PDA

View Full Version : Undeground reach?

Hanuman
2015-03-26, 02:05 PM
When a creature is burrowed does it's reach through solid materials, as in can you make natural attacks and such above ground while below it?

To expand on this, if you can burrow through stone do stone walls provide cover against your attacks when above ground or can you just reach through them like they weren't there?

sideswipe
2015-03-26, 03:33 PM
pretty sure (unless its a dysfunction) that melee attacks need a line of effect. so no reaching through walls.

black-jack
2015-03-26, 04:24 PM
While sideswipe is correct, I could see a DM houseruling it possible. You still get a miss chance towards them if you can't see through the stone, but being able to travel through it could allow attacking through it. Again, very DM-dependent, and I wouldn't make a character based on doing this without consulting them first.

sideswipe
2015-03-26, 06:03 PM
While sideswipe is correct, I could see a DM houseruling it possible. You still get a miss chance towards them if you can't see through the stone, but being able to travel through it could allow attacking through it. Again, very DM-dependent, and I wouldn't make a character based on doing this without consulting them first.

for me to allow this as a DM i would require you to have tremor sense or some way of pinpointing the 5ft square they are in before making the attack AND a burrow speed AND i would only allow melee or natural weapons.

Hanuman
2015-03-27, 01:24 AM
Selinia says that burrowed creatures don't get LoE against other creatures, so essentially you can't attack out of it, and can't go through walls, even if you have actual sight.

OldTrees1
2015-03-27, 05:28 AM
If an opponent has total cover vs you then you can't hit them.
The ground(unless made out of certain materials) is not total cover vs Incorporeal monsters.

Most forms of burrow do treat the medium as an obstacle. Earth Glide is the exception in that it allows you to move as if a fish swimming through water. Now the spell Earth Glide requires too much concentration, but a Xorn has a better version that requires no concentration and has no reduced speed. Furthermore Xorn have Tremorsense that exceeds their reach. So I could be convinced to allow Xorn to attack from inside walls, but in general I would leave that tactic to the incorporeal opponents.

Hanuman
2015-03-27, 05:41 AM
As the rules have been explained to me, earth glide doesn't change this. The RAI sort of changes but the raw stays pretty clear on how it functions in this scenario.

I'll be homebrewing around this, thanks for the responses!

atemu1234
2015-03-27, 06:02 AM
pretty sure (unless its a dysfunction) that melee attacks need a line of effect. so no reaching through walls.

This is correct. You would need something that lets you see through stone for it to work, at the very least.