PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Two weapon fighting

XanOfFiveHills
2015-03-27, 04:35 AM
Hi,

Can anyone clarify two weapon fighting in 5e? I am currently playing a rogue with 2 x daggers or 1 x dagger and 1 x Rapier, does this mean that I can have two attacks or will I have to wait until I am allocated a bonus action e.g. through cunning action?

Thanks
Xan

Giant2005
2015-03-27, 05:06 AM
Every character gets a single bonus action every round on their turn although not all characters have any means of using the bonus action. Your Rogue can use his bonus action to either use his Cunning Action or attack with his off hand weapon at the player's discretion.
Unless you have the two-weapon fighting style as a class feature, your off-hand weapon does not include your ability modifier in its damage calculation.
Unless you have the two-weapon fighting feat, you are restricted to using light weapons when dual-wielding.
You can only equip a single weapon per turn as a free action although you can use your standard action to withdraw a second or a bonus action if you are a Thief with the ability to use an item as a bonus action.

drewdp
2015-03-27, 02:11 PM
Great answer! I'd only like to add that when you get a bonus attack on your standard action via class features, that does not translate to more than one off hand attack. You may only attack once on your bonus action, no matter how many Atracks you get during a standard action.

Easy_Lee
2015-03-27, 03:04 PM
Note that you can't use rapier + dagger without the dual wielder feat. Rapiers are not light. Dual daggers allows you to throw either in place of a melee attack, so that's a valid option.

Note that Crossbow Expert lets you hold a hand crossbow in the offhand regardless of your mainhand, fire it into melee or range without penalty, and add attribute damage when you fire it as a bonus action or otherwise. There's a good reason why many rogues take this feat, and it sounds like it would work best for your concept.

Magic Myrmidon
2015-03-27, 04:40 PM
Unless you have the two-weapon fighting feat, you are restricted to using light weapons when dual-wielding.

This part right here means you can't use a rapier and dagger unless you have the feat.

If you'll allow me a tiny rant, I find this very grating, because the feat is really not worth the increase in damage output, and forces players to sacrifice too much power for what is sometimes essential flavor.

tarlison
2015-03-28, 04:01 AM
This part right here means you can't use a rapier and dagger unless you have the feat.

If you'll allow me a tiny rant, I find this very grating, because the feat is really not worth the increase in damage output, and forces players to sacrifice too much power for what is sometimes essential flavor.

You use the next. Best thing two short swords if you can use it two scimitar

Giant2005
2015-03-28, 04:22 AM

Go ahead and use the Dagger and Rapier combo anyway. Just fluff it that without the extra skill in dual-wielding, your Rapier is less effective and only does 1D4 damage.