PDA

View Full Version : Dolgrim stats! What should my CR be?

DragonBaneDM
2015-03-26, 04:22 PM
Hey guys!

I'm starting a 5E Eberron campaign and I wanna use dolgrim a lot. I literally just jacked the goblin stats tinkered with the Strength, and added a few traits. Would you improve/change them at all? The CR is the part I'm especially confused on. Any pointers there?

Dolgrim
Small humanoid (goblinoid), neutral evil
Armor Class 15 (leather armor, shield)
Hit Points 7 (2d6)
Speed 30ft.
STR 15 (+2) DEX 14 (+2) CON 10 (+0) INT 10 (+0) WIS 8 (- 1) CHA 8 (-1)
Skills Stealth +6, Climb +6
Senses darkvision GO ft., passive Perception 9
Languages Undercommon
Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
Dual Consciousness: A dolgrim has two brains operating its’ body, giving it advantage on Wisdom and Charisma saving throws.
ACTIONS
Dual-Attack: A dolgrim makes either a Morningstar attack and a crossbow attack, a spear and a crossbow attack, or a Morningstar and a spear attack.
Morningstar. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one
target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) slashing damage.
Spear: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6+2) piercing damage
Crossbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 80f320 ft., one target
Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.

Galen
2015-03-26, 04:25 PM
1. There is no Climb skill, only Athletics
2. Why advantage on Wis/Cha saves but not Int?
3. Why does a morningstar deal slashing damage?

Otherwise, seems good.

Tenmujiin
2015-03-26, 04:58 PM
To get the CR you need to find its offensive and defensive CRs and then take the average. The method is found on page 274 of the DMG.

Start by assuming that it is getting its best attacks off at all times (and all attacks land but don't crit) to get its DPR (damage per round). So 2d6+4 (11) this puts it at a CR 1 for damage. Its to hit is slightly higher than expected for a CR 1 but not so much that it increases its offensive CR.

Its HP is borderline a CR 0 monster's (CR 1/8 is expected to have 7hp at the minimum) but its AC is exceptional for such a low CR creature (CR 1/8 creatures are expected to have AC 13) and so the defensive portion of its CR needs to be increased by 1 which would put it at 1/4 defensively. Advantage on wis and charisma saves will probably increase its defensive power by about 1 CR worth so it is now at 1/2 defensive CR.

Offensive CR of 1 and defensive of 1/2 overall its HP is low enough I'd round its CR down so we're looking at a CR 1/2 creature.

I'll edit this post with improvements to your stat block.

Type should be aberration not humanoid.
I would drop the int to 8 personally but let it have advantage on int saving throws in addition to wis and cha.
Dual-attack should be multiattack, its functionally the same.
I'd give it proficiency in perception, as insane and stupid as it is, it does have two heads and so probably shouldn't have -1 perception.
It's darkvision isn't given a range, I would make it 120 ft which is in line with drow and other underdark races.
It's skills were too high they should be proficiency (+2) +mod.
Here is the stat block as I would have it, I also fixed the errors Galen pointed out:

Dolgrim
Small aberration, neutral evil
Hit Points 7 (2d6)
Speed 30ft.

STR 15 (+2) DEX 14 (+2) CON 10 (+0) INT 8 (+0) WIS 8 (- 1) CHA 8 (-1)

Skills Stealth +4, Athletics +4, Perception +1
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 11

Languages Undercommon
Challenge 1/2 (100 XP)

Dual Consciousness: A dolgrim has two brains operating its’ body, giving it advantage on Wisdom, Intelligence and Charisma saving throws.

ACTIONS
Multiattack: A dolgrim makes two attacks, once with its spear or morningstar and once with its crossbow or once each with its spear and morningstar.

target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) bludgeoning damage.
Crossbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 80f320 ft., one target Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.

DragonBaneDM
2015-03-26, 06:44 PM
Dolgrim
Small aberration, neutral evil
Hit Points 7 (2d6)
Speed 30ft.

STR 15 (+2) DEX 14 (+2) CON 10 (+0) INT 8 (+0) WIS 8 (- 1) CHA 8 (-1)

Skills Stealth +4, Athletics +4, Perception +1
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 11

Languages Undercommon
Challenge 1/2 (100 XP)

Dual Consciousness: A dolgrim has two brains operating its’ body, giving it advantage on Wisdom, Intelligence and Charisma saving throws.

ACTIONS
Multiattack: A dolgrim makes two attacks, once with its spear or morningstar and once with its crossbow or once each with its spear and morningstar.

target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) bludgeoning damage.
Crossbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 80f320 ft., one target Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.

This is so much cleaner than what I had started with. Thanks a ton guys!

Rack
2015-03-27, 08:16 AM
For complete authenticity I'd roll a D20.

Cyan Wisp
2015-03-27, 04:16 PM
Don't forget that they have resistance to B, S, P weapons unless made of byeshk.

Tenmujiin
2015-03-28, 07:58 AM
Don't forget that they have resistance to B, S, P weapons unless made of byeshk.

I forgot about that, it has been a while since I read the Eberron books. Resistance is considered to double effective HP so their HP for CR calcs be 14, still on the low end for a CR 1/8 creature so it wouldn't increase their CR.

Inevitability
2015-03-28, 08:11 AM
You may want to change that to 'nonmagical weapons not made of byeshk'. It is the way they handle golem resistances and werewolves now, too. A magical weapon is assumed to be special enough to be able to break through most resistances.

Tenmujiin
2015-03-29, 04:32 AM
You may want to change that to 'nonmagical weapons not made of byeshk'. It is the way they handle golem resistances and werewolves now, too. A magical weapon is assumed to be special enough to be able to break through most resistances.

I actually like the idea of them being resistant to magic weapons, they will still be 1 shot at higher levels, 14 effective hp isn't much even if the party has no byeshk, but it them a little bit special and fits well with the fluff imo. The original had DR except against just byeshk while dolgaunts had byeshk/magic and daelkyr had byeshk/good. The reason for dolgrim resistance being so good is because they have two sets of organs I would think.