PDA

View Full Version : Advice on player lack of roleplay

Callak
2015-03-27, 12:29 AM
I've been play steady with 2-3 good friends for a while a mutual friend of Thiers is M. M doesn't participate in group roleplay ( not to say he can't role play M makes a monotone character build and plays that. Warforged blacksmith and that's all he does) Almost to the point were I have 3 eager adventurers carousing ignoring plot hooks as much as taking them and generally speaking having fun. Despite my desire for serious DnD ( how I started playing) my group s are full of shenanigans and ludicrous tales while lurking in the background is a singular grumpy stoic monotone character. I've talked to him about what he wants to do with his character and apparently nothing . any ideas welcome

goto124
2015-03-27, 12:43 AM
What did he say when you talked to him OOCly? Did he brush you off or something?

Beta Centauri
2015-03-27, 12:47 AM
Well, if he's not actually preventing the others from having fun, and won't speak up about what he actually wants, just let him be. Some people don't get into that aspect, and frankly if I was at your table I'd probably clam up until the activity turned to things I was actually interested in spending time doing.

Other than that, yeah, talk to him some more. If it matters to you enough, maybe suggest that you feel like he'd enjoy himself more if he were engaged in some other activity, no hard feelings.

jaydubs
2015-03-27, 12:59 AM
So I've DMed for quiet background players, and I've played with quiet background characters. And for awhile, I was always afraid I was either neglecting that player by not offering anything they were interested in, or taking up too much spotlight time from those players.

But when I actually talked to them about it, many just honestly seem comfortable sitting back during games. And actually, the 2 that come to mind are really reliable, good, fun players to have in a campaign. They both help out the party, don't cause any party disruption issues, and seem happy to let other players have the spotlight.

In fact, I'm starting to get the impression that having 1 or 2 of those players in a campaign is actually a really good thing, so long as your other players can carry the active roles (having nothing but background players would probably be problematic).

I'm still a big paranoid about neglecting people when I DM. But as long as when you talk to them they're having fun, and the game itself has enough activity, it really isn't something to worry about.

Kol Korran
2015-03-27, 05:06 AM
I also have such a player- he makes very simple characters, focused mostly on mechanics, and kind of takes a backseat to the others' activities. I was quite worried that I don't involve him enough, or that the others might resent him not participating, but... as others have said... this is quite ok. Some people just don't feel comfortable in the spotlight, or playing. I talked with him about it, and he admitted in his words that "I'm not good at roleplay. I don't mind when the others do, I quite enjoy it.". He is somewhat of an observer. He in fact felt quite pressured when I tried to "help him", and continuously put roleplay opportunities involving his character.

So We all just relaxed, and let him do his thing, while we did our thing, and people were happy. What I DID do, was notice the few occasions when he does speak up and interact, and create SIMPLE and straightforward roleplay opportunities that he enjoys. And he participates more... Not lot more, but more, and he finds the places he feels fine to roleplay in. And when he's not, it is fine.

So my suggestion- talk to the player, but be ready to just accept that he may need his space, and that it's fine.

Karl Aegis
2015-03-27, 05:53 AM
Sounds like your player wants to play an object. Characters have goals and motivations, but this thing doesn't.

Maglubiyet
2015-03-27, 06:36 AM
Sounds like your player wants to play an object. Characters have goals and motivations, but this thing doesn't.

To be fair, some *people* go through life without much initiative or direction. It makes sense that there would be characters in game worlds that also lack goals.

Maybe their goal is simply to be part of something or to pass the time, in which case, they are succeeding.

Mr.Moron
2015-03-27, 06:42 AM
If he's content basically playing what amounts to an extra and isn't ruining anyone else's fun I say leave it be.

blacklight101
2015-03-28, 07:27 AM
I have noticed I do quite a bit of staying in the background when we have table games out my way, but it works for me and the group. I don't roleplay much, in the sense that I am not the party Face, but I show upand participate just like the others do.

I have goals and the like, I just don't tend towards playing big movers-and-shakers in the world, im content with playing a support role and just helping out.

Actually, I find it a very comfortable role for me. I never have cared to be in the spotlight, but I will support the group in whatever they do.

As several others have said, sometimes its nice to be the Extra and not have major motivations, but still support the greater goals of the campaign.

oxybe
2015-03-28, 06:57 PM
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him pretend he's a magical elf.

Sometimes a horse is happy just pretending he's a horse of a different color.

Studoku
2015-03-28, 07:12 PM
To be fair, some *people* go through life without much initiative or direction. It makes sense that there would be characters in game worlds that also lack goals.
They're called NPCs

themaque
2015-03-28, 08:12 PM
I'm with the "leave him be" crowd. Some people just like to be a part of the crowd and play one type of character. So long as everyone else is having fun, What's the harm?

Despite my desire for serious DnD ( how I started playing) my group s are full of shenanigans and ludicrous tales while lurking in the background is a singular grumpy stoic monotone character.

I have to ask, is the bigger frustration this guy, or not running the style of games you wish to?

EDIT: If I misread that line I apologize.

kyoryu
2015-03-28, 10:26 PM
I'd really look at if he's somehow disrupting things, or if he's just not doing what you want him to.

If he's just not doing what you want him to do, but is enjoying himself, and isn't disrupting the game or anyone's enjoyment, I don't really see an issue.

Luminestra
2015-03-29, 02:24 AM
I have a player like that. At first I thought he was not having fun. I talked to him and apparently thats how he wants to play. He always plays a gruff fighter type that usually spend their time in a bar. He typically does a scottish accent. He will follow hooks if I place them for him but rarely seeks them out himself. He is always incredibly helpful in the party and an effective player.

If thats how your player is, I'd say just let it be.

Beta Centauri
2015-03-30, 12:12 PM
They're called NPCs Lots of NPCs have goals. That's where a lot of quests and jobs come from.

mephnick
2015-03-30, 12:17 PM
Honestly, when I take off the DM hat and actually play, I find it refreshing to be a boring warrior that doesn't interact with NPCs a whole lot. It's like the great weight of pretend has been taken off my shoulders. I wouldn't bother him unless it's really disruptive, he's probably still having fun.

Maglubiyet
2015-03-30, 12:18 PM
Lots of NPCs have goals. That's where a lot of quests and jobs come from.

Amen, brother. Plus their motivations to fight. Without the NPC goal of protecting their territory, the PC's could just walk in and grab the loot, while the monsters just sat around apathetically.

"Aren't those humans and elves taking our magical heirlooms?"

"Meh, who cares..."

Trevortni
2015-03-30, 01:01 PM
I nodded. "Okay, then. Someone get me a pizza and a Coke and some dice, but I want it understood that I'm going to need thews."

Billy blinked at me. "What?"

"Thews," I said. "I want big, bulging thews, and I don't want to have to think too much."

I got myself some dice and some paper and some pencils and settled down with friends to pretend to be Thorg the Barbarian, to eat, drink, and be merry.

Some people just want thews.