well.

Basically, to me, a dragoon fights with the spirit of a dragon, in armor using a polearm. There are a lot of different ways you can build on that with various classes, abilities, feats and so on.

In the meantime, give a running leap a try as part of your movement to engage an enemy. At the very least it gives your character a lot of flavor and signature (and inspiration from DMs!).

DracoKnight
2016-03-29, 02:13 AM
Okay, that homebrew is pretty nifty. I might show my players. Well done, DracoKnight. Well done.

Thank you! :smallbiggrin:

Grayfigure
2016-03-29, 05:51 PM
Ok, here are a bunch of ideas I've had on the subject in no sane order. Keep in mind that while the first part seems to be on a strange pseudo-order, it's only a 9 lace holder style set up to hold ideas in a mild sequence. Feel free to rearrange to your hearts content. Also, there are more abilities here than is legal for a reason. Think of this as an idea dartboard, with each idea being a dart. I just threw a bunch of darts at the board to see what sticks. Feel free to take as many or as few Powers from this as necessary, if any at all. I'll post a more sane approach when I get home.

Dragoon Archetype Think Tank:

Required Abilities:
Glyph Jump
Offensive - give up one attack per turn to make a standing high jump to a height of 3 times your strength SCORE. Doing so allows you to choose a square within a 10ft radius
of your current position to land in, back on the ground. You are protected from falling damage while under the effects of the glyph. If you land within 10 ft of an enemy while
wielding a weapon with the reach property and make an attack against the creature you landed near in the same turn in which you landed, you knock the enemy prone if you
succeed on your attack (applicable when you gain an extra attack at 5th level). Your melee attack in this circumstance will do twice its listed damage at 7th level. You may
only attack in this way once per turn.

Thematic fluff ability
Comprehend Language (Draconic only)

Viable epic level ability
Dragonfire or Dragonfire Dive.

4th ability
Elusive Jump

5th ability
Aoe fear ability (?)

Class Ideas
Reach Weapon/Shield fighting style (?)
When you are wearing medium Armor and are carrying a shield, any pole arm styled weapon you have equipped gains the versatile property and may be wielded with one
hand. Any weapon wielded in this fashion will convert it's damage dice to 1d8 weapon damage, but will retain the reach property. You must have a shield and medium
armor equipped to use this fighting style.
Heavy Armor (Medium Armor if Reach Weapon/Shield style is viable)
Proficiency in Reach Weapons
Elusive Jump
When an enemy succeeds in making an attack roll against you, you may use your reaction to make a DEX saving throw, with the enemy's natural attack roll as the DC for your
saving throw. If successful, you take no damage from the attack and are able to leap up to 15ft in any direction.* You must end your movement in an unoccupied square.
Movement in this manner does not cause attacks of opportunity from nearby enemies.
Aoe fear ability (?)
Once per short rest, you may use your Action to mimic an adult dragon's full Roar. Any enemy within 35 ft of you must make a CON saving throw vs 10 + CON + CHA + your
proficiency bonus as the DC. Any enemy that fails the saving throw is feared for 5 turns. This ability may be used twice per short rest at nth level.
Comprehend Language (Draconic only)
Dragon fire
Adds 2d6 fire damage to all attacks until the end of your next turn OR until you attack using the Glyph Jump feature. If used as part of your jump attack, the fire damage
becomes 6d6 and affects all creatures within a 15ft radius. You may use this ability twice between long rests.
Dragonfire Dive
You initiate a special Glyph Jump that is enchanted with flames.* You Glyph Jump as normal, but do an 6d6 fire damage to any creature within a 15ft radius of the landing
point. The fire damage is applied if the Glyph Jump hits or misses.* You may perform feature Twice between long rests

Edit: From Stars to horrible spacing. sigh...i cant win

Grayfigure
2016-03-29, 11:30 PM
And if I were to pick 5 ideas out of that slop of a post I made earlier and put together an Archetype, It would look like this:

Dragoon (Fighter Archetype)
Lvl 3:
Glyph Jump (name tenative)
Offensive - give up one attack per turn to make a standing high jump to a height of 3 times your strength SCORE in feet. Doing so allows you to choose a square within a 10ft radius of your current position to land in, back on the ground. You are protected from falling damage while under the effects of the glyph. If you land within 10 ft of an enemy while wielding a weapon with the reach property and make an attack against the creature you landed near in the same turn in which you landed, you knock the enemy prone if you succeed on your attack (applicable when you gain an extra attack at 5th level). Your melee attack in this circumstance will do twice its listed damage at 7th level. You may only attack in this way once per turn.

Lvl 7:
Elusive Jump
When an enemy succeeds in making an attack roll against you, you may use your reaction to make a DEX saving throw, with the enemy's natural attack roll as the DC for your saving throw. If successful, you take no damage from the attack and are able to leap up to 15ft in any direction.* You must end your movement in an unoccupied square. Movement in this manner does not cause attacks of opportunity from nearby enemies.

Lvl 10:
Comprehend Language (Draconic)

Lvl 15:
Dragon fire
Adds 2d6 fire damage to all attacks until the end of your next turn OR until you attack using the Glyph Jump feature. If used as part of your jump attack, the fire damage becomes 6d6 and affects all creatures within a 15ft radius. You may use this ability twice between long rests.

Lvl 18:
Aoe Fear ability
Once per short rest, you may use your Action to mimic an adult dragon's full Roar. Any enemy within 35 ft of you must make a CON saving throw vs 10 + CON + CHA + your proficiency bonus as the DC. Any enemy that fails the saving throw is feared for 5 turns. This ability may be used twice per short rest at nth level.

Grayfigure
2016-04-21, 12:37 PM
And should anyone still be following ths thread, here is my final-ish product (told you I work slowly lol):

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?483137-PEACH-Dragoon-a-Final-Fantasy-themed-Fighter-subclass&p=20602357#post20602357