PDA

View Full Version : Awesome things for an Epic Level Bard? (3.5)

redheadedDM
2015-03-26, 02:45 PM
I'm looking for magical items for an Epic Level Bard. She's in some desperate need of beefing up. She makes (Perform) Comedy checks, so magical instruments are not the greatest. Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-03-26, 05:27 PM
It really depends on what you want the character to do, and whether you're lacking in offense or defense, or noncombat situations.

For defense, every category of necessary item effecs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items) is fairly standard even prior to epic levels, and almost necessary in the epic levels. Also get a Necklace of Adaptation.

For offense, it depends on what your character does in combat. The Ancestral Relic Runestaff (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?267805-Sorcerer-Handbook#4) trick can give you access to tons of spells. You can make that an Elvencraft (Composite) Longbow from Races of the Wild, which counts as both a quarterstaff and a bow. You'll need to make that Masterwork three times, but it should be able to contain three wand chambers from Dungeonscape. You can make the bow portion an Energy Bow (archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a) and your attacks will benefit from your Inspire Courage. You can make it a magical staff (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingStaffs) with charges of spells in addition to its other abilities. You can even put non-Bard spells on the custom runestaff and make a DC 21 Use Magic Device check each day when you attune to it to use those spells as though they were on your class list.

For noncombat situations, the Ancestral Relic Runestaff is still going to be extremely useful. Also consider a Shax's Indispensable Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-%28Equipment-Handbook%29), and Eternal Wands (MIC) of non-Bard spells which anyone capable of casting arcane spells can use.

atemu1234
2015-03-26, 06:04 PM
Take levels in Sublime Chord.

Hiro Quester
2015-03-26, 08:08 PM
Yes. What role in your party? Are you starting out epic, or do you have history, gear, style, role we should know about?

What weaknesses are you trying to block?

sideswipe
2015-03-27, 06:56 AM
never too late to take ur priest :smallwink:

or as said sublime chord to gain wizard spells too as well as in a few levels 7th+ spells.

Bronk
2015-03-27, 08:59 AM
If you want to max out inspire courage (for bonuses or because you're taking Dragonfire Inspiration for damage) you could:

Take only levels in classes that progress inspire courage.

Know and cast the spell 'inspirational boost' for +1 to inspire.

Take the 'Song of the Heart' feat for +1 to inspire.

Buy and wear a 'Badge of Valor' for +1 to inspire.

Learn the 'Words of Creation' feat to double your inspire courage bonus.

Learn subsonics to make your performances inaudible and lingering song to make them last longer.

You didn't say what level you were exactly, but by Level 26 you can be telling jokes peppered with ancient languages under your breath all day long for a +16 bonus to hit and damage for all your friends. If you have 'dragonfire inspiration' too, you can then let that bonus coast while giving you and all of your allies +16d6 energy damage to all of their melee attacks as well.

Once you hit Level 27 you might have the prereqs for taking 'Epic Inspiration' for +1 to inspire per feat.

You could also look at the 'metamagic song' feat from Races of Stone for help casting magic.

Aside from that, I'd suggest the various luck feats.

redheadedDM
2015-03-27, 10:26 AM
Yes. What role in your party? Are you starting out epic, or do you have history, gear, style, role we should know about?

What weaknesses are you trying to block?

No, we are not starting out Epic. We actually started as Level 1. She's a Phanaton (a flying squirrel person). I would explain more of her history but that would lead to me recounting the entire campaign. I only thing I can think of that might help is her alignment (chaotic neutral). I don't have access to her character sheet and I can't remember what gear she has at the top of my head. She currently is much more of a support character, generally buffing the fighter in combat. What I'm looking for are ways she can contribute more in combat.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-03-27, 10:52 AM
Did you just stick to Bard and nothing else, or did you multiclass/prestige class? Do you use Inspire Courage at all, and do you have a way to cast spells while inspiring such as the Melodic Casting feat? Maybe get a weapon with the Harmonizing (MIC) property if you don't have Melodic Casting, and pick up a Badge of Valor (MIC) to increase your Inspire Courage bonus.

Consider picking up Epic Spellcasting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#epicSpellcasting), which you may need Improved Spell Capacity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#improvedSpellCapacity) a few times to qualify for. That is of course assuming you have max ranks in Kn: Arcana and Spellcraft.

I would recommend hiring an NPC Psion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spell) to use a Psychic Reformation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psychicReformation.htm) on you, so you can repick every skill rank, feat, and spell you've gained since 1st level. The standard rate for this would be 280 gp, plus your current level x 125 gp for his xp cost, plus you pay your current level x 25 xp for your half of the xp cost.

Bronk
2015-03-27, 10:59 AM
The 'harmonizing' weapon property is great.

A really good base weapon for a bard is the Crystal Echoblade. The weapon, from MIC, grants you half your bard level in sonic damage while you're using your bardic music.

Another great item is the 'Gauntlets of Heartfelt Blows' from Dragon 314, that give bonus fire damage to all melee attacks equal to your charisma bonus.

Hiro Quester
2015-03-27, 12:00 PM
Along with the crystal echo blade and the gauntlets of heartfelt blows, slippers of battle dancing (add Cha to attack and damage) if you move 10 feet. Which means you need access to an extra move action (belt of battle, and/or tempo bloodspikes).

Or take Snowflake Wardance (some DMs agree it stacks with the slippers; if so do both) to add CHA to attack and damage while you use one-handed slashing weapons.

And learn Sirine's Grace spell (level 4 bard spell) to buff your Cha and Dex, and add your (buffed) CHA bonus to AC as a deflection bonus. Some of the best bard spells (Irresistible Dance) require you to be in the fray making a touch attack, so have a good AC whether or not you melee.

Though why wouldn't you melee, if you bonuses get this high? You are now a melee monster, dancing lightly across the battlefield slicing, sonic blasting, and burning with every stroke.

Benefit from the extra damage etc, by getting yourself a wand of Heroics for temp use of a fighter bonus feat or two or three. Take TWF and ITWF, but a crystal echo blade dagger in your offhand and really cut things up, burn them and sonic damage them to pieces in melee. You can often do more damage by full attack, with extra attacks from haste, TWF, ITWF, than any blasting spell you know.

Melodic casting plus the 2 level bard spell Harmonize (10min/level Races of Stone) gets you able to begin a bardic music as a move action, and cast spells while singing. Now you can sing and cast int the same round. And cast again of you have a useful swift action spell.

Bards benefit greatly from the Regalia of the Hero (MIC). Badge of valor adds to your Inspire Courage. The horn of resilience adds an extra 50 bonus HP to one recipient of Inspire Greatness (stacking with the regular bonus HP). Help of tactics adds +2 to allies damage when flanking.

That last one is meh, but having all three pieces lets you grant an ally an extra move action. Now your party tank can make a full attack when they move into combat. And you can also (by having two pieces) grant a nearby ally +5 on a skill check, attack roll or save.

Round 1: Play inspire greatness on Horn of Resilience (move). The horn should be tied to a string around your neck, so you can just drop it. Cast Haste (std).

Round 2: Sing inspire courage(move). Activate your belt of battle for an extra move action and dance into melee.

Now your party is totally buffed for battle, and you can dance into melee and either cut/burn/sonic things up, or touch the biggest baddest guy with Otto's Irresistible Dance, then just stand there are take the attacks of opportunity it generates on its turns, as well as full attacks on your turns.

KittyCOW
2016-03-30, 06:58 PM
If you want to max out inspire courage (for bonuses or because you're taking Dragonfire Inspiration for damage) you could:

Take only levels in classes that progress inspire courage.

Know and cast the spell 'inspirational boost' for +1 to inspire.

Take the 'Song of the Heart' feat for +1 to inspire.

Buy and wear a 'Badge of Valor' for +1 to inspire.

Learn the 'Words of Creation' feat to double your inspire courage bonus.

Learn subsonics to make your performances inaudible and lingering song to make them last longer.

You didn't say what level you were exactly, but by Level 26 you can be telling jokes peppered with ancient languages under your breath all day long for a +16 bonus to hit and damage for all your friends. If you have 'dragonfire inspiration' too, you can then let that bonus coast while giving you and all of your allies +16d6 energy damage to all of their melee attacks as well.

Once you hit Level 27 you might have the prereqs for taking 'Epic Inspiration' for +1 to inspire per feat.

You could also look at the 'metamagic song' feat from Races of Stone for help casting magic.

Aside from that, I'd suggest the various luck feats.

@Bronk. I am thinking of doing this myself. Can you break down either on here or in a message exactly how at 26 it's a +16 inspire courage. By my math I can't see above 13.

Bronk
2016-03-30, 08:47 PM
@Bronk. I am thinking of doing this myself. Can you break down either on here or in a message exactly how at 26 it's a +16 inspire courage. By my math I can't see above 13.

Sure... (5 from level 26 bard, +1 from inspirational boost, +1 from song of the heart, +1 from Badge of valor) = 8

So, 8 times two from the Words of Creation feat is 16.

KittyCOW
2016-04-06, 07:57 PM
Sure... (5 from level 26 bard, +1 from inspirational boost, +1 from song of the heart, +1 from Badge of valor) = 8

So, 8 times two from the Words of Creation feat is 16.

Ahh my dm states that words of cretinous won't have effect on The bonuses from spells or items only the class and the feats. So I see the difference there. 5+1 song of the heart=6 doubled =12 + 1 boost+1 badge. So 14 by my count.