PDA

View Full Version : Two Sided Campaign

Kel_Arath
2007-04-11, 09:13 PM
So in the campaign I am currently DMing, I decided to throw in a fun twist. The characters will get to a point in the story and then they will switch over to evil characters. Each party will be seperate and I will switch back and forth every week or so (game time) unless they are close then it will be every day. I thought it would be a really cool idea and it will be fun to see their faces when the find out both sides have the same NPC's "helping" them, trying to figure out if they are good or evil. Also the alternate party is the big bad (or good) boss fight at the end.
My problem: When the big epic end of all battle happens between the two parties, how do I do it? I was thinking each person takes two people (obviously on same side) and play that way, but some players are obviously more experienced and it would also make a lack of style (one players playing style for their character). Any suggestions on how to do this would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Indon
2007-04-11, 09:16 PM
Well, if they're experienced enough at RP'ing, you could let them play both at the same time. That might be interesting and trippy to boot.

Or you could just run one side entirely? Whichever the players emphasize more with, perhaps, or whichever has the tactically inferior position (Say, the evil team gets so-and-so relic, so they play as the good team to fight them).

dorshe1
2007-04-11, 09:21 PM
i knew a DM that did something like this once. i think the best idea is to have two groups if you have the time and the players. then after a year or so you have them meet up and have at it!

Innis Cabal
2007-04-11, 09:23 PM
i agree with Dorshe1, works best wit two or more groups

Hazkali
2007-04-12, 08:24 AM
I prefer Indon's idea. If I had the time and effort I'd do something like this becuase it sounds really cool!

In the final showdown there'll be the temptation for players to play the character they prefer more strongly than the one they don't. So long as you have equal numbers of players who prefer their evil character to those who prefer their good charater then that should be okay.

Maxymiuk
2007-04-12, 09:32 AM
Hmm, if it's an actual battlefield, you could simply play things in such a way that the parties become separated and fight each other, and then switch around.

Ok, that's going to need more explanation, I think. Smilies to the rescue!

Let's say you have the Good Guys:

:roy: Fighter type
:haley: Rogue type
:vaarsuvius: Caster type
:durkon: Cleric type

And the Bad Guys

:nale: Fighter type
:sabine: Rogue type
:xykon: Caster type
:redcloak: Cleric type

Player A plays :roy: and :sabine:
Player B plays :haley: and :xykon:
Player C plays :vaarsuvius: and :nale:
Player D plays :durkon: and :redcloak:

In the big battle both groups become separated. Then they run into members of the other group and a fight ensues. You do it twice. For example:

A as :roy: and C as :vaarsuvius: against B as :xykon: and D as :redcloak:. Then you switch things around and have the second fight with B as :haley: and D as :durkon: against A as :sabine: and C as :nale:.

Whaddaya think? :smallamused:

Kultrum
2007-04-12, 12:24 PM
I thnk the evil caster of doom (me) should get to fight the incompitent fighter-type (hes bad at RPing and has almost killed me multiple times)
but if he were to "accidentally" get stabbed to death while the "good" rogue was on watch, i would not mind.:smallbiggrin:

Devils_Advocate
2007-04-12, 06:27 PM
Well, if they're experienced enough at RP'ing, you could let them play both at the same time. That might be interesting and trippy to boot.
And that way, in a way, despite being in a roughly evenly matched fight, the players win no matter what. Well... I guess that if only one guy on Team Evil is left standing and he doesn't have his party members resurrected, but instead just takes all their stuff, then only he wins. :smallamused:

Of course, one could say that, in a way, everybody loses too. But actually, I can see clever players constructing a Win/Win scenario under the right circumstances.

Good Guy: Wait, wait! We don't need to fight! I've got an idea! Just hear me out here. Instead of us trying to stop you from using the all-powerful MacGuffin of the Gods to achieve Ultimate Cosmic Power, you include us in the ritual too! That way we can do all the work of ruling the world and function as benevolent tyrants who usher in a new era of peace and prosperity, while providing you with whatever forms of wealth, luxury, and entertainment you desire, just to keep you satisfied so you have no reason to hurt anyone or anything.

Bad Guy: Hmmmmm... Y'know, that actually sounds pretty good...