PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Putting Together a Gaming Group

Drakeburn
2015-03-26, 02:47 PM
I may have asked this before, but I'd prefer to make a new thread rather than make a new one.

So I'm thinking about getting some of my friends together for a game of Dungeons and Dragons.

- These friends are people that I've known for YEARS. I guess you can say I grew up with them.

- I'm going to run a One Shot game, where the players can learn the rules, and see if they like the game or not. With luck, maybe they want to play another game (which could lead up to playing a campaign).

- I'll have pre-made character sheets for everyone

- Of course I'm gonna provide snacks. The only snack I can think of to bring is Pringles.

However, I'm still scratching my head over how to get this gaming group together. What is the best approach/means of inviting somebody over to play D&D who are really new to the game?

JeenLeen
2015-03-26, 03:04 PM
I would just talk to each of them, individually, about if they would like to do a game. If they're unfamiliar with the hobby or hesitant, you could offer to talk them through some of the rules and explain how it works (both mechanically and as a story you tell as a group). If they like the idea, cool, and if not, well, that's okay and you can hope your other friends are up for it.

Basically, the same as if you wanted to see if they wanted to catch a movie next week.

As a group, y'all should probably discuss some things like mature topics (avoid 'em or not), how often you should game & what happens if someone can't make it (cancel game & play board games instead, or run it but their char isn't there, etc.), PVP or no PVP, how much metagaming is welcome, etc. Some questions might have to wait if the players don't really understand the terms. You should also explain the type of game you want to run (theme, seriousness, etc.), any houserules, and such, to make sure you are all on the same page. Listen to them if they want you to run it a little differently, and find a compromise.

I found how my group approaches games has evolved over time. When we first met up, we didn't talk about it in advance much at all and wound up playing a really broken system with one guy overpowered and another contributing about half the time. Everyone had fun, so it worked, but we got a better playstyle as the years went on. Dipped back into powergaming for a while (our chars had no personality and were just a block of stats), such that nobody was having fun, but then recovered and are able to balance mechanics and story nicely. I add this paragraph to say don't be surprised if there are some rough spots to start, and talk over any issues that come up.

EDIT: looking again at your considerations, the following comes to mind
- These friends are people that I've known for YEARS. I guess you can say I grew up with them.
That's great. I wouldn't suggest it as I did above unless you knew them well (but I'm shyer than most, I think).
- I'm going to run a One Shot game, where the players can learn the rules, and see if they like the game or not. With luck, maybe they want to play another game (which could lead up to playing a campaign).
That seems a nice intro. Also lets them know that, if they wind up not liking the char, no penalty for making someone new for the next game.
- I'll have pre-made character sheets for everyone
Probably good for newbies, but it might be good to let them build their own character. Some players really like that part of the game, while others won't. Maybe make it optional?
- Of course I'm gonna provide snacks. The only snack I can think of to bring is Pringles.
Anything is good. Our GM usually has soda in stock, but we bring our own food. If you are doing a longish game, having a break for dinner or ordering pizza in (you don't have to pay, necessarily) could be good. For new players, an hour break for a food run could be nice, and a good time to reflect on the pros and cons thus far (or just to have a total break, if that's preferred.)

Surpriser
2015-03-26, 04:07 PM
For new players, I usually recommend that the DM or an experienced player build the character together with the new player. That way, they get the type of character they want, while still needing no detailed knowledge of the rules.

As for actually asking, how do you ask for playing a new board game? It is just the same for D&D. "Hey, there is this thing I would like to try, wanna join?"