PDA

View Full Version : "

ExHunterEmerald
2007-04-11, 09:31 PM
Lately I've been obsessed with Cave Story (http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/) and I'm rather keen on trying to create the main character.
Here's what I've got so far. I'd love input to see who else can add their ingenuity to make this build as true to form as possible. All information will be behind Spoiler tags for those who haven't cleared the game yet.
Base Character

RACE: Warforged. Seems the obvious choice. ...of course, Quote DOES need to breathe. Maybe a flaw of some kind? This build is gonna be all over the place with its feats, so it might be excusable.
CLASS: I was thinking a ranger. I'm drawing a blank at the moment, any other base classes, or prestige classes?
SCORES: Not a particularly high strength--Dexterity all the way. Quote survives the Island by virtue of speed, not brawn. Of course, his big guns don't hurt.

Weapons

Polar Star: His base weapon--perhaps a bow? It'd need a +1 enhancement at the least, though, since it should later be upgraded...
Fireball: Flaming crossbow does the easy part, but what about making the shots fall and bounce along the ground?
Missile Launcher: Heavy crossbow, and I know there're some enhancements, I think in Heroes of Battle, for concussion and explosion.
Bubbler: Now this one is completely out there. Maybe some form of combat shield, rather than an actual weapon, per se.
Machine Gun: A repeating crossbow of speed. On one hand, you lose the Polar Star to get it in-game, but on the other, it's so iconic, I might keep it.
Blade: A throwing short(or long)sword, with an enhancement that lets you use the maneuver that lets you attack all enemies in a 30' area with it.
Snaker: As a combination of the Polar Star and the Fireball, I have absolutely no idea how to make this work. It probably won't be an issue, since I'll be keeping the Polar Star rather than using it to make this.
Spur: This would simply be the Polar Star, given a few more pluses and some way to reflect charging...I haven't come across any enhancements for that in my travels, is there anything that lets you wait multiple rounds and make single, more powerful attacks? (Charge your lazor?) If not, I was thinking of a flaming burst weapon or something, to reflect more dire hits as charged impacts.
Nemesis: ...Oof. Vicious Shock Bow, maybe?

Items

Boosters 0.8: Ring of jumping would approximate the same effect.
Boosters 2.0: A limited form of a Cloak of Flying, perhaps?
Whimsical Star: Something that causes one damage every time you're attacked, I think...
Curly's Air Tank: Just a ring of water breathing or something.

So there you have it. What can we do to get our game on?

Peregrine
2007-04-11, 10:07 PM
Never heard of the game before, though it does look kind of interesting (saith the RPG fan).

I haven't come across any enhancements for that in my travels, is there anything that lets you wait multiple rounds and make single, more powerful attacks?

Either use the assassin's death attack outright, or use it to balance your charge-up against. It's the only wait-wait-wait-KILL ability I can think of.

Renloth
2007-04-12, 01:23 AM
I would think that the Blade might (At it's highest level at least) function as a cloud of knives, centered around the knife.

As to the wait and kill thing, I'm sure there is a feat like Raptor School, a Tactical feat I think. One of its functions does something like that, I think...

Pronounceable
2007-04-12, 08:56 AM
In my own bout of Cave Story obsession, I statted up Misery (took some liberties BTW). I think it can be broken, but I don't really care. Let's see now:

Misery- Medium sized fey
HD: 15d6+15 (67)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 30 ft./ fly 50 ft (perfect)
Armor Class: 13 (+3 Dex)
BAB/Grppl: +7/+6
Attack: Staff +6 melee (1d6)
Full Attack: +6/+0 melee (1d6)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5ft.
Abilities: Str 8 Dex 15 Con 13 Int 15 Wis 18 Cha 20
Special Attacks: Spheres of Misery, Spellcasting
Special Qualities: Telekinesis, Teleportation, Infinite Pockets
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +14, Will +15
Skills: Appraise +10, Bluff +24, Concentration +10, Diplomacy +10, Gather Info +11, Intimidate +26, Knowledge (arcana) +10, Sense Motive +20, Spellcraft +22, Spot +11, Listen +11
Feats: Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Alertness, Combat Casting, Lightning Reflexes, Skill Focus (intimidate)
Envrionment: Any
Organization: Unique
Challenge Rating: 17?
Treasure: None
Alignment: N

Misery is a fey with exotic magical powers who loves bullying people. She's small, cute, pale and feminine with sharp features and deep black hair. She always wears very high quality, flowing, black dresses adorned with silver patterns. She carries an ornate green staff with a glowing glass ball on one end.

Spellcasting: Misery casts spells as a 4th level sorcerer (6,6,3). She knows these spells: detect magic, read magic, light, flare, daze, resistance, change self, charm person, comprehend languages, web.

Telekinesis: Misery has extreme telekinetic powers. Her telekinetic powers function as per the spell cast as a 20th level sorcerer, except as follows: She can use telekinesis on objects weighing up to one ton at will. For weights up to ten tons, she can use telekinesis once per hour. For once per day, she can use telekinesis on an object weighing up to 100 tons. She can use telekinesis on as many as 5 objects at a time. She can maintain her telekinetic forces indefinitely. An unwilling creature gets a will save (DC 25) to avoid being moved. Also, she automatically succeeds all intelligence checks during telekinetic manipulation.

As an extension of her telekinetic abilities, Misery can fly with perfect manouverability.

Also as an extension of her telekinetic abilities, Misery deflects all projectiles targeting her if she is aware of them.

Teleportation: Misery has potent teleportation powers. She can cast dimension door at will with a range of 100 feet as a standard action. She can use her powers to transfer objects weighing up to 20 pounds to a distance of up to 100 feet as a free action at will. She can also teleport any objects weighing up to one ton twelve times per day as a full round action. An unwilling creature gets a will save (DC 25) to avoid. She can spend more than one of her teleport abilities to increase the weight transferred up to 12 tons for all her abilities. This also increases the save DC by +2 per extra ability used.

Misery can use her teleportation powers for other purposes. She can use her powers to access a personal demiplane that she can use as home. She can also choose to send herself (or someone else) into this space. An unwilling person must succeed at a will save of DC 28 to resist. Sending herself (or someone else) into the shelter counts as one of her teleport abilities per day.
Misery has decorated her extradimensional home with as much comfort and luxury as she could get. She is extremely rich and may have traps, wards and/or guards protecting her treasures.
Leaving or entering without Misery's permission is possible with plane hopping spells, but she will instantly know her home has been breached.

Infinite pockets: Misery's teleportation powers allow her to store an unlimited amount of equipment as if she has dozens of bags of holding on her. Her storage for items that could fit in her dress (especially potions and scrolls) is practically infinite.

Spheres of Misery: Once per day, Misery can conjure up to four dull black spheres that appear orbiting around her. They swiftly move to touch anyone who'd dare to get in melee range (reflex vs 20 DC to avoid for every round) in addition to granting her +2 deflection bonus to AC per sphere. Anyone touching a sphere takes 1d4 damage and must make a will save (DC 25) or be overwhelmed by intense feelings of despair and hopelessness, becoming stunned for three rounds. Being hit multiple times increase the duration.
At will, Misery can cause a sphere to explode, doing 1d4 damage to everyone within a 10 foot radius and forcing will saves (DC 25) to avoid stunning. Anyone failing the save will be stunned for 10 rounds.
Misery can also cause a sphere to degenerate, creating a rain of black blobs in a 10 foot radius. The magical blackness covers everyone within the area doing 5d6 damage (reflex DC 25 for half).
The spheres disappear without any further effects one hour after they are created (unless exploded or degenerated).

I really, REALLY like her.

Maldraugedhen
2007-04-12, 10:49 AM
Huzzah! I was wondering if somebody had or would do Cave Story. To integrate the levelup ability of the weapons, I would say something along these lines would do it:
Thirsting Weapon
Whenever this weapon defeats an enemy, add (enemy's HD/2 + 1D6) to the Thirst Total. When the Thirst Total exceeds x, this weapon increases in power to its next form. Remove all Thirst Points and do not add any more to the Thirst Total from the death that caused this advancement. For each point of damage the weapon's wielder recieves with this Thirsting Weapon drawn, remove two points from the Thirst Total. If this would cause the Thirst Total to drop below zero, the weapon degenerates into its previous form. Add the number of Thirst Points it took to advance to the level it is falling from, and then subtract the remainder of the unsubtracted Thirst Points.

Thirst Storage
This Thirsting Weapon may store Thirst beyond its maximum power level to prevent degradation. You may continue to accumulate Thirst as normal, storing up to an extra x points, but you may still lose Thirst as normal.

'X' would vary from weapon to weapon and from level to level.

Arms Guard
Reinforcing your Thirsting Weapons, whenever you receive damage with a Thirsted Weapon drawn, subtract 1 Thirst Point per point of damage rather than 2.

Odds are, somebody'll pipe in with a rule that sounds exactly like what I was describing above that already exists, but hey, I think this is pretty much exactly how its level up system works.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-04-12, 12:13 PM
Huzzah! I was wondering if somebody had or would do Cave Story. To integrate the levelup ability of the weapons, I would say something along these lines would do it:
Thirsting Weapon
Whenever this weapon defeats an enemy, add (enemy's HD/2 + 1D6) to the Thirst Total. When the Thirst Total exceeds x, this weapon increases in power to its next form. Remove all Thirst Points and do not add any more to the Thirst Total from the death that caused this advancement. For each point of damage the weapon's wielder recieves with this Thirsting Weapon drawn, remove two points from the Thirst Total. If this would cause the Thirst Total to drop below zero, the weapon degenerates into its previous form. Add the number of Thirst Points it took to advance to the level it is falling from, and then subtract the remainder of the unsubtracted Thirst Points.

Thirst Storage
This Thirsting Weapon may store Thirst beyond its maximum power level to prevent degradation. You may continue to accumulate Thirst as normal, storing up to an extra x points, but you may still lose Thirst as normal.

'X' would vary from weapon to weapon and from level to level.

Arms Guard
Reinforcing your Thirsting Weapons, whenever you receive damage with a Thirsted Weapon drawn, subtract 1 Thirst Point per point of damage rather than 2.

Odds are, somebody'll pipe in with a rule that sounds exactly like what I was describing above that already exists, but hey, I think this is pretty much exactly how its level up system works.
That's genius--but can you resist the effects? If I want to use Nemesis (which'd require houseruling anyway) I could never make a kill with it without gimping it.

Maldraugedhen
2007-04-12, 06:35 PM
Hmm... Reflex save to avoid the Thirst Points? But what about the DC...? Hmm... I got it.

You may resist amassing Thirst for a weapon if you so choose by making a Reflex save with a DC equal to double the amount of Thirst you would otherwise gain. You may also attempt to collect additional Thirst Points with a reflex save equal to double the amount of thirst already gained from the kill, and if you succeed, you gain an additional 1D6 Thirst Points. You may only amass Thirst Points if you are within 10 feet of the enemy you defeated with your Thirsting Weapon, and you defeated the enemy within the last 5 rounds.

Also, I would suggest renaming the thread to something like Cave Story D20 Homebrew, so as not to confuse anyone, or ruin the game for people who haven't played it.