PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Keledrath's Minor PF Homebrew! (Updated 5/16/15)

Vhaidara
2015-03-26, 03:11 PM
So, this is for things I throw together that don't deserve their own thread. Starting with a set of Rage Powers.

Furious Dervish
Benefit: When raging, you gain the benefits of Prodigious Two Weapon Fighting (Path of War: Expanded) and Two Weapon Fighting. Additionally, when you rage, you may draw up to two weapons.

Improved Furious Dervish
Prerequisite: Barbarian Level 6, Furious Dervish
Benefit: When raging, you gain the benefits of Improved Two Weapon Fighting and Double Slice

Greater Furious Dervish
Prerequisites: Barbarian Level 11, Furious Dervish, Improved Furious Dervish
Benefit: When raging, you gain the benefits of Greater Two Weapon Fighting. Additionally, whenever you could make a single attack (such as an Attack of Opportunity or at the end of a charge), you may attack once with each weapon you are wielding. The normal penalties for Two Weapon Fighting apply to both attacks.

Enraged Talent
Prerequisite: Barbarian 4
Benefit: When you select this Rage Power, choose 2 feats that you qualify for. You may use the first feat to qualify for the second. When raging, you gain the benefits of these feats. If you ever take one of the feats you selected normally, then you may replace the feat with a new feat that you qualify for.

Human
Stormborn: These humans have a powerful latent connection to the Plane of Air. They are able to generate a small electric current, which can be used to attack or power small devices. When used offensively, the Stormborn may make a Melee Touch attack, dealing 1 point of electrical damage for every 4 character levels (minimum 1). This damage is also dealt through any unarmed, natural, or metallic weapon used by the Stormborn. They also gain resistance 1 to electricity, stacking with any further resistance gained, and a +1 racial bonus to Fly checks. This trait replaces Skilled

Flameborn: These humans have a powerful latent connection to the Plane of Fire. They are able to generate small amounts of heat, which can be used to attack or heat small objects. When used offensively, the Flameborn may make a Melee Touch attack, dealing 1 point of fire damage for every 4 character levels (minimum 1). This damage is also dealt through any unarmed, natural, or metallic weapon used by the Flameborn. They also gain resistance 1 to fire, stacking with any further resistance gained, and a +1 racial bonus to Acrobatics checks. This trait replaces Skilled

Waterborn: These humans have a powerful latent connection to the Plane of Water. They are able to generate small amounts of cold water, which can be used to attack or chill small objects. When used offensively, the Waterborn may make a Melee Touch attack, dealing 1 point of cold damage for every 4 character levels (minimum 1). This damage is also dealt through any unarmed, natural, or metallic weapon used by the Waterborn. They also gain resistance 1 to cold, stacking with any further resistance gained, and a +1 racial bonus to Swim checks. This trait replaces Skilled

Earthborn: These humans have a powerful latent connection to the Plane of Earth. They are able to call upon the solidity of the earth itself to reinforce their muscles. The physical stature of Earthborn lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever an Earthborn is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for a Combat Maneuver Bonus or Combat Maneuver Defense (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the Earthborn is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. An Earthborn is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature's special attacks based on size (such as grab or swallow whole) can affect him. An Earthborn can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category. This trait replaces Skilled.

Combat Form [Combat]
Prerequisites: BAB +1 OR Knowledge (Martial) 1 rank, Str 13 OR Dex 13 OR Con 13 OR Int 13
Benefit: At the beginning of your turn as a free action, choose +1 to Attack Rolls and Combat Maneuver Checks, +1 to AC and CMD, +2 to Damage Rolls, or +2 Temporary HP. Until the beginning of your next turn, you gain the chosen bonus
Additionally, choose -1 to Attack Rolls and Combat Maneuver Checks, -1 to AC, or -2 to Damage Rolls. You receive the chosen penalty until the beginning of your next turn
At BAB +4, and every +4 thereafter, increase the bonuses to Attack Rolls, Combat Maneuver Checks, AC and CMD by +1, the bonus to Damage Rolls by +2, and the granted Temporary HP by 2. Also increase the penalties accordingly (-1 to Attack Rolls and Combat Maneuver Checks, -1 to AC and CMD, -2 to Damage Rolls)
You may not receive a bonus and take a penalty to the same score
Special: If you are using a weapon two handed and choose a bonus to Damage Rolls, increase it by 50%. If you choose a penalty to Damage Rolls, decrease it by 50%
If you are using a weapon in each hand and choose to gain a bonus to AC and CMD, increase it by 50%. If you choose a penalty to AC and CMD, decrease it by 50%
If you are using a shield and choose temporary HP, increase the amount gained by 50%
If you are not using your offhand for any purpose (Two handed fighting, Two Weapon Fighting, Shield, spellcasting, etc), and choose to receive a bonus to Attack Rolls and Combat Maneuver Checks, increase it by 50%. If you choose a penalty to Attack Rolls and Combat Maneuver checks, decrease it by 50%
Special: This feat counts as Power Attack, Martial Power, and Combat Expertise for the purpose of meeting prerequisites. Further, you may use whichever ability score you used to qualify for this feat in place of Int, Con, or Str for feats requiring Power Attack, Martial Power, or Combat Expertise

Stance Mastery [Combat]
Prerequisite: Initiator Level 10
Benefit: Choose one first level stace. When you adopt a higher level stance from the same discipline, you may choose to also gain the effects of your chosen stance, acting at 1/2 your Initiator Level.

Take Aim [Combat]
Prerequisite: BAB +6
Benefit: You may spend a standard action to take aim at a target. If you do so, your next attack, if made against the chosen target, receives a +1 bonus to hit for the purposes of negating range penalties. If you are not suffering range penalties, then this bonus is instead added to the face value of your die, to a maximum of natural 20. If you instead spend a full round action, you gain double the bonus. You may take aim multiple turns in a row on the same target. The bonuses stack. The bonus goes away if you spend a turn neither taking aim or attacking the target
Example: Spectre is at a range of 200ft from his target. As he is using a standard longbow, he is taking a -2 penalty to hit for range. He spends three rounds taking aim. The first round negates his range penalty, and the second two result in a +4 to the face value of his die. Therefore, if he rolls a 16 or higher, he is treated as rolling a natural 20.
Special: If you have a pool of Grit, this feat gains the [Grit] tag and you may spend 1 point of Grit as a free action to simulate taking aim as a standard action.
Special: If you have a power point pool, this feat gains the [Psionic] tag and you may spend 5 power points as a free action to simulate taking aim as a standard action.

Improved Take Aim [Combat]
Prerequisite: BAB +11, Take Aim
Benefit: You may spend a standard action to take aim at a target. If you do so, your next attack, if made against the chosen target, receives a +2 bonus to hit for the purposes of negating range penalties. If you are not suffering range penalties, then this bonus is instead added to the face value of your die, to a maximum of natural 20. If you instead spend a full round action, you gain double the bonus. You may take aim multiple turns in a row on the same target. The bonuses stack. The bonus goes away if you spend a turn neither taking aim or attacking the target
Special: If you have a pool of Grit, this feat gains the [Grit] tag and you may spend 1 point of Grit as a free action to simulate taking aim as a standard action.
Special: If you have a power point pool, this feat gains the [Psionic] tag and you may spend 5 power points as a free action to simulate taking aim as a standard action.

Greater Take Aim [Combat]
Prerequisite: BAB +16, Improved Take Aim, Take Aim
Benefit: You may spend a standard action to take aim at a target. If you do so, your next attack, if made against the chosen target, receives a +3 bonus to hit for the purposes of negating range penalties. If you are not suffering range penalties, then this bonus is instead added to the face value of your die, to a maximum of natural 20. If you instead spend a full round action, you gain double the bonus. You may take aim multiple turns in a row on the same target. The bonuses stack. The bonus goes away if you spend a turn neither taking aim or attacking the target

Unusual Expertise: Choose any skill. That skill is a class skill for you. This trait may be selected multiple times

Added Combat Form

Added Stance Mastery
Added Formatting

Added Changelog
Added Unusual Expertise
Added scaling to Stormborn, Flameborn, and Waterborn

Elricaltovilla
2015-03-26, 03:24 PM
What's the action for drawing weapons when you rage? I assume free, which is good but it still provokes unless you want to do something about that. Otherwise this is a pretty nice series of rage powers, I'd definitely consider using them.

Where's my Perfect Awesomeness discipline?:smalltongue:

Vhaidara
2015-03-26, 03:33 PM
What's the action for drawing weapons when you rage? I assume free, which is good but it still provokes unless you want to do something about that. Otherwise this is a pretty nice series of rage powers, I'd definitely consider using them.

It's part of the action of beginning the rage.

Where's my Perfect Awesomeness discipline?:smalltongue:

It will likely get it's own thread. I'm still deciding how silly I want to be with it.

This just happened to be something I picked out of a book. I've been listening to audiobooks of the Belgariad lately, and one of the characters, for precisely one fight so far, went with TWF, and was good with it. Also, I like the idea of rage powers that grant feats while raging, and PTWF just fits with a raging barbarian on a very satisfying level.

Elricaltovilla
2015-03-26, 03:34 PM
I loved the Belgariad. I read a lot of David Edding's stuff growing up. Have you read his Sparhawk trilogy?

Vhaidara
2015-03-26, 04:01 PM
I loved the Belgariad. I read a lot of David Edding's stuff growing up. Have you read his Sparhawk trilogy?

That was actually where I started, and the idea of Sparhawk with both his sword and the Spear of Aldreas inspired the combat style of my titular character, Keledrath.

My dad and uncle swapped books a lot over the years, so we ended up having all of the Sparhawk trilogies, but only books 2 and 3 of the Mallorean.

Oh, and the two of us read The Dreamers as they came out.

stack
2015-03-26, 04:10 PM
Might be considered too strong on the Paizo boards, but I like them. As well as I like any TWF stuff, not my favorite style.

Vhaidara
2015-03-26, 04:29 PM
Might be considered too strong on the Paizo boards, but I like them. As well as I like any TWF stuff, not my favorite style.

Toughness is too strong for the Paizo boards. That's why I don't care about their opinions :smalltongue:

MojoBojangles
2015-03-26, 04:31 PM
Cool stuff, Keledrath. TWF is always nice to see. I can't think of a time that I liked it as much as this, so that's refreshing. And those book series I'll have to look into also. Thanks for sharing.

Vhaidara
2015-03-31, 11:28 AM
I actually had a thought while designing these: what would opinions be on the following

Raging Knowledge: When you select this Rage Power, choose any 2 feats that you qualify for. You may use the first feat to qualify for the second. While raging, you gain the benefits of these two feats.

Name needs work, but the idea is that you have combat abilities that are only available in rage. For example, if you character discards weapons when raging, you could select Improved Unarmed Strike and Greater Unarmed Strike. Or, for a more traditional Barbarian, grab Cleave and Great Cleave.

stack
2015-03-31, 12:21 PM
Hmm, a raging martial flexibility, interesting. Its strong, relative to the early levels of martial flexibility, lacking an action cost and limited in use only by your rage rounds. Hard to say on balance, given the state of 'balance' that exists for martials. I would say make it a chain, each granting a feat, but then you could just take feats in their place.

Misread it, thought you could change the feats each time. If its fixed feats, 2/rage power, then I think its great.

RedOndjage
2015-03-31, 11:40 PM
Can we get Keledrath's Rage Powers added to the PoW playtest material? I think they'd be great for barbarians, especially the barbarian archetype in the play test.

Vhaidara
2015-04-01, 04:23 PM
Can we get Keledrath's Rage Powers added to the PoW playtest material? I think they'd be great for barbarians, especially the barbarian archetype in the play test.

Unlikely, as I have no official affiliation with DSP. Also, I don't think Rage Powers are really the kind of thing that would go into PoW:E. Thank you for the compliment, however.

I've added Enraged Talent to the first post, which lets you grab two feats. I believe Rage Talents default to not being able to be taken multiple times. If not, then I need to add a clause about that.

RedOndjage
2015-04-01, 08:40 PM
Why the level 11 requirement on Greater Furious Dervish? Don't all rage powers have even level requirements? Shouldn't it be 10? Also, would you consider tying the double hit mechanic to Improved Furious Dervish? An extra hit once or twice a round doesn't quite compete with the pounce ability a barbarian could get at level 10, unless I'm missing something? Getting it four levels earlier might make it seem a little more attractive.

Vhaidara
2015-04-02, 10:02 AM
Why the level 11 requirement on Greater Furious Dervish? Don't all rage powers have even level requirements? Shouldn't it be 10? Also, would you consider tying the double hit mechanic to Improved Furious Dervish? An extra hit once or twice a round doesn't quite compete with the pounce ability a barbarian could get at level 10, unless I'm missing something? Getting it four levels earlier might make it seem a little more attractive.

It happens when your BAB hits 11, which is when you can actually take GTWF. As far as the double hit, the goal was to give 2 things while raging with each power

Basic: PTWF and TWF (basic combat style feats)
Improved: ITWF and Double Slice (next step up the chain + full Str mod with offhand weapon)
Greater: GTWF and 2 attacks in place of 1 (no more feats aside from GTWF, but consider that this triggers on charge, on AoO, on move and hit, whenever you would make 1 attack)

If I shifted the double hit back to Improved, then Greater would literally be completely pointless

Vhaidara
2015-04-03, 04:06 PM
Just added 4 racial options for humans that trade skilled. Yes, Earthborn is Powerful Build. No, it does not follow the pattern. No, it is not being changed to Acid. That is a stupid association that should not exist.

Vhaidara
2015-05-16, 09:21 AM
Added the Take Aim feat chain, which is aimed at assisting sniper-style characters by allowing them to negate range penalties and guarantee that head shot (because we all know a sniper should be able to land that head shot, especially given a full minute to set up)

Vhaidara
2015-05-18, 09:19 PM
No thoughts on Take Aim? Or the human variants, for that matter?

Xerlith
2015-05-20, 12:11 PM
I like the Stormborn one.

About Take Aim: Two things stand out.
First: The feat does not restrict to ranged weapons. Is that intended?
Second: As it is, the bonuses last indefinitely so you can Take Aim by scrying on a target, for example, then meet them a week later and shoot them in the face with a nat20 from the feat.

Vhaidara
2015-05-20, 12:28 PM
Thank you. They were the original.

As far as take aim...
1. It was originally going to be ranged only, but then I realized that fending off your for while learning their style so that you can slip through their defenses is classic fantasy duelist. I'm actually considering enabling fighting defensively while taking aim in melee.
2. I'll add a clause about it going away if you spend a round not taking aim/attacking your target. Or should it be if you lose LoS?

Vhaidara
2015-05-25, 07:39 AM
Added the Unusual Expertise trait: Because there really should just be a trait for getting anything as a class skill. Balanced out the lack of restriction by not also giving a +1 bonus.

Xerlith
2015-05-25, 05:07 PM
Okay, earlier I skimmed over the racial traits so I thought Earthborn was only a size bonus to CMD and CMB. Now that I caught that it's a size increase for everything but reach, I can say that it's a lot stronger than the other ones. I feel like you can bring them up a bit. Maybe make the elemental damage 1/4 character level? I don't know. It's a general feeling I get that majority of racial features mostly gets obsolete after 4-5 levels in PF.

I like the trait. It saves jumping around to actually find one granting a class skill. Two things bother me, though:
1st - it's not classified as any type of trait. Is that intentional?
2nd - If the 1st is an overlook, I don't know if the trait calling out the ability to be taken multiple times overrides the one-trait-per-type general restriction. I know specific beats general, but in this case that interaction gets murky.

Vhaidara
2015-05-25, 05:16 PM
I might add that scaling. I still love the origin of Stormborn: I wanted a bard who could power his own electric guitar.

Yes, it was intentionally left untyped. I am generally against anything that limits customization. Like, the one that always gets me is trying to get Perception and Survival as class skills. The two are mutually exclusive. And being an Orphan blocks you out of Student of Philosophy and Bruising Intellect. Why?

Vhaidara
2015-06-07, 08:58 AM
Added the Stance Mastery feat. Primary intention is to support undersupported fighting styles by alleviating stance tax (Mithral Current, Scarlet Throne, and Piercing Thunder are ideal subjects)

Xerlith
2015-06-07, 09:55 AM
Have you thought about making it Initiator Level -4 instead? That way this feat will be relevant in more cases - right now it's useful mostly for some non-scaling utility bonus, and in that case it may be even fixed at 1st Initiator Level and nothing really happens.

Actually, I am surprised you added the discipline stance restriction on top of the IL halving.

I am currently dealing in really high power feats so I may overshoot, but how about adding a clause that if using a stance of a different discipline, the stance remains active but at 1st Initiator Level? That way it should be more in line with a feat's power (Given, a feat's like Crane Riposte, Kirin Strike or Pummeling Charge)

Vhaidara
2015-06-07, 10:27 AM
Well, the idea was to let you progress up a discipline without sacrificing the low level, enabler stances (Scarlet einhander, snapping turtle, phalanx lancer, iron pikeman). Also, I didn't want everyone just using it to grab Distorted Clock, since that is a very powerful stance, even without scaling.

The reason for the half IL scaling was to keep damage control in place. PoW tends toward the high end of damage curves already, and some disciplines have very good level 1 scaling (the offensive flux stance is quite good for that). But I wanted to give some scaling, because the impetus for this was to remove the stance lock from people who want to drop mithral full plate down to light armor with iron pikeman (I'm trying to build ffxiv characters, and heavily armored mobility is pretty common)

Vhaidara
2015-08-29, 10:22 AM
Added Combat Form, a combat feat that allows you to customize your fighting style by acting as a generic version of Power Attack, Combat Expertise, and Martial Power. Choose between a bonus to hit, a bonus to AC, bonus damage, or extra temp HP, at the cost of one of the others (I couldn't figure out a good way to handle an inverse of temp HP).

Further, this feat provides support for differing combat styles. Two handers receive more rewards for choosing damage bonuses, but also take smaller penalties if that is where they put their drawback. Ditto TWF with AC boosters, Shield fighting with Temp HP, and Einhander with accuracy.