PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder If You Had Just One Spell...

Palanan
2015-03-26, 01:10 PM
…of first level, from any arcane class, what would it be?

Any official Pathfinder source is fair game. Looking for versatility and potential for clever use.

Dysart
2015-03-26, 01:22 PM
Well 0 level it would be Prestidigitation, because that spell can do it all!

For first level, I'm pretty sure most people would go with good old Colour Spray.

I'm quite partial to Charm Person and Sleep though.

If I had to make a decision though... I'd say Pyrotechnics. The ability to blind no matter how short a time for is brilliant. Especially if your party knows the tactic before it's used and can avert their eyes ready.

Geddy2112
2015-03-26, 01:23 PM
Silent image-a first level spell useful throughout the game. The possibilities are limited to your creativity, nothing else even comes close at 1st level.

Seerow
2015-03-26, 01:24 PM
Floating Disc

Useful for when you run out of extradimensional storage space.

Kazuel
2015-03-26, 01:26 PM
Do you mean in game or in real life because then the answer and reasoning is way different. Also how often are we allowed to use the spell?

Palanan
2015-03-26, 01:36 PM
I'm trying to decide whether to take a second level of bard with the Magician archetype, which gains a bonus first-level spell.

I really like Vanish, but with only two rounds of invisibility it's tactically limited. Charm Person has its merits, but in a previous campaign I watched this spell fail horribly four times in a row, with low-level goon after low-level goon easily making their saves.

Pyrotechnics is listed on the PRD as a second-level spell, so out of bounds for now. First-level spells only, looking for something a little oddball and unexpectedly useful.

Amphetryon
2015-03-26, 03:26 PM
For versatility? I'd consider Sculpt Corpse, which can throw off pursuers or get townsfolk on the same side as the party regarding someone's demise.

If you were a combat-oriented Bard (unlikely, given your archetype), I might lean toward Mirror Strike, instead.

Necromancy
2015-03-27, 08:52 AM
I am confused by this question. It needs context. Like, am I a sorcerer in FR and can only have 1 spell?

Vizzerdrix
2015-03-27, 10:09 AM
Vanish is a good one.

Vrock_Summoner
2015-03-27, 10:14 AM
Charm Person.

It would not end well for anyone but me. And that's the optimistic assumption.

Amphetryon
2015-03-27, 10:50 AM
I am confused by this question. It needs context. Like, am I a sorcerer in FR and can only have 1 spell? OP addressed this, before your response.

I'm trying to decide whether to take a second level of bard with the Magician archetype, which gains a bonus first-level spell.

I really like Vanish, but with only two rounds of invisibility it's tactically limited. Charm Person has its merits, but in a previous campaign I watched this spell fail horribly four times in a row, with low-level goon after low-level goon easily making their saves.

Pyrotechnics is listed on the PRD as a second-level spell, so out of bounds for now. First-level spells only, looking for something a little oddball and unexpectedly useful.